DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rafe Judkins Reddit AMA

DaddyFinn

3 hours ago, mogi68 said:

It's cool that you want the show to fail and all @Maximillion but isn't this getting a little off topic?

Back to interviews and news articles :

Rafe is doing an AMA on reddit at Noon EST / 9:00AM PST

Sort the answers to Q&A to get to answers quickly

Edit. All of the answers here

https://www.wotseries.com/2021/11/24/reddit-ama-with-rafe-judkins/

Edited by DaddyFinn

He said that we will "hear the word saidin in Season 1". 

The phrasing of this is curious to me and I wonder, coupled with what he said about people questioning the prophecies of the Dragon etc., whether this world has almost forgotten the two halves of the OP - or even, that the Aes Sedai view it as one whole, instead of two halves, with the men "poisoning" it somehow? (This would also make them more closely aligned to Whitecloak ideology funnily enough, in that all channelers are evil!). Interesting to think about the changes they may have made to how the world in the show views these things. 

Great stuff, and what he's saying about getting out of the more typical fantasy stuff that people have seen before onto what makes WoT unique makes a lot of sense. Lots of people have been talking about that also. Bringing the Aes Sedai in early was a really smart move to try to separate this from LotR, imo. And making Logain a bigger character. I think the next episode will do a lot to show this is its own story.

Q: I sense a lot of foreshadowing in the show so far. Are there things that we are missing and should we be paying closer attention? Also, very well done surprising book readers with Dana! I know you won’t answer this one but was can you officially confirm that Nynaeve kept the trolloc blade to threaten Lan? It is a very Nynaeve move and I fully support it.
A: Yeah, I’m actually surprised how many little easter eggs a lot of the hardcore fans have still missed. Although, I don’t have visibility into a lot of the boards, so I’m sure people somewhere have found them. She obviously used that Trolloc blade on Lan. You can see it matches.

Now I need to start a list, and re-watch again. 

9 hours ago, Deadsy said:

Great stuff, and what he's saying about getting out of the more typical fantasy stuff that people have seen before onto what makes WoT unique makes a lot of sense. Lots of people have been talking about that also. Bringing the Aes Sedai in early was a really smart move to try to separate this from LotR, imo. And making Logain a bigger character. I think the next episode will do a lot to show this is its own story.

Yeah it really does. I was hooked by the prologue, so when it went back to old style LOTR with Rand, I stuck through because I knew there was more to the story coming. Without that prologue to give a glimpse of where we can be heading they needed to do something.

Q: Do you think you missed a chance to make a really iconic episode set in Shadar Logoth? It’s my favorite section of EOTW and I felt it shouldn’t have been rushed over as you skipped Mordeth, the mydraal forcing the trollocs inside and maybe even padan fain’s experience there as an epilogue. Instead, it felt rushed and disappointing all around.
A: Did we skip all those things?

So, that’s cute, but yeah you totally rushed through Shadar Logoth, and it’s hard to understand why, given the amount invested in the set and how well you treated Winternight.

Q: When you decide something can’t make it into the show where it was in the books how do you approach bringing it to the show later in some form?
A: There’s actually a bunch of stuff in Book 1 that we hit in Season 2 already, and things from Books 2 and 3 that we have plans to hit later if we’re lucky enough to get there. I think when you’re adapting it as a series and have so many production/budgetary constraints, you have to be prepped to remix things a little. It’s sadly rare that we can do a scene from the books with the same characters in the same place saying the same lines at the same moment in the books. Often one of those things has to be swapped out.

So putting aside slight modifications to dialogue, and having to cut set pieces like Caemlyn due to actor availability, I’m confused what production/budgetary constraints are making it “rare” to do scenes that generally follow the order of the early books? It’s not like folks are teleporting all over the place. The world is small right now.