DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What I like best about the TV series:

EmreY

The comments and speculation on the part of those who haven't read the books before.

The greatest speculation is of course about who the Dragon is, and I love the "Four/Five-in-One", "Mat is", "Nynaeve is", "Rand is", "Egwene is" etc theories, which sometimes cover ground not seen until later books.  The best one (for me, at least) is the application of a Bayesian analysis to who the DR might be, whose author gets massive points from a like-minded soul like me.  

But really, almost all the non-book readers seem to be having a good time regardless of whether they're concentrating on the Dragon.

I guess I should respond seriously. 

The cast is almost uniformly amazing, and gets my choice. The only thing that's preventing some of them taking over head canon completely is the writing decisions. (eg. Madeline would be perfect as Egwene, but her character is too certain in herself too early, so Egwene isn't perfect). But I really like the job all 7 mains are doing, and even the supporting roles are well cast and acted.  A-

I'll wait until the end of the season to give my final grades.

I love that it reminded me of how much I loved the books (as perfectly imperfect as they are: I am transported to my younger self). I love that it made me realise I could register for this site and that forums are still a thing!

I love watching the show with my guy (non-reader) and that he loves it and absolutely does not want my input or theories or even innocent questions, because 'I might spoiler things'.

I love the show for what it is, and it is a perfectly fine show so far, as can be expected, for me. I know it could be better, I know there is improvement needed, but it's of to a good start. And I love love love discussing that with y'all!

I love that the show has a really cohesive visual design. The costumes and set pieces and backdrops just go together in a really satisfying way. I was thinking about how The Ways set piece looked in the most recent episode. At first I thought it was a bit simple and limited, but then I grouped it with everything else I've seen in the show so far and it certainly fits the aesthetic. If anything, the design of the show feels more theatrical than cinematographic, and I like that. And if they took money from the set to throw towards the acting chops of this group it is definitely a worthy investment. The acting is phenomenal.

Edited by VooDooNut
spelling

I enjoy how it won't warp my images and interpretations when reading the books again. I've never been a one to one guy when it comes to books vs. visual mediums. I understand the need for differences and alterations. But this adaptation is practically a fan fiction where someone forgot to change the names in their word document before sending it off to an agent.

And to say you enjoy non-book readers speculation is humorous because do any of us really know how this is gonna end up? If you're so certain, I honestly don't know what WoT narrative thread you're still following lol

Edited by edman

All of the actors are good but Zoë Robins as Nynaeve is amazing. 

I love the scenes of Nynaeve and Lan as they first get to know each other. It's cute. And Zoë is so good at letting Nynaeve feelings dance across her face.

I like Alanna so much in the show that I'm not sure how I'm going to handle a thing that she does in the books. I have Feelings about this, folks. Like serious Emotions.

The sets and backdrops and whatnot. Makes me want to go explore that world ....

"You stupid boy" ?? I have teenage sons and they have friends and I find a use for this quote at least twice a day. You gotta get the emphasis JUST right though.

I actually really like how they kept the focus off of Rand until he was ready to admit to himself and Moraine that it was him. I think we could have used a few more lines from Tam during the fever dream, but that could have taken away from......

.....Tigraine's Badass Birth Brawl. I loved it. The actress/stunt woman who did this deserves like a bonus or a fancy dessert named after her or maybe a Mountain. Like dude. She was heckin on FIRE ???????

All the haters make me sad. I'm really sorry you're not having fun with this. It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how.

The very best thing for me so far though is watching with my 14 year old(non reader) and when Rand says "It's me" my son yells "NOOOOO!!!! It can't be him!! He's heckin stupid!! He doesn't even know how roads work!!!" I explained that Rand learns pretty quickly how roads actually work and a bunch of other things too, but he still seems disappointed.

1 hour ago, Weird_Old_Lady said:

Tigraine's Badass Birth Brawl. I loved it. The actress/stunt woman who did this deserves like a bonus or a fancy dessert named after her or maybe a Mountain. Like dude. She was heckin on FIRE ???????

Absolutely hope she gets to come back to do more flashbacks in the future, she deserves the exposure and paycheck ?

On 12/16/2021 at 3:37 PM, Jaysen Gore said:

I guess I should respond seriously. 

The cast is almost uniformly amazing, and gets my choice. The only thing that's preventing some of them taking over head canon completely is the writing decisions. (eg. Madeline would be perfect as Egwene, but her character is too certain in herself too early, so Egwene isn't perfect). But I really like the job all 7 mains are doing, and even the supporting roles are well cast and acted.  A-

I'll wait until the end of the season to give my final grades.

Reread TEOFW for Egwene. While she is respectful of authority figures and looks up more to Aes Sedai and Nynaeve but in her interactions with boys, she bossed them around and showed them up, a lot. I think show and the actress portrayed Egwene as she is early in the books, spot on.

I felt, other than Min and Mat, everybody was a good match for their character, embodying the essence of their characters.

Mat was too dark early on, before the dagger. I felt it made juxtaposition of pre-dagger Mat and dagger Mat less obvious. And Min, is also too world weary than book Min.

Edited by Masha

26 minutes ago, Masha said:

Reread TEOFW for Egwene. While she is respectful of authority figures and looks up more to Aes Sedai and Nynaeve but in her interactions with boys, she bossed them around and showed them up, a lot. I think show and the actress portrayed Egwene as she is early in the books, spot on.

I felt, other than Min and Mat, everybody was a good match for their character, embodying the essence of their characters.

Mat was too dark early on, before the dagger. I felt it made juxtaposition of pre-dagger Mat and dagger Mat less obvious. And Min, is also too world weary than book Min.

On Egwene, I don't think she'd be putting herself as forward as she does with Nyn or Moiraine in the room. And I think she would have been a little more "let me out of here" in a room with Nyn and Siuan.

On Mat and Min, I agree, but I put those changes on the writing, and not on the acting. The acting for both of them was great.