DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How different is too different?

SingleMort

13 hours ago, Rhavin said:

The show had a good buzz before it aired, the first episode was OK but i already thought "what the hell did they loose the money on?" and then it went straight downhill. of course i'm gonna watch season 2 because I want to see how they will dig themselves out of the hole they buried their continuity and character-arcs in. Pretty shure its either getting chancelled right after season 2 or they'll do some face saving season 3. Apart from all the astroturfed ratings, google trends shows the real picture. Blue is GoT, red is WoT:
image.png.927dc0fc6b6bd251121f09a89a963933.png

But this show simply isn't WoT for me, so… thats way to different. 

I have my doubts that there will be a season 3.  I am struggling to think of even 1 thing that was done well in the show.  There will be those that really buy into the formula - which, imo,  is essentially a girl power series, with lots of Mary Sue moments and a heavy dose of 'men are idiots and weak, whilst women are super smart and strong'.   Some do like that, but I think the reason for the drop in interest (and ratings) is because more people are sick of entertainment being relegated to a form social engineering pushed by the ideologues.

They had a real chance with WoT because the source material was already there to tell a great story that appealed to all viewers, but the showrunner, producers and directors just couldn't resist injecting their own ideology into the story. 

To answer the OPs question on 'how different is too different?'... season 1 is your answer.

Edited by Maximillion

6 hours ago, EmreY said:

Very true, but it would still be nice to compare the trends during the first season of each.

If u insist… the insignificant little red rise at the end is WoT, the blue rise of GoT at their first season (2011) is about 6 times the traction that WoT gained in its.
image.thumb.png.65cbbf480d8e07d2fccab4ff194a25a4.png

Edited by Rhavin

14 hours ago, SingleMort said:

If you want to do an apples to apples comparison you'd need to show data from GoT Season 1 even then I'm not sure how valuable that would be because social media 12 years ago is a lot different from social media today. 

So if anything, the GoT metrics should be understated, since social media surely wasn't as big 12 years ago than they are now, right?

5 hours ago, ilovezam said:

Logain's episode was pretty cool!

There you go, the one thing done well in the show. Kinda.

The scene with Rand's mom at the beginning of episode 7 was amazing! It made me think it was all going to be worth it. I was smiling the whole time. I even paused afterwards and called my brother (who has also read the books) to tell him my experience without spoiling, to get him onboard with the show again. After the episode had ended, I called him up again and apologized. I'm glad he dodged the last episode. 

Edited by Tamal

5 hours ago, ilovezam said:

Logain's episode was pretty cool!

There you go, the one thing done well in the show. Kinda.

That episode, while it is considered the best, represents the the beginning of the end.

In fact, (i)it serves to guide the viewer towards the fan-fiction of ep5-6 (ii)  it collapse the internal consistency of the magic system with a multiple miracle-healing out of nowhere (iii) it definitely put aside the ones that should be the main characters.

Furthermore, from a technical point, it features the worst battle scene ever recorded with, cherry on top, the idiotical death of the king of Gheldean.

I’m most likely going to skip the premier of season 2, and wait to see what the reviewers/community have to say before I decide if I’m gonna watch.

Episode 8 and the responses from the show runner left me a bit jaded. I’m not sure if the direction their choosing and story telling quality are for me.

3 minutes ago, fra85uk said:

That episode, while it is considered the best, represents the the beginning of the end.

In fact, (i)it serves to guide the viewer towards the fan-fiction of ep5-6 (ii)  it collapse the internal consistency of the magic system with a multiple miracle-healing out of nowhere (iii) it definitely put aside the ones that should be the main characters.

Furthermore, from a technical point, it features the worst battle scene ever recorded with, cherry on top, the idiotical death of the king of Gheldean.

It was reasonably well written - unsurpringly it was guest written by Dave Hill (GoT alumni).

The battle was hilarious though - they couldn’t spring for a few more LARPERs?

And lest we forget him - it introduced us to Sir Stepin the Sad, the protagonist of season 1.

I had my doubts when I saw the series being set up with multiculture Two Rivers characters, which was stupid considering that Jordan had already set up a lovely and huge multicultured world. As someone higher commented, ideology got in the way.

I gave it a chance, but after 3 episodes I was so pissed-off I raged quit before the end of the episode. 

Maybe I am too old for this (40ish), and I'll go back to reading the books every five years. I cancelled my prime subscription, so Amazon will not get my $$ for this bad adaptation.

15 hours ago, Rmp said:

It was reasonably well written - unsurpringly it was guest written by Dave Hill (GoT alumni).

The battle was hilarious though - they couldn’t spring for a few more LARPERs?

And lest we forget him - it introduced us to Sir Stepin the Sad, the protagonist of season 1.

I believe that episode was finished before the covid shutdowns, so the idea that they couldn't spring for more logain troops/tower guard doesn't fly at all. Amazon just didn't commit enough money to season 1. If they'd given 25 percent of what they've given to the LOR TV show , then the season would have been much better

49 minutes ago, nsmallw said:

I believe that episode was finished before the covid shutdowns, so the idea that they couldn't spring for more logain troops/tower guard doesn't fly at all. Amazon just didn't commit enough money to season 1. If they'd given 25 percent of what they've given to the LOR TV show , then the season would have been much better

It was made before the CovID shutdowns, but not before the CovID restrictions.

53 minutes ago, nsmallw said:

I do not believe the show suffers from lack of money, I believe the show runners did a poor job apportioning the budget.

At the end of the day, Amazon have some experience with TV production.  Knowing what things cost, they gave a budget, it is up to the showrunners to work within that constraint.  It's not like me saying here's $10 million, go make me a 20 episode series.  Amazon believed the funds they offered were sufficient to cover the cost.

2 hours ago, nsmallw said:

Or  you have a completely inexperienced showrunner who is taking on a mammoth and blew his budget on things he could have done differently.

2 hours ago, nsmallw said:

Considering what we saw of the Tower Guards in episode 6, I’m not sure they would have been particularly useful in a fight anyways ?

it’s possible Covid restrictions limited the amount of extras they could bring, but imo should have just filmed at night to mask the limited number of people on “set”.

15 minutes ago, flinn said:

Or  you have a completely inexperienced showrunner who is taking on a mammoth and blew his budget on things he could have done differently.

WoT is a Grand Canyon sized leap in scale from what a lot of the key personnel on the show have worked.

The shows budget woes remind me of a lot of professional (American) football players. Many of them come from impoverished backgrounds, they suddenly find themselves flush with cash and deck themselves out with jewels, throw piles of money at women, crash Bugati’s into pylons, etc. Then next thing you know they’re declaring bankruptcy.

Might explain why the show was down to using a PlayStation 2 to generate episode 8s CGI.

24 minutes ago, flinn said:

Like the over the top Aes Sedai costumes.

17 minutes ago, Deviations said:

Like the over the top Aes Sedai costumes

I can't believe how bad Aes Sedai politics were either. We moved from caemlyn to tar valon to introduce thr politics of the most powerful women in the world. Only to watch Siuan get child leveled bullshited with Liandrins "but moiraine did this"

35 minutes ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

I can't believe how bad Aes Sedai politics were either. We moved from caemlyn to tar valon to introduce thr politics of the most powerful women in the world. Only to watch Siuan get child leveled bullshited with Liandrins "but moiraine did this"

I almost laughed the first time one of my kids tried that with me.  For the Am Seat to fall for it is an issue.

2 hours ago, Rmp said:

Considering what we saw of the Tower Guards in episode 6, I’m not sure they would have been particularly useful in a fight anyways ?

it’s possible Covid restrictions limited the amount of extras they could bring, but imo should have just filmed at night to mask the limited number of people on “set”.

Yes I wasn't sure if those folks in white n gold were Accepted or Tower Guard. Not very impressive. Hopefully they do better with them as with so many other things. 

27 minutes ago, nsmallw said:

Yes I wasn't sure if those folks in white n gold were Accepted or Tower Guard. Not very impressive. Hopefully they do better with them as with so many other things. 

If you’re in need of a laugh, make a mental image of them getting absolutely steamrolled by Aiel during the Blood Snow.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:11 AM, Rhavin said:

If u insist… the insignificant little red rise at the end is WoT, the blue rise of GoT at their first season (2011) is about 6 times the traction that WoT gained in its.
image.thumb.png.65cbbf480d8e07d2fccab4ff194a25a4.png

If those two graphs are using the same vertical axes, WOT peaked at about 40 for season one, while GOT only hit about 10.  GOT only hit 40 in season five.

I think what's being asked about an "apples to apples" comparison is to see those two things side by side: Season One buzz for each.

The insignificant little rise on this graph looks like it's what's happening in January of 2021.  Long before most people not on this site had heard anything about it.