Jump to content

DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The big reveals you are looking forward to.


Recommended Posts

So attempting to move on from the disappointments of the opening 3 episodes there are 3 key moments in the books I am really looking forward to non readers experiencing. They are in no particular order. 
 

Realisation that the world before the breaking was technologically more advanced then our own society, with hover cars and amazing tech. That understanding that the breaking wasn’t just destruction and death, but a complete regression of society back from high tech to the Middle Ages. 
 

The reveal that Rand is Aiel and the understanding of who his parents are. 
 

The reveal of the link between the Tinkers and the Aiel. 
 

The second one, Rands heritage, has been already foreshadowed really well. The casting of Emonds Field and Rand really makes him stand out as looking different. Follow this up with the cut between Matt knelt by the Aiel body and the camera lingering on the hair and face, and then switching to Rands face as he deals with the Dark Friend and you get that bit of foreshadowing of this fact. 
 

I have a feeling that we are going to find out Rand is Aiel far sooner then In the books. Viewers are going to make the connection very soon after the Aiel start appearing in numbers and there is no point “hiding it” for a Long time. I did think they would do a similar thing with the tinkers, making them look appear similar to the aiel. 
 

So what are the moments you are looking forward to being imagined on screen, which big reveals do you hope will land and excite or surprise newcomers to the series? 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

So attempting to move on from the disappointments of the opening 3 episodes there are 3 key moments in the books I am really looking forward to non readers experiencing. They are in no particular order. 
 

Realisation that the world before the breaking was technologically more advanced then our own society, with hover cars and amazing tech. That understanding that the breaking wasn’t just destruction and death, but a complete regression of society back from high tech to the Middle Ages. 
 

The reveal that Rand is Aiel and the understanding of who his parents are. 
 

The reveal of the link between the Tinkers and the Aiel. 
 

The second one, Rands heritage, has been already foreshadowed really well. The casting of Emonds Field and Rand really makes him stand out as looking different. Follow this up with the cut between Matt knelt by the Aiel body and the camera lingering on the hair and face, and then switching to Rands face as he deals with the Dark Friend and you get that bit of foreshadowing of this fact. 
 

I have a feeling that we are going to find out Rand is Aiel far sooner then In the books. Viewers are going to make the connection very soon after the Aiel start appearing in numbers and there is no point “hiding it” for a Long time. I did think they would do a similar thing with the tinkers, making them look appear similar to the aiel. 
 

So what are the moments you are looking forward to being imagined on screen, which big reveals do you hope will land and excite or surprise newcomers to the series? 
 

 

 

 

The part in red above...

 

Did you see in episode 1 (timestamp from 3 minutes 55 seconds) the landscape.  I just noticed the tall vertical 'rocks' look like they are actually tall buildings/skyscrapers.  Definitely look man made.  Is that the remnants of Menetheren?  Very nice touch if so!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

 

 

The part in red above...

 

Did you see in episode 1 (timestamp from 3 minutes 55 seconds) the landscape.  I just noticed the tall vertical 'rocks' look like they are actually tall buildings/skyscrapers.  Definitely look man made.  Is that the remnants of Menetheren?  Very nice touch if so!

 

I need to go back but there was a ruined bridge as well that seemed too well made for the age. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Yes.. These weren't obvious "skyscrapers" to everyone?

There is an issue for me here, Robert Jordan purposely took time before even hinting at that aspect, Rafe decides to start showing it straight away. It takes away from that moment of wow, a friend of mine loves Horizon Zero Dawn and said it reminded him of the game (Earth centuries after a mass extinction event). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Community Administrator
8 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

There is an issue for me here, Robert Jordan purposely took time before even hinting at that aspect, Rafe decides to start showing it straight away. It takes away from that moment of wow, a friend of mine loves Horizon Zero Dawn and said it reminded him of the game (Earth centuries after a mass extinction event). 

There were hints throughout Eye of the World.

 

E.g. Moon Landing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm expecting when Moiraine is in the Hall of the Tower she will appear to be in big trouble and maybe barely escape some horrible punishment and Siuan will seem intimidating and a bit scary.

Then they will meet in private and the audience finds out they are friends (potentially still more than that in the TV show version).

I also have a theory Moiraine will be told she can't leave the WT after all the trouble she caused and Siuan will help her.

Edited by Deadsy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

There is an issue for me here, Robert Jordan purposely took time before even hinting at that aspect, Rafe decides to start showing it straight away. It takes away from that moment of wow, a friend of mine loves Horizon Zero Dawn and said it reminded him of the game (Earth centuries after a mass extinction event). 

 

 

He showed this is our world by chapter 4 by mentioning (with changed names) John Glenn, Sally Ride, Queen Elizabeth II, Moscow, Jack and the Beanstalk, Ann Landers, and Mother Theresa.

The skyscrapers are another fun way of showing it.

Edited by Deadsy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really, really want to see the Verin reveal. One of my favorite sequences in the books.

 

This is less of a book reveal situation but boy am I excited for Loial. They've been playing very coy and I follow the actor on Twitter and you can tell how excited he and the rest of the cast are for him to show up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are not as significant as the Aiel/Rand history (and relatives!), past ages, and Verin (!), but I found them eye-opening nonetheless:

 

-  The significance of the heron blade 

-  The advantages and dangers of tel'aran'rhiod (and its various incarnations)

-  The unexpected emergence of Birgitte

-  The various facades of Lanfear and other Chosen

-  The Black Ajah infusion

-  The glorious power of the Horn of Valere 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

These are not as significant as the Aiel/Rand history (and relatives!), past ages, and Verin (!), but I found them eye-opening nonetheless:

 

-  The significance of the heron blade 

-  The advantages and dangers of tel'aran'rhiod (and its various incarnations)

-  The unexpected emergence of Birgitte

-  The various facades of Lanfear and other Chosen

-  The Black Ajah infusion

-  The glorious power of the Horn of Valere 

 

 

 I think the human evil will surprise the non-readers. I watched a video from someone talking about Moiraine being overpowered and someone commented about there being more powerful channelers. But we haven't begun to see powerful opponents yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2021 at 7:10 AM, Sir_Charrid said:

So attempting to move on from the disappointments of the opening 3 episodes there are 3 key moments in the books I am really looking forward to non readers experiencing. They are in no particular order. 
 

Realisation that the world before the breaking was technologically more advanced then our own society, with hover cars and amazing tech. That understanding that the breaking wasn’t just destruction and death, but a complete regression of society back from high tech to the Middle Ages. 
 

The reveal that Rand is Aiel and the understanding of who his parents are. 
 

The reveal of the link between the Tinkers and the Aiel. 
 

The second one, Rands heritage, has been already foreshadowed really well. The casting of Emonds Field and Rand really makes him stand out as looking different. Follow this up with the cut between Matt knelt by the Aiel body and the camera lingering on the hair and face, and then switching to Rands face as he deals with the Dark Friend and you get that bit of foreshadowing of this fact. 
 

I have a feeling that we are going to find out Rand is Aiel far sooner then In the books. Viewers are going to make the connection very soon after the Aiel start appearing in numbers and there is no point “hiding it” for a Long time. I did think they would do a similar thing with the tinkers, making them look appear similar to the aiel. 
 

So what are the moments you are looking forward to being imagined on screen, which big reveals do you hope will land and excite or surprise newcomers to the series? 
 

 

So… you’re hanging out for the Rhuidean visions? That’s basically where all three of those things are really driven home. 
Before Rhuidean, Rand being an Aiel is kind of an academic “oh that’s interesting” while afterwards it’s a gut-punching “you have a direct line of ancestry all the way back to the Breaking… and here they are in Technicolor”

Its also the first time we really get a glimpse of the Age of Legends and what high-technology meant in this world, and of course it’s where the history of the Aiel and the Tuatha-An is spelled out. 

I’m looking forward to the later books (

post Dumai’s Wells) where Rand starts to really come into his own as the Dragon and we see the One Power really let loose - the thunderstorm against the Seanchen, the Cleansing of the Taint, Balefire… the Damane letting loose, the the Asha’man going full bore.
Unfortunately I’m not convinced Rand’s actor has it in him to really play that slightly crazed arrogance that is the Dragon in full steam. He’s too skinny and bland. Hopefully he can surprise us, if it lasts that long. 
Short-term I am both eager and dreading Loial and the Ogiers. Could be great, could be cringey. 
Maichen Shin and the Ways also intrigue - hopefully they do that better than Mashadar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dumai's Wells has to be one of the ultimate action scenes that I really hope they action it all in one shot like what happened on GoT. 

The Aiel singing.

All 3 times Matt goes into the tower of the Fox people.

Morridin with the Mind Boxes of the other Forsaken.

 

Rand using Balefire to destroy the Castle and showing the escape of one of the Forsaken from that, (although I hope they don't show the escape straight away, more as a flash back so it's a twist for those who haven't read the book) ((Sorry))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2021 at 11:36 PM, Deadsy said:

 

 

He showed this is our world by chapter 4 by mentioning (with changed names) John Glenn, Sally Ride, Queen Elizabeth II, Moscow, Jack and the Beanstalk, Ann Landers, and Mother Theresa.

The skyscrapers are another fun way of showing it.

Reading back though this stuff only really makes sense once you know the big reveal, it is subtle and surprising, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the Padan Fain reveal, which I suspect will come ep 7 or 8. I don't think we'll see him clearly before that, but continue to get subtle hints like the whistling in Shadar Logoth. Then I'm hoping we get a scene with Moiraine questioning him, with flashbacks to what he's been up to, revealing all the hints we did and didn't catch.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not strictly a reveal, but I really hope we get the Rand-Maiden dynamics. I love how some treat him as a little brother, some as a big brother, and a few as a son. I want to see Rand run himself to exhaustion at Cairhien and the maidens get increasingly concerned and have to guide him back to camp with sympathy in their eyes and voices.

Edited by Agitel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...