DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Plan on Just Enjoying the Show as It Is

Cre8engr

As someone who was reading TEOTW since it first came out on paperback, I'm planning on enjoying the show regardless of the differences from the books.  The magic about the world of The Wheel of Time is that time is cyclical.  According to any Aes Sedai, "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend.  Legend fades to myth, and myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."  The TV show is just another turning of the Wheel as it comes around to the Third Age, again.  In an earlier turn of the Third Age, Thom Merrilin played the flute and the harp.  In this turn of the Third Age, Thom plays a guitar, and maybe he plays the mandolin in the next turn and the oboe in the turn after that.  Maybe the show runners combine two characters from the book into one or, heaven forbid, drop one my favorite secondary characters.  Who cares?  This is an opportunity for new fans to discover the magic of the world that Robert Jordan created.  This is another turning of the Wheel, and the important characters are reborn as the Wheel wills.

13 hours ago, Cre8engr said:

As someone who was reading TEOTW since it first came out on paperback, I'm planning on enjoying the show regardless of the differences from the books.  The magic about the world of The Wheel of Time is that time is cyclical.  According to any Aes Sedai, "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend.  Legend fades to myth, and myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."  The TV show is just another turning of the Wheel as it comes around to the Third Age, again.  In an earlier turn of the Third Age, Thom Merrilin played the flute and the harp.  In this turn of the Third Age, Thom plays a guitar, and maybe he plays the mandolin in the next turn and the oboe in the turn after that.  Maybe the show runners combine two characters from the book into one or, heaven forbid, drop one my favorite secondary characters.  Who cares?  This is an opportunity for new fans to discover the magic of the world that Robert Jordan created.  This is another turning of the Wheel, and the important characters are reborn as the Wheel wills.

This is not another turning of the wheel.  At least I cannot bring myself to think of it as such.  It is an adaptation from book to TV.  I realize there will be changes, some I'll like and others I won't.  But I will try to enjoy it for what it is - a show about my favorite books!

5 hours ago, DojoToad said:

This is not another turning of the wheel.  At least I cannot bring myself to think of it as such.  It is an adaptation from book to TV.  I realize there will be changes, some I'll like and others I won't.  But I will try to enjoy it for what it is - a show about my favorite books!

Yeah, I've always intensely disliked the "another turning of the wheel" line of reasoning, because there are a lot of things that would NOT change from turning to turning. I'm much happier viewing this as what it really is: an adaptation, that hopefully doesn't stray too far.

4 hours ago, TheMountain said:

Yeah, I've always intensely disliked the "another turning of the wheel" line of reasoning, because there are a lot of things that would NOT change from turning to turning. I'm much happier viewing this as what it really is: an adaptation, that hopefully doesn't stray too far.

Another turning also would be different names etc. Its always been established that the faces and names change but the souls and roles remain. 

If one MUST view it as something then a portal stone world would be most canon. In PS worlds the turning is the same. the names are the same. But events and outcomes may change slightly or dramatically. 

Or in tv and film terms… multiverse or as you say.. an adaptation. 

3 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Another turning also would be different names etc. Its always been established that the faces and names change but the souls and roles remain. 

If one MUST view it as something then a portal stone world would be most canon. In PS worlds the turning is the same. the names are the same. But events and outcomes may change slightly or dramatically. 

Or in tv and film terms… multiverse or as you say.. an adaptation. 

I suggested this on Reddit a while back and I got roasted and downvoted to hell ? The "another turning of the wheel" logic is very popular there lol. I mean, I get it, it's a great shorthand. I just think it falls apart on closer inspection.

That's just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

I enjoyed the first season of Shannara, but the first season stayed somewhat close to The Elfstones of Shannara. The second season,  however, I couldn't stand it. Ended up moving on to other things, like learning to paint. As for The Seeker...I was through after after the second episode.

Those of you that want to think of the tv series as another adaption of a great series of books, don't let me stop you.  There are some great shows adapted from books. ?

37 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

I suggested this on Reddit a while back and I got roasted and downvoted to hell ? The "another turning of the wheel" logic is very popular there lol. I mean, I get it, it's a great shorthand. I just think it falls apart on closer inspection.

Another Turning of the Wheel is longer than Portal Stone World. So Shorthand it is not hehe.

And the initials are easier Wheel of Time ATotW versus Wheel of Time PSW lol

*is deliberately being a dork lol*

I guess this show might be a very interesting experience for someone like me who has read only The Eye of The World and about the first two chapters of The Great Hunt. I will really care primarily about good writing, production values and obviously, the escapism. Who knows, it might be the thing that would eventually make me an actual WOT fan! 

Edited by Samwell Tarly

11 hours ago, Samwell Tarly said:

I guess this show might be a very interesting experience for someone like me who has read only The Eye of The World and about the first two chapters of The Great Hunt. I will really care primarily about good writing, production values and obviously, the escapism. Who knows, it might be the thing that would eventually make me an actual WOT fan! 

Imposter!! Samwell Tarly would NEVER stop at the second book!

Perhaps the Others and White Walkers have you already.

Edited by TheMountain

On 11/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, CaddySedai said:

Another Turning of the Wheel is longer than Portal Stone World. So Shorthand it is not hehe.

I can live with a multiverse or the portal stones.  I spent a good part of 2020 watching science episodes about quantum physics.  That stuff is really freaky, and it's reality.

On 11/17/2021 at 3:47 PM, Borderlander said:

I will be making a concerted effort to enjoy it even if it sucks! Cuz it's all we got.

Getting old sucks, too, but I'm trying to enjoy that... ?

Trying to make the effort to enjoy the show myself - just not making myself believe it yet...

Old age - enjoying different things than when I was young.  Can't translate that acceptance to the show, but I have not given up.