DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

About Sheriam Sedai

Meradin

I was just re-reading The Dragon Reborn and i noticed a part in the chapter The Gray Man where after Egwene and Nyn find the gray man dead Sheriam shows up all of a sudden - when Nyn asks her about it she gets startled and then uses the excuse that the mistress of novices doesnt need to answer to her. not sure if there is already a thread about this. but is Sheriam Black Ajah?

There are several issues with Sheriam that suggest something going on. That Gray Man, and the Gray Men later found in her bed were just the beginning of it. Since then we have seen her beaten with the one power for not spying on Egwene. Her behaviour in KoD suggests that she is being presure near to breaking point by that person. Also, of the three maids given to egwene, only Chesa escapes being killed by Aran'gar. Chesa was given to Egwene by Sheriam. The other two, surving Romanda and Lelaine respecively, were left in shallow graves.

The fact is, however, that this is all circumstantial... there is no direct evidence... she could simply be being blackmailed, or forced to serve... and even then we dont know for sure that the blackmailer is of the shadow... Sheriam only thinks to herself that she wished she had never spoken to any sitter, and besides, why would the Black Ajah or Aran'gar need to beat Sheriam to get information.

There's also the fact that Egwene keeps gushing to herself about how loyal Chesa is to her, unlike the others who are just there as spies for Romanda and Lelaine. Typical RJ foreshadowing there.

There was also a little thing when Egwene was raised to accepted. What she saw in the second ring was Rand talking about holding off the madness and if he couldn't then he could be turned to the shadow against his will. Egwene asks Sheriam if it's possible. Sheriam sort of flinches and then explains it to her. That struck me on my most recent read through as maybe a hint that Sheriam had been or would be turned. It was after all 13 Black Ajah who originally left the tower.

There's also the fact that Egwene keeps gushing to herself about how loyal Chesa is to her, unlike the others who are just there as spies for Romanda and Lelaine. Typical RJ foreshadowing there.

There was also a little thing when Egwene was raised to accepted. What she saw in the second ring was Rand talking about holding off the madness and if he couldn't then he could be turned to the shadow against his will. Egwene asks Sheriam if it's possible. Sheriam sort of flinches and then explains it to her.

That struck me on my most recent read through as maybe a hint that Sheriam had been or would be turned. It was after all 13 Black Ajah who originally left the tower.

Ehhm no, i think its just a pretty touchy subject with aes sedai...

It could also be Lelaine that's beating Sheriam' date=' I mean Lelaine all but confessed to torturing Feilaine for information. She pressed her very hard, knowing that I don't see leliane having a problem beating a keeper, especially since she wants to be Amyrlin[/quote']

Not only that, but right before Lelaine told Suiane that she had "pressed" Feilaine for information... She stepped into the tent with Suiane and the other Aes Sedai, Sheriam stood up quickly and Suiane mused to herself "That's odd, the Keeper has no reason to stand up for a Sitter entering a room". It immediatley made me think Lelaine was her oppressor.

Not only that, but right before Lelaine told Suiane that she had "pressed" Feilaine for information... She stepped into the tent with Suiane and the other Aes Sedai, Sheriam stood up quickly and Suiane mused to herself "That's odd, the Keeper has no reason to stand up for a Sitter entering a room". It immediatley made me think Lelaine was her oppressor.

I always thought that it was a sitter that had done it but now I can see that Lelaine fits Perfectly. thanks. Why else would a keeper stand up for just a sitter?

Lelaine does fit to my mind as well. Though ive also concidered the possibility of Lelaine being Black. I always felt one of the two power sitters must be, and as of KoD we know Romanda isn't, whilst Lelaine has grown more evil in that book.

Also, on Chesa, it should be noted that she was the one who managed to break Aran'gar's headaches and allow Egwene to dream with her concoction. Seems to me that if she was a darkfriend, she wouldn't have intervened, nor spoken bad of Aran'gar to Egwene, which she does.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to mention that in aCoS she twice tries to get Egwene to ban talk of the black ajah, in both chapter 11 and 12. Considering that if her beef was with people talking about what was supposed to be denied, why would she be asking Egwene for a declaration? This seems suspicious to me.

and remember when romanda proposed that all sisters foreswear that they are not of the black ajah on the other rod?

and lelain said she wouldnt and that is was an insult? romanda says somethign along the lines of "i will be the first lelain, if you are the second"

that set off sirens in my head when i read that

I read a rather strange theory long ago(it was or is well known) that she is a member of an ajah more secret than the black. They called it the purple ajah. An ajah whose mere existence wasn't even rumored to exist - even among the Aes Seadi. It was something like the ajah still holds to methods and customs from the AoL, hence forgotten none or little of it.

This is by no means my opinion, just one I read.

I'm agreeing about the Purple Ajah thingy. That is just total and complete rubish. If it's not even rumored in the books, then how are we readers supposed to guess that she is in said ajah and that's why she is so secretive.

Plus, what AoL stuff would they keep that would be so secretive?

I have to admit I'm only half way through book 3 - so will know far less than you guys at this stage - but seems already that there is definatley something up with Sheriam. I've found alot of her comments and reactions to various events so far quite interesting... I'll be keeping a close eye on her :P

Anyone know any gist about the purple ajah?

If it was Lelaine beating Sheriam, why is Sheriam so afraid to tell someone about it? Id understand if it was Aran'gar/Halima, a woman who wasn't holding saidar holding a shield on her would be v.frightening whereas a woman holding saidar is less so.

Would you rather a black ajah Aes Sedai holding you or a woman who isn't even an Aes Sedai, who can't even channel at all (that you know of).

However I am not saying Lelaine is not Black Ajah, I do actually believe she is (since reading some of the theories - I'd never really thought of any other sitter than Delana being Black), I just don't think shes the Sheriam Basher.

Slightly OT

I've always been in favour Sheriam isn't Black Ajah but being forced into doing their bidding, for example if she was Black Ajah I doubt Halima (or Lelaine if you wish) would ambush Sheriam as she entered, or would rather wait calmly sitting in a regal manner and order her like we have seen Mesaana do with Alviarin? But if she was having to do stuff against her will, she might put up a fight so an ambush would fit in.

If it was Lelaine beating Sheriam, why is Sheriam so afraid to tell someone about it? Id understand if it was Aran'gar/Halima, a woman who wasn't holding saidar holding a shield on her would be v.frightening whereas a woman holding saidar is less so.

Actually i rather imagine that if it were Halima Sheriam would have less to lose by revealing her. The issue is that whoever it is must have leverage over her. Something she apparently revealed to a sitter (she states when she is thinking on how she came to be in this position that she wished she 'had never spoken to a sitter in her life).

If Sheriam isn't black, then no matter what that leverage is, unveiling a hidden Forsaken sweeps it under the rug. In any case its not an issue of the dangerousness of the woman in terms of their power, but in terms of their leverage. In which case it could as easily be Lelaine, Dalima or Aran'gar, depending on circumstance.

Something she apparently revealed to a sitter (she states when she is thinking on how she came to be in this position that she wished she 'had never spoken to a sitter in her life).

That could of been Delana, who then reported to Halima. But remember that the stereotype of Forsaken is quite powerful for normal run of the mill Aes Sedai. If Sheriam was being confronted a forsaken (if she even realises Halima is a forsaken rather than a mystery bitch) she may be amazingly afraid plus the beatings may be unnerving her incredibly.

Though that would be a stretch, I guess I'm just stuck in the Halima set of mind.

At the moment, perhaps... but once outside and away from Aran'gar. She'd be shrieking at the top of her longs for circles to form.

The only way it could be Aran'gar is if Sheriam is black, otherwise Sheriam would have acted--since she is clearly not being compelled. And my issue with that is that she clearly links her beating with speaking to a sitter. THAT conversation is what gave whoever it was leverage to beat her. And the wording makes out that its not even that she is being punished, she is under someones thumb because of something she revealed. The Shadow doesn't need that to control a black sister. And had it been that she was black, far more logical would have been the thought that she wished she had never become black.

Now, it could be Delana. In fact, whilst Lelaine remains my first suggestion especially after the incident with Suine, and what we learn of Faolain, Delana would be the next option.

In any case, if it is Delana then i would say that Sheriam is not black. If it is Lelaine, Sheriam could be black, but only if Lelaine isn't black.

The other option is that it is a representative of one of the Five obstructionist sitters, though none seem to have the will for that.

Yeh, agreed I don't really think any of the 5 sitters are anything akin to Cadsuane, who besides a black sister is the only one I can see spanking a sister for information.

Can't wait till AMoL and we finally get the answers to these questions, damn 2009 is far too far away.

I just had a thought, we know that aes sedai that swear to obey are forced to by the oath against lying. We also have plenty of precident for Aes Sedai swearing an oath to different people. What if Lelaine is black, and Sheriam unwittingly swore an oath to obey before she uncovered that Lelaine was black?

We have a similar occurance between Elaida and Alviarin, Elaida's mantra clearly said that she would obey Alviarin. What if Sheriam came to Lelaine for protection, swore to obey, and then found out she was black? It would certainly account for her odd behavior, as she is dually sworn to obey both Egwene and the shadow. It might also explain her aura from Min's viewing, sheriam might have an oppurtunity to expose some part of the black ajah.

It makes me wonder one other thing as well. We know that only 3 people knew Alviarin's identity as black ajah head, Galina was one, who are the others? Maybe a discussion for another thread.

Clog lord said :

It makes me wonder one other thing as well. We know that only 3 people knew Alviarin's identity as black ajah head, Galina was one, who are the others? Maybe a discussion for another thread.

Now that is a good idea for a topic.

This thread has amazed me, I hadn't even thought of Lelaine being black Ajah. I thought she was a scheming old bag, but not black ajah. Looking back on it, infighting with the Salidar Aes Sedai, seems to be a black Ajah objective. Arangar even mentioned it as one of his obvectives in KOD during the forsaken get together.

I like that idea about Sheriam. The way she is constantly around, almost as if she wants people to ask her questions, or become suspicious. And prior to that it was almost as if she was driving Egwene remove her as Keeper.

Another hint that points to Lelaine being black is the fact that she tries to call Niaso off the hunt for Anaiya and Karen's killer.

One other interesting tidbit to add, Chapter 6 in NS tells us that apparently Sheriam sleeps like the dead. Given the BA's prediliction to abducting people in their sleep, could this mean something?

Further, chapter 14 tells us that Sheriam was the biggest gossip in the accepted quarters. Could it be that Sheriam let the ferrets out of the bag to Lelaine as a sitter of her own ajah? Could Lelaine be using this information to extort loyalty like Egwene did?

Yes she did try to stop Nisao investigating the murders of Kairen and the other Aes Sedai, that was very suspicious to me. In combination with (lelaine's) attempts to get the hall to deny the existence of the black Ajah, it paints a very suspicious picture of her.

In her defence though, the denial of Aes Sedai of the existence of the lack ajah is probably a defence mechanism. What we have to remember is the Aes Sedai owe their political power to their power over others with the one power, AND THE FACT THEY TAKE THE THREE OATHS. They swear not to lie, and to not use the one power as a weapon unless against shadowspawn. If the black Ajah can be seen to exist by the general population, Aes Sedai honesty in general comes into severe question, and therefore their political power. Of course this goes without saying. But in my opionion Lelaine's actions are like those of a holocaust denier and should be looked at with at least disdain.

Archived