DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thumper's "If you can't say something nice." Thread

CaddySedai

Hello everyone and welcome to:

Thumper's 

truth-if-you-cant-say-something-nice.gif

Thread.

So in this thread I want us to post things we genuinely like about the show so far. Not to discourage dissent - there are other threads for that. Rather I am curious to see what kinds of things make us smile, laugh, and enjoy. They tend to get spread out in the other threads that are multi purpose so thus - the Thumper Thread. Hehe.

And I do ask we genuinely post things we like. Even if you hate the show but liked the stitching on a particular cloak - that counts! So feel free to contribute.

But be forewarned. If you do something snarky like "I appreciate the show will only last 2 seasons" then I will balefire you so hard that the last time in recorded history you influenced the pattern...well lets just say DM looked like this:

858261013_Screenshot2021-11-28231719.thumb.png.0e80ed3cf7d2187c1c15066ff9660c7d.png

So, enjoy ?

I really love the attention to detail in some of the set work. 

Even from the preview clips the Winespring Inn was a huge favorite. I even had a post saying how much I loved the oil lamps. Lol.

That and the Winespring Shotgun weave is tangentially related to it ?

The Birgitte doll got me deep in the feels.  

I am oddly attracted to show Alana for no apparent reason.  I fear a deep dive with a clinician would point to the puppy story.

I can't figure out how scared baby Nyn remembered her parent's prayer but give me an hour episode of scenes like this and I will recruit WoTprime fans at knife point. 

I analyzed my feels so far and I came up with a bad bad bad conclusion. My favorite scene so far was Eamon Valda's  vs unknown Yellow Aes Sedai.  He is also is my favorite actor cast so far. I am kidding you not. I am praying feverishly so far that Galad was not cut and that he is good. Otherwise I am lost to the dark.

Everything Josha is doing as Rand.

Stubborn and suspicion of Moraine.

Love and Angst for Egwene.

Leadership And awareness in Episode 4.

”I’m with you” to Mat.

Loving him as Rand. 

There’s more I love but I’m grateful we have an actor that looks like he can cover Rand’s range. 

12 minutes ago, dorotea said:

I analyzed my feels so far and I came up with a bad bad bad conclusion. My favorite scene so far was Eamon Valda's  vs unknown Yellow Aes Sedai.  He is also is my favorite actor cast so far. I am kidding you not. I am praying feverishly so far that Galad was not cut and that he is good. Otherwise I am lost to the dark.

Oh yea going to be lots of conflicted feelings going on with Valda.  His pat down of Moraine was some seriously subtle evil. 

6 minutes ago, Arthellion said:

Everything Josha is doing as Rand.

Stubborn and suspicion of Moraine.

Love and Angst for Egwene.

Leadership And awareness in Episode 4.

”I’m with you” to Mat.

Loving him as Rand. 

There’s more I love but I’m grateful we have an actor that looks like he can cover Rand’s range. 

Rand is my wife's second favorite character currently.  With the limited viewpoint for Rand I think that says a great deal about Josha's ability carry Rand through his arc.

Edited by CaddySedai
Merged for cleanliness :)

Last time I read the books was close to 10 years ago, so I think that made it easier to initial miss some changes other the the great time crunch. I won't mention the changes that they made that I did not like, this is not the thread for that ?

Heck, some scenes that I don't recall being in the book I really liked the addition of, despite knowing this meant that book stuff couldn't make it in. I loved the expansion of the Logain plot & it's associated scenes. It gave some important room to explore the Aes Sedai & Warders & both Saidar & Saidin, which is vital to the world building.

4 things from each episode that really appealed to me

Spoiler

I am sure I could have mentioned more but wanted to go with first thoughts only

Episode 1:

The Leap of Faith

The Trollocs practical look up close

The Aes Sedai ring (I really like the look of the rings and that each Ajah is likely to have a different color stone)

The lightning strikes during Winternight (since that was definitely mentioned in EOTW)

Episode 2:

The entire Weep for Manetheren scene

The look of the Whitecloaks

The full set use for Shadar Logoth

The dream sequence with Rand

Episode 3:

Nynaeve survival skills vs. Trolloc

The dream sequence with Perrin

The shock from seeing how Dana died

Thoms interaction with Mat at the Aiel cage

Episode 4:

The dream sequences

The nod to Brigitte

Nynaeves coming out party

How they portrayed & explained so much about the one power without it feeling like exposition 

I can't say enough how much I love all the CLOTHING and TEXTILES!

The coats. The shirts. The scarves. The blankets.

I never thought I'd watch a show based on a book and go "wow, that is exactly what I pictured in the books!" because clothing is a bit tough on that, but here I am. It's amazing. All of it.

1 minute ago, phoenixtrinity said:

I can't say enough how much I love all the CLOTHING and TEXTILES!

The coats. The shirts. The scarves. The blankets.

I never thought I'd watch a show based on a book and go "wow, that is exactly what I pictured in the books!" because clothing is a bit tough on that, but here I am. It's amazing. All of it.

Yeah I'd love some of it to be produced for purchase.

I'm very pleased with the casting choices--especially those for Perrin, Nynaeve and Thom.

I'm also reasonably happy with the channelling VFX, which was always going to be an absolute headache to depict in live action.

Finally, while some things may be a bit contrived or compressed, thus far I think the plot and character changes more-or-less fit with the longer-term characters arcs from the books.

At this point in EotW I felt like all the characters were just a slightly different versions of characters I had read before, and I only kept reading because I wanted to find out about the world and the magic system and because the monsters were cool and scary. If you had asked me to describe the characters 1/2 way through EotW here's what I would have said: Moiraine was a really mean Gandalf, Rand was so boring I couldn't bring myself to care who his real parents were, Nyneave was annoying enough I remember being disappointed when she caught up to them on the road because I'd have to read more about her, Mat was like Ron at his most petulant and petty, and Lan was just a walking rock.

I grew to genuinely love all these characters in the books, but it took so much longer -- in some cases like 5000 more pages. In the show, they all felt like real humans who I was actively rooting for within the first episode.

I'm slowly falling for Thom and that is so unexpected. Which I love. I was convinced I'd love other characters more, because I am not that impressed with Book-Thom.

I also really enjoy watching it with my guy, who has no knowledge and I have to bite my tongue to keep from spoiling or even explaining too much. He enjoys it, and I am amazed that I have this feeling of  'I cant wait to see the next episode'. Again, I just did not expect any of that.

Not everything but the stuff that stood out to me.

Lan and Moraine working in sync and the bond letting them anticipate read each other even in battle was very cool.

The one power works really well.  I was concerned I'd be bothered by it visually being present or that it'd look too casual magic if they left the weaves out.  I think they struck a really solid balance.

Mat's character development has been a blast.  He's nothing in EotW until after Shadar Logoth and then he's just annoying.  This made me like him up front instead of being patient because book 3 comes eventually.

Little details like the Brigitte Doll made me genuinely happy.

Thom I think is very well done.  I'm sad we only get him for two episodes and look forward to his return later.

Logain looks awesome and I'll be eagerly awaiting certain later things.

Too many to name but I LOVE the forshadowing.  To give just one example.  Anyone else watch Ila's story about her daughter and immediately draw the parallels to the first Warrior Aiel?  Or the firs Maiden?

17 minutes ago, Dead Warder said:

EP 1: I truly liked the variety of candle lamp shapes, it really tied the set together. It really stood out in this scene especially, I was distracted by them and had to rewatch it a few times to understand what was actually happening.

image.png.9d602eb4bb2d2a88a9662be2a6d895fc.png

EP 2: This Whitecloak here has to be my favorite character in this series so far. I felt that the actor really dominated the acting performance above everyone else and I hope we get the chance to see more of his talent in future episodes.

image.thumb.png.eb441761dda6338cf6c675095f093462.png

EP 3: The meal provided by the Tuatha'an looks like quinoa and maybe chickpeas with some peppers? I thought this was well done but I hazard to guess that it'll give those that consumed it an unhealthy dose of gas - especially those peppers. I'm guessing the Traveling People and the set director didn't pay too much heed and besides, they were in a windy open field anyway so yeah. Well done.

image.thumb.png.c8d3b9c53951cea913162b65fab39223.png

Someone took my comment about stitching to heart. I was going to Balefire you but I know from your other posts that even though tongue in cheek you meant nothing negative. ?

Carry on. ^.-

16 minutes ago, flinn said:

I like that the main characters have the same names as they did in the books and I like the actor that plays Mat.

*eye twitch* that first part nearly got ya sent back in time for snark. The mat comment saved you ?

I love Barney as Mat. Did not think I would, but that guy can act the pant off a donkey.

Love Thom! He's more Scary Warder than any of the "real" Warders. Plus, he does a mean folk song.

Love love love Alanna. Again, didn't think I would - she's not one of my favourite characters from the books.

4 minutes ago, Elgee said:

I love Barney as Mat. Did not think I would, but that guy can act the pant off a donkey.

Love Thom! He's more Scary Warder than any of the "real" Warders. Plus, he does a mean folk song.

Love love love Alanna. Again, didn't think I would - she's not one of my favourite characters from the books.

Agreed - he looked better fighting the Fade than the Warders did against Logain's guys.