DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Broken Towers

Deviations

There was a shot of the seven broken towers of Malkier in ep8 that I haven't seen discussed in much detail yet.  My first reaction is that they look more like termite mounds from Africa than broken towers but that's just my predisposed negativity at this point.  Upon closer look, were those towers formed to look like figures?  Past Kings?  I don't remember any lore from the books......

The Wheel of Time

I feel like I can see faces....  Third from the right seems to have arms wrapped around the mid section?  Maybe there is a little totem pole structure?

I'd imagined something like this originally (Great Wall of China given Asian influence)

Jinshanling Great Wall, Beijing – Hiking Tour Tips, Map, Camping

The images from ep 8 don't look martial.  They look religious unless they are historical figures like these...

Big statue : r/WoT

53 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

For some reason I thought the towers would be scattered on the edges of Malkier and not be in a tight group like that. Is that just my head-canon?

The Eye of the World, chapter 48, The Blight

Beyond them to the west lay a network of lakes, the waters glittering darkly in the slanting sunlight, like beads of random size on a necklace of many strings. In the distance, circled by the lakes, stood jagged-topped hills, thick in the creeping shadows of evening. For one brief instant the sun's rays caught the shattered tops, and Rand's breath stilled. Not hills. The broken remnants of seven towers.

Chapter 49, The Dark One Stirs

The seven towers stood plain in the morning light, distant broken stumps, like huge, rough hills that merely hinted at grandeur gone. The hundred lakes were a smooth, unruffled blue.

Edited by ashi

14 hours ago, ashi said:

Beyond them to the west lay a network of lakes, the waters glittering darkly in the slanting sunlight, like beads of random size on a necklace of many strings. In the distance, circled by the lakes, stood jagged-topped hills, thick in the creeping shadows of evening. For one brief instant the sun's rays caught the shattered tops, and Rand's breath stilled. Not hills. The broken remnants of seven towers.

I missed this in my memory.  The phrase "Broken Towers" obliterated "jagged topped hills" in my head cannon.

18 hours ago, Andra said:

I always pictured it more as if the seven hills of Rome each had a tower on its crest.

Not spread out along the country's border (the way wachtowers would be) but still not all bunched right next to each other, either.  Spaced out similarly to the "topless towers" of Cairhien.

The are surrounded by the lakes, so they have to be in the same general area.

I don't personally see an issue with the way the towers look.

Look at Stormseat/The Shattered Plains in the Stormlight Archives.  It's deteriorated so much that most people can't even tell it was once a city.  There's no telling what sort of effect the blight would have on buildings.  It can easily be explained that the blight caused them to deteriorate much faster than normal and so the towers look like natural pillars.  

I also don't have an issue with their placement.  The books never specify where the towers were relativeto each other, and there could be any number of reasons that the towers could be grouped together.  

6 hours ago, Deviations said:

I think the thing for me is that these look like anthills.  Structurally, a tower should be hollow unless it's a statue.

Yeah, those are more like the remains of columns that have weathered with time.  Rather than towers that have been broken.

Also - the earlier depiction of Paaren Disen is supposed to show 3000+ years of abandonment.  While the Towers of Malkier have only been vacant for about fifty years.  The parts of the towers that remain would hardly be eroded at all.

Edited by Andra

3 hours ago, AdamA said:

They're in the EOTW comic and look much more like jagged, broken hilltops, much less like intact towers overtaken by invasive vines:

SevenTowers-WoTComics.png

I have looked a lot of different Seven Towers of Malkieri images and they all have a similar look/feel to what was shown on the show.   I havent read the last GN of EOTW and now I learn there was a comic - guess that is next on my to find list.  ?

On 1/14/2022 at 8:02 AM, ArrylT said:

I have looked a lot of different Seven Towers of Malkieri images and they all have a similar look/feel to what was shown on the show.   I havent read the last GN of EOTW and now I learn there was a comic - guess that is next on my to find list.  ?

I bought the series month to month when it was released! Some great art and some of the covers are really nice.

• 2 weeks later...