DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Weird thought on Aiel Veils

Guire

12 minutes ago, Rose said:

This whole discussion is so weird to me. It's a visual medium. Of course they're going to show her face. That's how TV works. The detail of lore about why Aiel veil their faces will likely never make it into the show anyway, so audiences will be none the wiser. If you're so worked up about a minor change made to better adapt the story to a visual medium, you will hate the show, because there are way bigger changes coming.

I have hopes that Aiel will use black veils, but her face was shown because of plot reasons. It wouldn't ruin the show if the veils are gone completely.

11 hours ago, Guire said:

It dawned on me that maybe veils other than shoufa being tucked under face may just disappear because of Covid and masking.  Showrunners may have decided that seeing actors faces is better but also they don't want to have to deal with any weird blowback from having face coverings associated with death in current world climate.

Covid is endemic among the aiel population, and cause of great concern. Aiel life expectancy is very low, with most of the population dead before age 40. A significantly high portion of those premature deaths are linked to lung damage, the mechanism with which covid kills; further reinforcing that the virus is responsible. medical analysis on those victims shows the lung damage is almost always compatible with sharp metallic objects going through the ribs, which is an unknown avenue of action for covid; we suspect a new mutation is at work there, but our doctors have yet to analyze it because in this age we don't have dna sequencing, we don't even have a flippin idea what dna is.

as an adaptation to the covid threat, aiel developed social distancing since ancient times - not just among strangers, but even husband and wife will stay aparte and barely touch each other in public.

to reduce covid spread, it is important to wear masks, especially amid large crowds. For example, a battle is a moment with thousands of warriors packed shoulder to shoulder, without any concern for social distancing. It's hardly a coincidence that most deaths happen during or shortly after those meetings. Furthermore, the dying are often spraying around blood droplets from their wounds, increasing risk.

it is recommended that aiel population be ever vigilant against covid and that they are careful to wear their mask in any battle gathering, and whenever killing - and the spraying of infected blood droplets - may be likely. we further recommend that aiel wash their hands very well before and after killing, and that they disinfect their spears.

Edited by king of nowhere

12 hours ago, AusLeviathan said:

It's an American made movie though so that means they went with a comical reveal as he stops mid battle to pose like he's in Power Rangers as his dead eyed face is superimposed onto the open helmet. In a visually stunning movie it really stood out as one of those "we've paid for an actor so we're going to show their face no matter what" moments.

I totally agree with you. I’m not saying they should have done it the way they did, I’m just saying historically there are plenty of examples from other movies to draw from to suggest they might want to highlight the face of the actor in some way here too. Whether it’s a plot device for a single character or the entire group of the Aiel people, I haven’t the foggiest. (I would have zoomed in on Paul’s ring personally). 

As for The Wheel of Time, I lean toward the side where they are making more and more changes that will invariably alter things in pretty large ways. In an interview with Rafe, he claimed almost every change made was very intentional. I’m not sure that makes me feel better or worse, all things considered. 

I disagree with those saying, “it’s gonna be so bad I hope it fails,” as this is a bit histrionic in my eyes, but I also disagree with the dogmatic position of “it’s a new turning of the wheel” as a blanket defense for every change, when some of those changes shouldn’t have occurred. Like most things I think there is a balance to be struck and we are all going to have wait and see for a legitimate and fair judgment. 

Edited by JaimAybara

9 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

In an interview with Rafe, he claimed almost every change made was very intentional. I’m not sure that makes me feel better or worse, all things considered. 

I hope that means they think about every little detail that those changes will affect and therefore make them work as well as possible.

2 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

I hope that means they think about every little detail that those changes will affect and therefore make them work as well as possible.

I hope so too. I’m gonna give them the benefit of the doubt until it airs. I think everyone is just super excited and anxious, with this being a 31 year culmination for many readers. 

Thoughts on this according to what Amys tells Rand of this mother; 

"An Aes Sedai called Gitara Moroso, who had the Foretelling, had told her that disaster would befall her land and her people, perhaps the world, unless she went to dwell among the Maidens of the Spear, telling no one of her going. She must become a Maiden, and she could not return to her own land until the Maidens had gone to Tar Valon."

It is very possible that Tigraine thought her time with the Aiel was over.  We will never know if Tigraine would have stayed with the Aiel had she not died on the slopes of Dragonmount.  While she loved Janduin, she also loved Galad.  heh Maybe she would have stole Galad away and taken both him and Rand to live with the Aiel.

• 1 month later...

Did Tigraine seek to become an Aiel?

She sought to become a Maiden of the Spear. I am sure she adopted Aiel culture like Elayne adopts every culture. I am not claiming Tigraine thought lightly of Ji e toh. But at the end of the day, some things may have been less important to her.
That said, she removed the veil when she exited the battle and had no intention of killing anyone, pregnant people can get forgetful (maybe that is why they don’t let pregnant maidens fight, because they knew they always for get to put their veil back in place, especially during the last trimester ?) she was also in labor. 
Tigraine didn’t need to become fully Aiel, a maiden could get pregnant from Janduin? and then if she fought, accidentally end up giving birth on Dragonmount.

Gitara didn’t tell Tigraine you have to get preggers with Janduin and then go have the baby on the Dragonmount. 

8 minutes ago, Jsbrads2 said:

Did Tigraine seek to become an Aiel?

She sought to become a Maiden of the Spear. I am sure she adopted Aiel culture like Elayne adopts every culture. I am not claiming Tigraine thought lightly of Ji e toh. But at the end of the day, some things may have been less important to her.
That said, she removed the veil when she exited the battle and had no intention of killing anyone, pregnant people can get forgetful (maybe that is why they don’t let pregnant maidens fight, because they knew they always for get to put their veil back in place, especially during the last trimester ?) she was also in labor. 
Tigraine didn’t need to become fully Aiel, a maiden could get pregnant from Janduin? and then if she fought, accidentally end up giving birth on Dragonmount.

Gitara didn’t tell Tigraine you have to get preggers with Janduin and then go have the baby on the Dragonmount. 

Another thought, did Tigraine mean to stay with the Aiel had she not died.  She had been told she couldn't return to the "wetlands" until the Aiel came.  Once that prophecy had been fulfilled what was her plan?  I mean she didn't love her previous husband but she did love Galad.

I think Tigraine loved her current husband, she must have known Galad would be well cared for. Her first husband took and interest in raising Galad to be good and skilled. Galad would get the best care.

Tigraine also loved Andor so much, she couldn’t tear apart her country for her own want to be reunited with Galad. And she knew when she left, there would be no going back without destroying Andor and a new queen was chosen.