DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Greetings to the Dragonmount Community

Spiritweaver1

I guess this is where I tell a tale about myself.  I first read Eye of the World in 1994 or so.  I was turned on to it by my step son.  I was instantly hooked.  After he quit kicking out books every year I took to re-reading the whole series every time a new one came out.  I am currently rereading the entire series and am just into The Shadow Rising.  I am blessed to be able to read quite fast.  I love the story and I love the books but I think RJ missed his golden opportunity to have written the greatest fantasy series ever, including the current champion LOTR (IMHO).  I hope this isn't blasphemy on this site but what prevents RJ/BS from the number one spot is story bloat.  I am sorry but after The Shadow rising I began to wonder if he was ever going to finish the story.      Because it is an awesome story I stuck with it for 10 more volumes.  However it missed it's chance for total dominance due to its word bloat.    I have just joined this forum because I want to participate in the discussion on the WOT adaptation. 

17 hours ago, thehumantrashcan said:

Who is your favorite character?  What helped you get through the slog?

My top three characters in no particular order are Matt, Egwene, and Rand.  They represent attributes that I very much admire.  Luck with skill, Iron will and willingness to Sacrifice for others.   What got me through the slog was that I surrendered to the journey and quit worrying about how or if it was going to end.  It helped that i am a very fast reader.  I will say that when BS took over i was quite taken aback by the decision to split the final book into 3 volumes.  i nearly stopped there but by then I had expended too much effort to quit.

There is no shame in admitting there seems to be a bit ( a lot) of bloat in the story. 'Kill your darlings' was not something that seemed to mean anything to RJ.

But that said, I also still enjoyed  the overal story and just try to not soak up any of the bloat! Selective reading keeps me sane ?

16 hours ago, thehumantrashcan said:

Were you happy with the end product and that he was able to include all of RJ's notes by splitting it into 3 books?

In general once I again worked through my preconceived notions about what should be vs what it was, it was all good.  It is a discipline that I hope will stand me in good stead as I view the series version of the tale.

2 hours ago, Spiritweaver1 said:

In general once I again worked through my preconceived notions about what should be vs what it was, it was all good.  It is a discipline that I hope will stand me in good stead as I view the series version of the tale.

That right there is fire.

Keep it up ?