DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How did you first started reading wot?

I first learned about wot over all when I started seeing a lot of buzz about the show on my twitter feed and it gained my interest. I didn't have access to watching the show at the time but decided I would read the books and found myself hooked. I did find the first book to drag in places and it took me quite a while to get through but didn't put me off since it's the first book of course it'll be used for set up and world building. I'm very excited to see what happens after flying through the second book and now I'm over halfway through the third

My brother sparked my interest in the series by telling me stories derived from (mostly) TEOTW as bedtime stories, though I'm fairly sure at that age I constantly mixed up the fades of WOT with the Nazgûl of LOTR, and other similar-looking fantasy villains. Oddly enough, I don't think my brother read further than the 3rd book at most (probably due in part to the series not having been completed at that time), but once I finally got around to completing the first book myself, I was hooked. I'm currently on another re-re-read and really enjoying the ride. I'm working my way through The Path Of Daggers.

Edited by VooDooNut
typo

A couple years ago I had found myself scrolling through the book side of reddit, and pretty much every single thread about "Book Recommendations" had Wheel of Time somewhere in the top comments, describing it as an extraordinarily long fantasy series with a lot of long lasting payoffs. I decided to give the first book a read, and once I got to Winternight I was hooked.

I ended up dropping it near the end of book 5, not because I didn't like it but because I didn't have the motivation to read anything, and now with the show out I picked book 5 back up and have been reading through it again.

Wow, these responses make me feel old.

In my mid-twenties, I frequented a bookstore that had a wide and frequently-updated selection of sci-fi and fantasy.  On one visit, on the new releases shelf I found a trade paperback edition of something called "Eye of the World."  In early 1990. 😁

This was before even the hardcover editions were released, so it has no quote on the cover about having been on any best-seller list.  It only has blurbs from Piers Anthony and Orson Scott Card.

Later that same year, I saw the same trade paperback version of "The Great Hunt."  

And I've never looked back.

Game of Thrones first introduced me to modern fantasy. I picked up the ASOIAF books after binging through seasons 1-2 and fell in love with those. Then in 2014 I wanted to try a new series and WoT was the most recommended one.

I started with New Spring because I generally prefer a chronological order of reading. I loaned NS from the library but IIRC it didn't hook me right away. I think I had to renew it once or twice. I remember being somewhat hesitant about the concept of channeling; I was used to the ASOIAF world where only a handful of characters had access to magic and the channelling felt a little excessive at first, almost like there's too much magic. But I persevered and remember really getting into it towards the end of NS.

I loaned Eye from the library too but this time finished it in five days. At this point I was hooked enough that I didn't bother with loaning anymore and instead bought them on by iPad. I binge read the whole series, buying the next book pretty much the minute I finished the previous one. I read books 2-4 in a span of five days. For a month or so my life was pretty much consumed with WoT. I loved it so much I started a re-read pretty much immediately after finishing. Good times, but also exhausting when I think back on it. 

8 hours ago, Andra said:

In my mid-twenties, I frequented a bookstore that had a wide and frequently-updated selection of sci-fi and fantasy.  On one visit, on the new releases shelf I found a trade paperback edition of something called "Eye of the World."  In early 1990. 😁

Exact same story for me but I was in my late 20's...  I was hooked when Rand saw the fade on the trail to EF.

I've been wondering about starting a similar thread myself. My interest was piqued in 1996 by a trade paperback in a bookshop saying "The Lord of Chaos" and showing a man glaring angrily at a woman kneeling in front of him. Reading the blurb I got the feeling that something serious was happening, but I flagged it away for the time being. Then a few days later the same book - smaller paperback this time - was in the Withdrawn rack of my local library, so I picked it up for 50c, read it from cover to cover, and went back for more, picking up a Withdrawn copy of The Eye of the World for the same price from the same library, and from then on I was a fan. Had to buy the entire series, bit by bit ... 🙂

I first saw the book around at highschool in the early 2000s, an acquaintance was a big fan and I enjoyed discussing the cover art with them. Later on my uncle properly introduced it to me in 2009-2010 and invited me to read it. I was a big reader at the time and ate the series up. 

He loaned me a majority of the books, I think even my mom got hooked at one point. The only one I can remember buying myself is the last one on the day of its release. 

In high school, I had a friend who had a fairly large collection of fantasy books. I borrowed 1 or 2 books from him every weekend I had to go to a competition somewhere far from home. The WoT was among them (back then they were 4 or 5 books).

I came across Wot again around 5 years later. I immediately started reading them again. Unfortunately, only 10.5 books were translated into my language at the time. I tried to finish the rest in English, but I wasn't very good at reading English text then.

I thought of starting to read them in English from the beginning some time later. I knew the plot well at the time, so it was good practice of reading in English. In addition, I read the texts within my PhD study, so when I came to the untranslated books, I was able to finish the whole WoT.

All WoT books have been translated now, but it seems strange to me to read them in other languages than English.

7 hours ago, Elendir said:

In high school, I had a friend who had a fairly large collection of fantasy books. I borrowed 1 or 2 books from him every weekend I had to go to a competition somewhere far from home. The WoT was among them (back then they were 4 or 5 books).

I came across Wot again around 5 years later. I immediately started reading them again. Unfortunately, only 10.5 books were translated into my language at the time. I tried to finish the rest in English, but I wasn't very good at reading English text then.

I thought of starting to read them in English from the beginning some time later. I knew the plot well at the time, so it was good practice of reading in English. In addition, I read the texts within my PhD study, so when I came to the untranslated books, I was able to finish the whole WoT.

All WoT books have been translated now, but it seems strange to me to read them in other languages than English.

Now THAT'S a helluva way to practice a new language.

Kudos.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:14 PM, Andra said:

Wow, these responses make me feel old.

This was before even the hardcover editions were released, so it has no quote on the cover about having been on any best-seller list.  It only has blurbs from Piers Anthony and Orson Scott Card.

Later that same year, I saw the same trade paperback version of "The Great Hunt."  

And I've never looked back.

Nearly the same.

I was about 12 or 13 and purchased from Angus and Robertson a Australian book store in late 1990 I think.

A very long time ago, a friend of mine was a fan of the series and would talk about it often, but it was too long for me and I didn't feel like picking it up back then. I did find a cheap version of The Eye of the World at a second hand book store I liked to poke around in, and took it home. Later on, I found The Great Hunt at that same store, took it home as well, but still didn't start it.

Flash forward over a decade: it's COVID lockdown number two. I need something to do. Something to keep my mind occupied and away from stuff that's bad for me (stress eating, alcohol, loneliness-infused depression). I riffle through my books and spot my Wheel of Time books. What better time than now? Start reading, 15 months later (last week) I finish A Memory of Light. It is now my favorite fantasy series.

Well, I discovered this series through the Amazon show. People either loved it or the avid book readers rated it as one. I had to read the books to understand the fuss. WOW! I am already in book four within a month. I am most curious about the ending. How does Rand proceed with his life in Mordin's body with three wives. However, I am a nerd so I make connections to what the author did in terms of physics, history, forbidden history, etc. What I like the best is each character has flaws. After all, life is school. And I do believe that we must work throughout our lives to achieve four global lessons. Each character struggles in one way or another with their on personal life lessons.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, BookLover said:

Well, I discovered this series through the Amazon show. People either loved it or the avid book readers rated it as one. I had to read the books to understand the fuss. WOW! I am already in book four within a month. I am most curious about the ending. How does Rand proceed with his life in Mordin's body with three wives. However, I am a nerd so I make connections to what the author did in terms of physics, history, forbidden history, etc. What I like the best is each character has flaws. After all, life is school. And I do believe that we must work throughout our lives to achieve four global lessons. Each character struggles in one way or another with their on personal life lessons.

Glad I’m not the only show first in the thread.  Like BookLover, I started off with the Amazon series.  I’m halfway through EotW now, after receiving the book as a Christmas gift.  

Edited by William Seahill

I read a post to a writtingprompt subreddit that was supposedly a fanfic short story based on WOT. The commentors kept drawing comparisons to A Song of Ice and Fire saying that if you liked ASOIF you'd like WOT. Others mentioning that WOT had an interesting scientific slant to it. 

I started reading the series thinking I was going to see various iterations of the same characters in different times and lives and how their souls interact in the unique times and bodies they inhabit at any given moment. Like it started off in a medieval high fantasy scene, and then later we see the reincarnation of the characters in modern times (this is what the fanfic story was). So imagine my growing consternation as the narrative kept going on in the same time period lol. 

Anyways, initially I was disappointed. When I got the description of the trollocs I kept thinking of those old cheesy B movies from the 80's and I was kind of put off to it, but I think someone or something wanted me to read this series to I kept it.

It all really started turning around for me when Rand came across the huge statute and started zoning out and mumbling the mantra of the Aiel. Just remembering that scene gives me goosebumps. I was pretty locked in and invested in Rand at that point. Then later Perrin became my man crush. And now having finished the series it's Mat. I aspire to be like Mat now. Which isn't ideal to be honest, but my life kind of sucks right now and it could turn real ugly in the blink of an eye. I'm constantly having to remind myself that I have no option than to resign myself to my fate and reduce the amount of suffering as much as possible by getting as strong and capable as I possibly can and have as much fun as I possibly can before I die. This is why I aspire to be like Mat. I just want to get inebriated and dance with pretty girls before my luck runs out. 

Edited by Dedicated

On 1/20/2022 at 6:09 AM, chongjasmine said:

For me, I came across dragon reborn at a bookstore and thought the cover looked cool.

So, I bought the book and read it.

I came across the much maligned cover of The Eye of the World and thought it looked cool...like, "this looks like an adventure."

I was 11 or 12 and saw The Dragon Reborn on my mom's bookshelf and asked to read it based on the title.

Mom said it was book 3, I asked for book 1.  Mom said I had to read LotR before she'd let me read WoT.

I forced my way through LotR, found it dull and without much real character development.

I started EotW, it was written in the vein of LotR, I put it down, ignored it, discovered Modesitt's Recluce Saga, devoured the first book, started the second, got meh when I realized it was a world history, not a story of the same characters.  Picked up The Great Hunt and away we went.   Never missed a release date after.  (And ended up back in Modesitt's work and liking it better, but not important to this story.)