DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Finished all 14

Chwooly

Robert Jordan had ideas about extra prequels featuring Tam finding baby Rand on the slopes of Dragonmount and Moiraine and Lan's journey to the Two Rivers.  There were also going to outrigger novels with Mat and Tuon in Seanchan after the Last Battle.

However in a Q & A session following the release of a Memory of Light, Brandon Sanderson said:

Question: What about the outriggers? (The sequel trilogy to the Wheel of Time series that Robert Jordan had planned to write.)

Answer: It’s not going to happen. Harriet and I are both firm on this. Robert Jordan wouldn’t have wanted it to happen. He said that he wanted the series to be finished, but he did not want anything more. (He was even uncomfortable with the idea of someone like myself finishing the series.)

Beyond this, at the Q&A on Monday, Harriet revealed something I previously haven’t been able to tell you but that I’ve known for quite some time—that Robert Jordan didn’t leave much of anything in the way of notes for the Outriggers. There are, quite literally, only two sentences of explanation from RJ telling us what the plot of the outriggers was to be about.

So no, no outriggers. I highly doubt you will see the prequels either, and for similar reasons. All good things must come to an ending. And this is ours.

Edited by Delirium

On 11/21/2021 at 11:19 PM, Ashaman Caleb said:

I’m surprised to see you were disappointed with the ending. If I may ask, what did you expect? It’s probably the most satisfactory and perfect ending I’ve ever seen for me.

delete

Edited by Chwooly

1 hour ago, Chwooly said:

I would have to say after being invested so heavily for 14 books to have it just end with so many loose ends.

Perhaps after The Last Battle, I was so drained that I accepted anything, but I welcomed the ending to WoT. An ending! Hallelujah! There was much rejoicing. I must admit that I wept during the epilogue. I needed Min, Nynaeve, Elayne, Aviendha, Mat and Perrin to soldier on. Rand was the wind and they knew. The final glance between Rand and Cadsuane...I couldn't have asked for anything better.

I believe BS has stated informally that Cadsuane was declared the next amyrlin. I believe it.