DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will we see in season 1? Our predictions and analyses

Rose

We've had a deluge of promotional materials these past few weeks, so much that most of us can barely keep up. With less than two weeks until the show airs, what are your predictions about what we'll see in season 1? How do you think some of the changes we've seen hinted at will play out in practice? What obscure detail of the videos or images do you have wild theories about?

For this thread, I'd like to ask that we keep value judgements and our own feelings about whether changes are good or not out of the discussion. This isn't about debating whether something is okay or acceptable. It's about speculating about what we think will happen, trying to understand what the showrunners are thinking, and what's in store for us.

I'll start:

I'm really curious to know what we'll see in Tear. I'm pretty convinced we'll see *something* in Tear because it's on the map in the Explore section of the Prime Video page for the show. They wouldn't put Tear on the map if something in the season didn't take place there.

Initially I thought it might just be because of the prophecies. In the books, Logain is captured while marching his army on Tear. But he never gets there. Would they put it on the map (a map that has very few cities highlighted), if we never even reached it? I'm starting to doubt that.

So what's happening in Tear? I saw a theory that we might get a Siuan flashback there, and there was a leaked image of Moiraine and Siuan together in a room that could be some sort of fisherman's house. But I can't figure out why they'd be in Tear together. Does anyone have thoughts?

Or other theories you'd like to discuss?

Edited by Rose

I think we will either get Logain marching on Tear just before he is taken or we will get flashbacks of a young Suian before she left for the tower.

In all of the promo stuff we have seen we have yet to see Perrin with his axe(aside from a quick clip on winternight).  What do we think the writers are going to do with this?  Have Perrin leave without the axe, possibly because of guilt over what potentially happens with his wife?  Maybe he picks it up in Fal'dara before they head into the blight?  Would they dare leave it until he returns to the Two Rivers?

6 hours ago, Rose said:

I'm really curious to know what we'll see in Tear. I'm pretty convinced we'll see *something* in Tear because it's on the map in the Explore section of the Prime Video page for the show. They wouldn't put Tear on the map if something in the season didn't take place there.

Initially I thought it might just be because of the prophecies. In the books, Logain is captured while marching his army on Tear. But he never gets there. Would they put it on the map (a map that has very few cities highlighted), if we never even reached it? I'm starting to doubt that.

So what's happening in Tear? I saw a theory that we might get a Siuan flashback there, and there was a leaked image of Moiraine and Siuan together in a room that could be some sort of fisherman's house. But I can't figure out why they'd be in Tear together. Does anyone have thoughts?

I am guessing in the TV show they're going to say Moiraine and Siuan traveled to Tear at one point after being raised Aes Sedai. Even though Siuan traveling to Kandar wasn't a normal occurrence. But seeing as Tear is her homeland, it wouldn't be too surprising for her to have done that before becoming Amyrlin. I'm guessing for 20 years they rarely saw each other at all, but with Tear Siuan could pretend she was just going to visit her home country without telling anyone it had anything to do with Moiraine.

I don't think we'll get any scenes in the city.

Edited by Deadsy

4 hours ago, Deadsy said:

I am guessing in the TV show they're going to say Moiraine and Siuan traveled to Tear at one point after being raised Aes Sedai. Even though Siuan traveling to Kandar wasn't a normal occurrence. But seeing as Tear is her homeland, it wouldn't be too surprising for her to have done that before becoming Amyrlin. I'm guessing for 20 years they rarely saw each other at all, but with Tear Siuan could pretend she was just going to visit her home country without telling anyone it had anything to do with Moiraine.

I don't think we'll get any scenes in the city.

That's a good guess! So basically swap their meetup in New Spring with this. There's no reason it had to be in the Borderlands (except because that's where Lan was, but I doubt they'd giving us that in detail, so it wouldn't matter). It makes sense.

8 hours ago, Skipp said:

In all of the promo stuff we have seen we have yet to see Perrin with his axe(aside from a quick clip on winternight).  What do we think the writers are going to do with this?  Have Perrin leave without the axe, possibly because of guilt over what potentially happens with his wife?  Maybe he picks it up in Fal'dara before they head into the blight?  Would they dare leave it until he returns to the Two Rivers?

I've seen speculation that he picks up his axe from Steppin after Kerene dies and Steppin becomes a wolfbrother. Which always seemed a little convoluted to me, but maybe. 

They're definitely changing the order and pacing of Perrin's arc from the books so who knows. I have a hard time figuring out what they're going for with that.

In a different thread, @NinjaPowers975 speculated that Mat will get lost in the Ways and won't be in the final two episodes. This is wild to me, mostly because I never would have thought of it. I'm curious to know what made you think that besides Barney not being in the shots we've seen of the final two episodes, and how you think they'll handle it? It seems like a pretty extreme change to me mostly because there's no precedent for it in the books.

Mat’s dagger is what draws the forsaken to they eye I believe. Although that’s hardly insurmountable.

On the other hand again stealing the dagger from Mat and Mat slowly dying because of it is one of the reasons for the chase in book 2. That can still happen of course but Fain is basically constantly chasing after Rand until he breaks from the Dark one’s influence.

15 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

Beats me but I’m pretty sure that’s what Aginor said.

EOTW ch 50

“Who are you?” Lan’s stance was cautious, his hand on his sword hilt. “How did you come here? If you are seeking the Green Man—”

“He guided us.” The hand that pointed to Mat was old and shriveled to scarcely human, lacking a fingernail and with knuckles gnarled like knots in a piece of rope. Mat took a step back, eyes widening. “An old thing, an old friend, an old enemy. But he is not the one we seek,” the green-cloaked man finished. The other man stood as if he would never speak.

3 minutes ago, Ralph said:

EOTW ch 50

“Who are you?” Lan’s stance was cautious, his hand on his sword hilt. “How did you come here? If you are seeking the Green Man—”

“He guided us.” The hand that pointed to Mat was old and shriveled to scarcely human, lacking a fingernail and with knuckles gnarled like knots in a piece of rope. Mat took a step back, eyes widening. “An old thing, an old friend, an old enemy. But he is not the one we seek,” the green-cloaked man finished. The other man stood as if he would never speak.

Sounds pretty definitive to me

23 minutes ago, Ralph said:

EOTW ch 50

Thanks, I didn't remember that

5 hours ago, Rose said:

In a different thread, @NinjaPowers975 speculated that Mat will get lost in the Ways and won't be in the final two episodes. This is wild to me, mostly because I never would have thought of it. I'm curious to know what made you think that besides Barney not being in the shots we've seen of the final two episodes, and how you think they'll handle it? It seems like a pretty extreme change to me mostly because there's no precedent for it in the books.

It's pure speculation but there are a few things that made me think it.

Since Mat was recast there's been a lot of talk in the fandom about how Barney kind of went dark on social media during the late part of the season, and there are apparently no behind the scene shots of him with the rest of the cast during the filming of those episodes. Also, since the main trailer released, we've seen plenty of footage of Rand, Perrin, and Egwene in what appears to be Fal Dara, but no Mat.

However, we do have footage of Mat just outside the Waygate.

In some of the Fal Dara footage, Rand seems really emotional, talking about how he's lost too many people, crying during target practice with his bow... The emotion seems really raw, like something terrible just happened, and he's all torn up about it. Losing Mat in The Ways would fit the bill. 

I've been thinking for a while that the Waygates have been combined with Portal Stones, just because of the way they look, and because it will be less confusing for the audience in season two if there's already an all-purpose established form of portal travel. If so, then maybe you could go to other realities with a Waygate.  

So maybe Mat, sick from the Dagger, gets separated from everybody inside the Ways, chased by Machin Shin. Maybe he ends up in the World of the Aelfin somehow, dying from the Dagger sickness, gets a new body by making a deal... Something like that. 

I don't know. Just seems like if you want/need to write an actor out of a story for some reason (and I'm not even gonna speculate on what caused Barney to leave, could be a perfectly valid reason) The Ways would be a pretty good place to lose somebody, and leave everyone with a cliffhanger about what happened.

Probably in the next day or two we'll get footage of Mat in Fal Dara, and I'll be proven totally wrong lol.

Edited by NinjaPowers975

1 minute ago, Rose said:

That's really interesting, thanks for explaining! In the books Fain follows them in the Ways and gets caught by Machin Shin, but Machin Shin is scared of him and runs off. Maybe they could use that to explain how Mat survives the Ways. Still seems far-fetched but who knows haha

Good point! I totally forgot about Fain. Maybe Mat runs into Fain in the ways after some encounter with Machin Shin, and that's how Fain ends up with the dagger. 

5 hours ago, Rose said:

I wouldn't mind that change too much.  I've heard other people speculate that Mat becomes too sick to continue past Fal Dara or participate in anything that happens there. 

• Community Administrator
17 minutes ago, Ralph said:

I found this
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10181743/Rosamund-Pike-reveals-naked-men-women-Wheel-Time.html

Rosamund explained: 'I took them on what I have heard is a very wholesome and traditional Czech activity to do with kids, which is to go river rafting. 

'There's a lovely town called Cesky Krumlov quite near Prague... it's this beautiful stretch of river and there are rapids and weirs.

'I took my two boys out on this inflatable raft and it was idyllic... I thought it would be water rats and king fishers and snakes.

'But what I underestimated was the fact that it's also a very popular Czech pastime for stag dos and hen nights... bachelorette, bachelor party, booze cruise, whatever label you want put on it.'  

LOL

"River Tubing" isn't just a Czech activity, and is 100% a booze fest, lmao.

I don’t really care. Not really watching to see naked people.

Not entirely sure in what context the men are really getting naked much in the books so I guess they add it in. 

Also her like about men abusing the power and breaking the world is a bit strange since that’s hardly what happened in the breaking. That said it’s just an interview, not like she’s gonna get into the nitty gritty of the events of the book.

6 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

I don’t really care. Not really watching to see naked people.

Not entirely sure in what context the men are really getting naked much in the books so I guess they add it in. 

I want some of the non-sexual, casual nudity that for example the Aiel practice. I don't want "explicit" dry-humping scenes.

Shienaran bath tubs are probably in season 1 ?

Edited by DaddyFinn

5 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

I want some of the non-sexual, casual nudity that for example the Aiel practice. I don't want "explicit" dry-humping scenes.

Shienaran bath tubs are probably in season 1 ?

The shienaran baths are mainly notable for the fact that both men and women bathe together though. That’s the humorous part. You gonna show them, it seems a waste to do away with that. Same with the Aiel tents.

3 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

The shienaran baths are mainly notable for the fact that both men and women bathe together though. That’s the humorous part. You gonna show them, it seems a waste to do away with that. Same with the Aiel tents.

I misremembered. The guys bathed in Baerlon right? Maybe that's moved elsewhere.