DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darkfriends in WoT TV Series (and books by extension)

On 12/3/2021 at 8:46 PM, Harad the White said:

The Amazon series seems to point in that direction. In the Book, are you referring to the main male channelers, such as those in the BT, not the Forsaken? Being the martyrs of the Aiel is indicative, but does not directly speak to their character. Nevertheless, I'd like to believe it.

Seanchan Kill on Sight, Seafolk tie ballast stoines to them and throw them overboard.   Sharans keep them as mindless animals for breeding, Aiel send them on suicide missions against the Blight (Where we learn something worse happens).

All in all, cutting them off from the thing that drives them to madness and destruction and then letting them have a chance IS the kindest of the options seen.

On 12/2/2021 at 10:55 PM, fra85uk said:

Just to put some extra info:

In a podcast someone asked Rafe "Laila - Darkfriend?" and he immediately rejects the idea but then is curious as to what the actual theory is. Then the host tells him the fan theory about how it looks as if Laila is about to attack Perrin and how she apparently looks like someone who appears in a later book. To which Rafe responds "They are noticing things there that are worth noticing. That's all I can say!"

Helena Westerman and Sarah Nakamura have confirmed on Twitter that Laila is not a DF but was coming to aid Perrin

8 hours ago, KakitaOCU said:

Seanchan Kill on Sight, Seafolk tie ballast stoines to them and throw them overboard.   Sharans keep them as mindless animals for breeding, Aiel send them on suicide missions against the Blight (Where we learn something worse happens).

All in all, cutting them off from the thing that drives them to madness and destruction and then letting them have a chance IS the kindest of the options seen.

Might be "kinder" in a sense, but after being gentled no one tries to help the person.  Owyn was gentled then just left at the mercy of his neighbors.  Logain was to be left at the WT until he died..  Not even the Yellows had any interest in studying a man who had been gentled.  They didn't understand why Nyn wanted to waste her time studying Logain.  Some might say it's kinder to just kill the man instead of gentling him and letting him just give up wanting to live.

After a long struggle, I disentangled information from dis-information on "Is Laila a DF?" This is directly addressed at ~1 hour 49 minutes, in:

https://www.theringer.com/2021/11/19/22792149/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-with-zach-baron-and-rafe-judkins

The interviewer asks RJ2 to comment on the fact that Perrin "turns and she has her axe up." He says, "They are noticing things that are worth noticing there." Moments earlier he denied she was a DF, so wtf? One theory, by Ann Elk, is that she is being controlled by a Forsaken. An earlier theory is that she just wants a divorce, and a Trolloc attack seemed a good opportunity. You decide.

Unlikely a Forsaken had any part in this, a forsaken would of had to meet Laila in person to control her (To put compulsion on her etc).  So why not just balefire Perin instead?  If she was really trying to kill him my guess is she decided to "end" the marriage.  One can be a murderer and not A DF, so it might of been her way of asking for a divorce.

Edited by Sabio

11 minutes ago, Sabio said:

was really trying to kill him my guess is she decided to "end" the marriage.  One can be a murderer and not A DF, so it might of been her way of asking for a divorce.

So when RJ2 says, "They are noticing things that are worth noticing there," he means that he is introducing a plot point that Laila is a common murderess, and that plot point will pay off later for the audience? ?

Could be it was just a thing they added to see if anyone would notice.  That is my guess anyway.  But if was a plot point it might be to make Perin not feel so bad about murdering his wife. But then how do you introduce that? Perin discovering his wife was unhappy with the marriage and was trying to use the trolloc attack to get a divorce.  So now he doesn't feel so gulity and accepts he loves Faile.

5 hours ago, Harad the White said:

After a long struggle, I disentangled information from dis-information on "Is Laila a DF?" This is directly addressed at ~1 hour 49 minutes, in:

https://www.theringer.com/2021/11/19/22792149/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-with-zach-baron-and-rafe-judkins

The interviewer asks RJ2 to comment on the fact that Perrin "turns and she has her axe up." He says, "They are noticing things that are worth noticing there." Moments earlier he denied she was a DF, so wtf? One theory, by Ann Elk, is that she is being controlled by a Forsaken. An earlier theory is that she just wants a divorce, and a Trolloc attack seemed a good opportunity. You decide.

I trust Helena and Sarah

2 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

I trust Helena and Sarah

There is no win here. If they insist that they didn't mean the scene to mean Laila was a DF,  but many see it that way, that implies it's unintentional.  Most importantly it doesn't explain the RJ2 quote, "They are noticing things that are worth noticing there." Who ya gonna believe, Helena and Sarah, or RJ2?

4 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

This could be about something else than Laila being a DF

For example, that she is being controlled by a Forsaken. 

People, may laugh, but it's a bit better than the only extant alternate explanation: she want's a divorce and the Trolloc raid was a great excuse.

Edited by Harad the White

12 hours ago, Harad the White said:

For example, that she is being controlled by a Forsaken. 

People, may laugh, but it's a bit better than the only extant alternate explanation: she want's a divorce and the Trolloc raid was a great excuse.

Or that while Laila wasn't a darkfriend, we should be on the lookout for small details like this about other people who may turn out to be darkfriends?