DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Casting - Who would YOU have cast if different from the show?

Deviations

So I'm at something of a disadvantage coming up with current actors for these roles, as I've imagined them as actors who were the right ages when the books came out.

For example: I always pictured Thom Merillin as Sean Connery.  Like from Highlander.  Which would have made Thom somewhere in his 50s.  Today, I would go with Sam Elliot.

Likewise, I always pictured Elayne as Jennie Garth - which would have made her 18 when the books started.

Some others:

Padan Fain - Brad Dourif

Bayle Domon - John Rhys-Davies

And I do love RJ's idea of Michelle Pfeiffer as Morgase.

As far as current actors, I'd have to think about it more.

Incidentally, If Timothee Chalamet works as Mat, how about Tuon being Zendaya?

I think it would actually work better in this case than the *other.*

Also, I always pictured Morena Baccarin in this, just as Berelain.

Edited by Andra

Liam Neesen as Rand's dad. In the book when he goes looking for Rand this is the speech he could give when he goes to Tar valon.

"I know who you Aes Sedai are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I herd sheep so I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my son go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you. I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 10:08 AM, Sabio said:

"I know who you Aes Sedai are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I herd sheep so I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my son go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you. I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

That's awesome!

Guest Testeria

Really reading the book I now see all two rivers people (except Rand) as of south Indian physique. There should be enough good actors in Bolywood to take this off. But they would look not enough like Americans and this is the main audience of the show... still pity.

20 hours ago, Testeria said:

Really reading the book I now see all two rivers people (except Rand) as of south Indian physique.

I'm interested in this take.  What are the cues or descriptions that lead you to this?

Guest Testeria
11 minutes ago, Deviations said:

I'm interested in this take.  What are the cues or descriptions that lead you to this?

I'm not sure. They are darker skin, lower height, dark heir. I suppose they also could be middle east or south of Europe - but while reading - Lan is obviously a samurai and Morraine with all this yin/yang magic I see as Chinese so India/Indonesia feels better.

Also early medieval and medieval Indians like Gupta Empire (and later up to Mughals invasion) had much higher status of women then Europe and middle east - that also fits the theme of the book.

The cities on the other hand felt European so far, even more Germany then Italy, except maybe for a baths that should be in separate building I suppose which was typical of north Germany before renaissance.

21 hours ago, Testeria said:

Really reading the book I now see all two rivers people (except Rand) as of south Indian physique. There should be enough good actors in Bolywood to take this off. But they would look not enough like Americans and this is the main audience of the show... still pity.

Interesting, I see where you're coming from, I saw them as more Hispanic.  

So interesting how different people read different things (in no way am I saying anyone's take is incorrect).  I've had them as middle-English with bel tine, something like a maypole, goodwife, thatched roofs, etc.  I think that was prompted and reinforced by the book's cover art.

I would keep the main cast the same.   

I would have made the Shainarans Japanese, in order to simplify the casting and make it more consistant.  Plus it would give an excuse to have Ken Wananabe as Lord Algamar.  You could literally take the whole cast of the Last Samurai minus Tom Cruise.  Hiroyuki Sanada would make a great Uno.

I would also simplify Tear, making them Spanish to match their primary cultural basis

4 minutes ago, Dagon Thyne said:

I would keep the main cast the same.   

I would have made the Shainarans Japanese, in order to simplify the casting and make it more consistant.  Plus it would give an excuse to have Ken Wananabe as Lord Algamar.  You could literally take the whole cast of the Last Samurai minus Tom Cruise.  Hiroyuki Sanada would make a great Uno.

I would also simplify Tear, making them Spanish to match their primary cultural basis

I agree with everything you've written here.

Guest Testeria
3 hours ago, Lethira the second said:

Interesting, I see where you're coming from, I saw them as more Hispanic.  

Btw. isn't EoTW location in the show Indian? Like Nagar Sagar Kund or Rani ki Vav and many other step-wells of the region?

On 1/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, Deviations said:

So interesting how different people read different things (in no way am I saying anyone's take is incorrect).  I've had them as middle-English with bel tine, something like a maypole, goodwife, thatched roofs, etc.  I think that was prompted and reinforced by the book's cover art.

I think they would have been culturally like one thing, but like another in appearance.

So Celtic or Middle-English in culture, but "dark of hair and eye," with decidedly NOT pale skin.  I think Mediterranean or South Indian would definitely fit.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:17 PM, Guest Testeria said:

Really reading the book I now see all two rivers people (except Rand) as of south Indian physique.

i would have gone more Mediterranean (Say Greek, Spanish or Italian) over India

As for casting choices - 

Rachel Weisz as Moiraine

Sam Elliot as Thom

Matt Bomer as Galad

Nathalie Emmanuel as Min

Edited by Cauthonfan4

11 hours ago, Ballistyx said:

Just watched Ep8, and was devastated not to see Ginnifer Goodwin as Min ?
Cute, cheeky, petite. Kae Alexander may somewhat grow into the character I expected, but after 8 episodes, I'm getting used to having my expectations dashed.
740full-ginnifer-goodwin.jpg

I am so happy that this did not happen. This woman is a terrible actress.