DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Favorite Book moments that didn’t make the Show. Thus far!

The Rusty Grab

My personal favourite moment that we probably won't see is whene Rand is in the throne room after accidentally falling into the palace gardens and everything is fine, then Elaida goes:

“A shepherd from the Two Rivers,” she said softly, a whisper meant to be heard by all, “with a heron-mark sword.”

Jordan, Robert. The Eye Of The World (The Wheel of Time) (p. 566). Little, Brown Book Group. Kindle Edition.

The whole scene was great, and I think it did a great job of reinforcing just how big a threat a blademaster can be.

5 minutes ago, Chivalry said:

Caemlyn, Rand goes before the Queen...Elaida declaring that the world will fall into strife, and "this man stands at the heart of it". Gareth Byrne stating emphatically that Rand's heron-marked blade belongs with him, and he with it. That whole scene still gives me goosebumps.

Def. I really hope something of it will be next season, but not certain it will

25 minutes ago, Ralph said:

I might riot if they don't 

Oh, I understand. I just think it’s hilarious that so many of our main characters think to themselves “What’s the best way to hide this disparate group of weirdoes we have collected around us? Ah ha! I know! A traveling circus run by a flamboyant sex pest!” I love all the circus bits, but I’m also aware that it might be cut for time and budget. 

4 hours ago, JenniferL said:

Oh, I understand. I just think it’s hilarious that so many of our main characters think to themselves “What’s the best way to hide this disparate group of weirdoes we have collected around us? Ah ha! I know! A traveling circus run by a flamboyant sex pest!” I love all the circus bits, but I’m also aware that it might be cut for time and budget. 

They already did that in another film. If you don’t see it in WoTPrime then pause where you feel it will fit. 

Go dig out a copy of The Birdcage. 

Watch that. 

Come back and it will feel just like you got your circus scene ?

For me, from EotW I wanted to see:

• Manetheren speech IN Emond's Field, shaming the crowd of villagers and giving them backbone for what is to come.
  • Lan's mention of the heron mark on Tam's sword.
  • Min's introduction in Baerlon and the dance scene at the inn.
  • Mat using the old tongue in the first fight on the way to SL, with Lan's decapitation of the fade and the remaining trollocs dying... then Moiraine's use of the sa'angreal to kill enough of the next 3 fists of trollocs to make an escape.
  • Basel Gill / Rand's intro to Elayne / Elaida's declaration that "Pain and division come to the whole world, and this man (Rand) stands in the heart of it."

I could go on, but you see what I'm getting at.

I will be happy though if we at least get the iconic scenes... which include Rand saving the Shienaran's at Tarwin's Gap.  (I'm doubting that we will).

Edit:
I wrote the above during a "down cycle"

I alternate between liking the show and being in a bad mood for the ways that they've changed the story.  I would have worded it less harshly if I hadn't been in a funk.

On a positive note, one of the things I am enjoying the most is getting to see it for the first time vicariously through the eyes of my teenage daughter.  She and her mother like it more than I do.

Edited by 2RiversFan
Redirect

I think the throne room scene in Caemlyn is the big one for me, I understand why they moved from Caemlyn to TV for the show, but it's one of the changes that means that scene just won't make it in. Obviously I don't know the plans for the show, but I can't figure out a way for this scene to happen in the show now that would have any of the same tension or weight to it. The likelihood is that any mystery surrounding Rand will have been solved by then, so why would we care when Elaida has her Foretelling? Of course he'll be at the centre of any strife in the world. 

Also that line "A shepherd from the Two Rivers... with a heron-marked blade" is great. I hope we still get it in the show somewhere. 

- Caemlyn Throne Room 

- Extended time with Loial in the Light’s Blessing/ The Queen’s Blessing

- Dialogue and counterpoints about the axe with Elyas to balance out Tinker ideology / Perrin actually killing Whitecloaks 

- Mordeth luring the boys into a treasure room And Mat noticing he doesn’t have a shadow. 

Almost everything about Rand in the Caemlyn Royal Palace. There's still faint hope some of that might be included in Season 2. But reading this thread definitely struck it home that we'll likely miss most of it. One of the highlights of the first book imo. 

I've mentioned it before, but a whole lot of the aftermath of the trolloc attack at Emond's Field. Rand asking help from Moiraine to heal Tam, the proper explanation why they had to leave Emond's Field, Lan quizzing Rand about the heron mark sword etc. So many small but great moments and character development missed. 

All of it. Lol where is it? For me there has been a lot. I know this version is pushing a potential female dragon and ignoring the male and female sides of the one power but I think the boys dreams with Ba'alzamon would have been very creepy but they're using sloppy misdirection away from Rand so that's a no go. Not having Bayle Domon and the journey to Whitebridge or Elyas or Min was tough to swallow. If I had to pick any one sequence it would probably be cutting Caemlyn out and having a pointless Tar Valon story instead.  We missed out on Rand falling into the garden and meeting Elayne, Gawyn and Galad and then Morgase, Elaida, Gareth, Tallanvor and co. I just think the scene with Rand on Domon's mast and then the sequence with the garden and the queen really is the early signs of how powerful ta'veren really is. When the boys finally tell of the dreams that is the urgency behind taking the ways as well as their plan on finding the eye of the world. I feel like they wasted time on Tar Valon politics instead of developing the lore and the characters. I wish Judkins and co cared more about adapting an amazing story and less about non gender binary nonsense. You want that, write your own high fantasy epic. This show would be a lot more enjoyable if I didn't know these books like the back of my hand.

Edited by jonsnow84

The dreams with Ba'alzamon are definitely something I would have liked to have seen more of.  I liked it when he had the figures of each boy and they got more detailed as he learned more about each one.

I am not sure they have really shown how deadly a myrddraal is. 

Lan teaching Rand how to use the sword.  This shows the development of the bond between them that is important later in the series.  It also shows Rand's necessary development into a blademaster, which is also very important in the series.

Yeah, I would have loved a Ba'alzamon dream sequense. I don't remember if it was the first book, but there are dreams where the boys (or Rand at least) enter his 'castle' or whatever it is, there are the figurines on the table, the agonized faces in the fireplace, the way wounds inside the dream last into the waking world etc. I think something built around that would have been both cool and creepy, if done well. Though, I would redesign the CGI Ba'alzamon, the one we saw glimpses of wasn't particularily convincing. I'd even approve of a non-cgi Ba'alzamon if it's too difficult to create the flaming eyes & mouth. 

On 12/12/2021 at 12:36 PM, Chivalry said:

Caemlyn, Rand goes before the Queen...Elaida declaring that the world will fall into strife, and "this man stands at the heart of it". Gareth Byrne stating emphatically that Rand's heron-marked blade belongs with him, and he with it. That whole scene still gives me goosebumps.

Very sad to have this as well as his interactions with Elayne, Galad and Gwyane.