DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Can you hum the theme tune?

Daenelia

Yes!! I have finally found something I am dismayed by ... I cannot remember or hum the theme tune!

How can they not have come up with something memorable to accompany the intro? Now I am left with having to fit the words 'wheel of time' to the GoT music in my head. And that is bad!

(I am joking, a bit, but yes: the music could have been a bit more memorable for me. I am kinda meh about it. But I am interested in hearing people's thoughs, so tell me, maybe I am just overreacting...)

Nope. The intro sequence has gradually started to grow on me after initial disappointment, but the music in general remains unmemorable. It was definitely a differentiator for Game of Thrones that, as bad as everything else got, Ramin Djawadi consistently remained the god of television scoring. I can still hum the Winterfell theme and randomly sing Rains of Castamere while walking down the street years later. Doesn't help that other television favorites of mine from the last few years, Narcos, Dark, Leftovers, Succession, also had standout, memorable music.

For whatever reason, I still find myself humming the Superman theme all the damn time even though I haven't seen the OG Chris Reeves Superman movies in 25 years.

I think the music blends in fine with the credits and the scenes without being distracting while adding atmosphere (except the Thom guitar strum theme which I did find a little distracting), so I think it's doing what it's meant to be doing.

At the same time I agree that it's not iconic enough to get stuck in my head or make it onto my fantasy running playlist (which currently includes the GoT theme, His Dark Materials theme, Harry Potter theme, Bag End from LotR, and the Pirates of the Caribbean theme...the only way I can motivate myself to run is by imagining I'm doing something more epic than I am). His Dark Materials for example is something where I haven't even finished all the available TV episodes but damn that theme is catchy.

they can always change the theme later. 

Mandalorian had a great theme in season 1. The second season turned it into a banger. 

And with Enterprise they had that just… trash “Its been a long road” which they eventually fixed with a proper theme song. Still a garbage pile of a series but at least the song improved. lol. 

4 hours ago, ForsakenPotato said:

At the same time I agree that it's not iconic enough to get stuck in my head or make it onto my fantasy running playlist (which currently includes the GoT theme, His Dark Materials theme, Harry Potter theme, Bag End from LotR, and the Pirates of the Caribbean theme...the only way I can motivate myself to run is by imagining I'm doing something more epic than I am). His Dark Materials for example is something where I haven't even finished all the available TV episodes but damn that theme is catchy.

I listened to the Minas Tirith theme and whatever the song is called that plays during "run, Shadowfax; show us the meaning of haste" on endless repeat every single day driving from my apartment to campus during my senior year of college. Made the rolling hills and valleys of California wine country even more epic.

Honestly I am too busy enjoying the opening sequence and trying to see if they change anything per episode to focus on the music.   Once I get the soundtrack I am confident I'll be able to remember it after a few repeats.   To me memorable means that after say 5-15 seconds I'll be able to recognize it.   So I am not able to hum the theme from GOT or Rome or Star Trek but once they start playing I am able to quickly recognize it and I think the same will become true for some WOT songs. ?

err, no, no I can't. Sadly the tune that came into my head when I read that was GOT. 

I just went and listened to it, cause it was bothering me, considering the amount of times I would have heard it in the last few weeks. They haven't really gone for a catchy, memorable melody like GOT did. It's more thematic and blends with the visuals to give a full experience, but not really the sort of thing that would stick in my head.

EDIT: Ok so I just caught myself whistling the theme song after watching the intro a couple of hours ago because of this thread. Maybe it's catchier than I thought.

Edited by Kudzu

Even though I can hum the theme I understand the point.

Star Trek may be my favorite Sci Fi thing.

Can Hum Themes to:

TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, DIS, Prodigy, Lower Decks, Original Crew Movies (each one), New Movies.

Can't Hum:

Enterprise, Any of the TNG era movies. 

And if you asked me to rank them in order of best to worst - the TNG era movies and enterprise come after all the others. 

So a memorable tune does both I think come from the tune itself being a banger...but also that you like the content that it is the tune to.

Since I actually seem to like the WoT series sofar - faults and all... I have committed to listening to all the songs and thus learned them.

I have hope now. ?

@CaddySedai The Enterprise theme is ... jarring. I mean, I don't mind the song so much. But it is not a good match to the show. Even Lower Decks has a better fitting theme tune (I am so starting to love that ...)

Also, when my guy and I hum a tune ... it always ends up in the TNG theme tune. There is always a hook in any tune to go full on with 'ta-tuhtuh-taah-tuhtuh-daah!'

Same goes for the superman theme, @AdamA ! That is so iconic!

I may have to play the intro a couple of times while working. Maybe it will stick. Maybe it will become iconing in its own right, because it is different, at least.

11 minutes ago, Kudzu said:

Nope, it's gone again. Oh well.

On a positive note Al'Naito is thoroughly embedded in my brain. And I sing the Manetheren song all the time. This show definitely has great music.

Yep. Weep for Manetheren is now firmly on my internal playlist. Thanks, I have it stuck in my head again. ?

Since GoT I think a lot of shows have been trying to copy the intro. I think even to point where they hire the same artists maybe? I don't know for sure but I have been seeing a lot of similarities

Shows should try and do what works for them or it might be like Star Gate Universe trying to copy the success of Battlestar Galactica and tanking stargate.

I dont think Stargate was trying to copy BSG (reboot) ? That it was trying to go to a darker place, yes. But BSG did not have the sole copyright on that.

(I dont think it sounded alike at all btw ... I am just listening to it again)

I do like BSG's theme, but I have a nostalgic heart and that just blossoms when I hear the original theme tune. Which was also quite dramatic!

I've been thinking that maybe WoT's intro music reminds me more of the impact that the X-Files theme had: also not easy to hum along after just one season (of 20+ episodes). I remember that. I did not get that in my head until several seasons later and can now hum it easily.

• Community Administrator
4 hours ago, Daenelia said:

I've been thinking that maybe WoT's intro music reminds me more of the impact that the X-Files theme had: also not easy to hum along after just one season (of 20+ episodes). I remember that. I did not get that in my head until several seasons later and can now hum it easily.

That's one song I wish I could play on the Piano... you know, if I could play the piano.

3 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

@Daenelia I find it helps to listen to the song in a solo instrument to get it into a “hum” state. 

The theme uses some discordant sounds which makes it natively harder. 

Try this

Some of those Instrumentals remind me of this.

And that reminds me of this.

28 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

I like the main theme a lot!  Very scifi but also a bit horror/fantasy. The rest of the music in the actual episodes I've found a bit intrusive and out of place though at times.

I suggest listening to it on its own. there are now 3 albums. The First Turn, Season 1 Part 1, Season 1 Part 2.