DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

From the Age of Legends and other artifacts

Jsbrads2

I don’t recall mines in the books discussing things like that. The only mine I recall is beyond Bearlon there is a gold mine and everyone is jealous of Morgase because if she needs more gold she can just dig it up. And the mining Perrin funded for iron in Mt of Mist, but it also had silver. 

Elayne mentioned mining towns that mined for metal in the Mountains Of Mist. She spoke of them, because her mother, and even previous Queens had issues with those towns off and on during their reigns, and it is described clearly that their difficulty with those towns is what helped the Two Rivers isolation from the Queen for that period of time.

1 hour ago, wotfan4472 said:

Elayne mentioned mining towns that mined for metal in the Mountains Of Mist. She spoke of them, because her mother, and even previous Queens had issues with those towns off and on during their reigns, and it is described clearly that their difficulty with those towns is what helped the Two Rivers isolation from the Queen for that period of time.

Am aluminum mine was mentioned at one point.

1 hour ago, Agitel said:

Am aluminum mine was mentioned at one point.

Going off on a tangent here - how did they smelt/use aluminium in the Third Age?  Or did they just use the mineral for dyes or whatnot?

Edited by EmreY

Guest Cranglevoid
23 hours ago, EmreY said:

Going off on a tangent here - how did they smelt/use aluminium in the Third Age?  Or did they just use the mineral for dyes or whatnot?

They used an alchemic and very much secret formula called dragonfart to smelt it. It's not really mentioned in the books or anywhere else, but it's a fair assumption that holds up to scrutiny.

As a sidenote, this was tied to a system where only the people who actually processed the metal were allowed to trade with it. In other words, he who smelt the dragonfart, dealt the dragonfart.

Edited by Cranglevoid

If they are referring to metal mines and not mining metal ore a necessary precursor to attaining metal… then aluminum can be melted and cast. They can also grind it for other applications.

Alum was on Elayne’s “private” land.

The only other mine I recall was the gold mine close to Two Rivers, but not in TRs.