DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New audio book

lordChaos

2 hours ago, lordChaos said:

I don’t know if anyone on here has herd any of the old audiobooks for this but at least in my opinion they are really bad . 

I think you'll find yourself in the minority there. I quite liked the old audio books as do many others who are active here. I am looking forward to hearing Rosamund's version though!

• Community Administrator
4 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I think you'll find yourself in the minority there. I quite liked the old audio books as do many others who are active here. I am looking forward to hearing Rosamund's version though!

Probably doesn't help that there's already what, 2 different sets of readers for the audiobooks? And several different versions of those (abridged/unabridged) 

I personally can't listen to them, because I fall asleep within 5 minutes of starting them...

1 minute ago, SinisterDeath said:

Probably doesn't help that there's already what, 2 different sets of readers for the audiobooks? And several different versions of those (abridged/unabridged) 

I personally can't listen to them, because I fall asleep within 5 minutes of starting them...

I have a long commute. Audio books sustain me.

I too enjoy audiobooks for those long drives . They are also nice when your with someone and want to both follow along at the same time. There are apparently more versions of the audiobooks already then I was aware of. The one I remember sounded like a really old lady. It just took all the energy out of the reading. I just played another one that I have never herd before that sounded pretty good. I’m still just excited at all the new wot content being made tho regardless : ) 

3 minutes ago, lordChaos said:

I too enjoy audiobooks for those long drives . They are also nice when your with someone and want to both follow along at the same time. There are apparently more versions of the audiobooks already then I was aware of. The one I remember sounded like a really old lady. It just took all the energy out of the reading. I just played another one that I have never herd before that sounded pretty good. I’m still just excited at all the new wot content being made tho regardless : ) 

Oh, I'm referring to the Michael Kramer / Kate Reading versions. They're excellent.

28 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I have a long commute. Audio books sustain me.

Thank goodness I can work from home these days...
I'd probably do audiobooks when I drive, but I really need to get a new car radio with bluetooth...

On 10/22/2021 at 5:31 PM, Elder_Haman said:

Personally speaking I could never get into the audiobook versions of WoT I think it was because the voices given to the characters in the audio version sounded so different to the voices I imagined them having when I read the books that I could never get immersed in the same way as with the books. Not trying to criticise people who do like them or the performances I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I think it's good they are offering a new version though. It would be good if they could do that with more audiobooks where you could pick your preferred voice or maybe see how different readers approach the material.

Here to share another one of my fun "it's all about the money" gripes. 

Why Rosamund Pike? When I think of good voice for narrating a fantasy series I think of some old distinguished man with a little bit of a raspy voice who can do proper voices and really demonstrate the emotion that a character is feeling in that moment. She's just the most commercially convenient option. She said yes to the role of Moiraine and she is a big name that is easily recognizable. With all the effort they've put into hype up the TV series they want to overlap their efforts into other products. These people do not really care about the story and providing a quality experience. They only care about profits and as a true fan base we should exercise some restraint in how we allow our enthusiasms to be used to promote these products. We deserve a good adaption of the stories we fell in love with and not help advertise a cheap product.

Also I've never been able to enjoy audio books. I got a few freebies with audible for A Song of Ice and Fire and I missed SO MANY DETAILS. It's way too easy for me to zone out and not pay attention. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was brought back to Dragonmount by the TV-series. I was lurking here a lot during the early 2000's. I've not been a poster but I read the Robert Jordan books probably 15 times.

While I so far didn't like the series I ended up downloading the audiobook and I must say it's amazing. RP is doing a fantastic job. I got drawn right back in right from the prologue and got goosebumps from her reading of the Kareathon cycle.

I really love the start of the eye of the world. So much foreshadowing and building a foundation of the wot universe. Robert Jordan really was a master. My only complaint is that I don't really have time to listen to the audiobook now haha

4 hours ago, NightWolf said:

I petitioned Gilbert Gottfried's manager in having Gilbert record New Spring into an audiobook. Still haven't heard anything back.

Well, I can't help you with that but here's Gilbert reading 50 shades.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:25 AM, lordChaos said:

I am sooooo excited that they are making a new audiobook for this series. Even more so that Rosamund Pike will be doing the voice. I don’t know if anyone on here has herd any of the old audiobooks for this but at least in my opinion they are really bad . 

I love the audiobooks. The work of Kate Reading and Michael Kramer is superb. I bought each and every one of them for the Wheel of Time and have listened to them a number of times. I am still an active member of audiobooks and I have previewed the first book as read by Rosamund Pike.  I'll likely buy it just because but my first impressions on the audio sample don't enthuse me. Kind of a droning voice at least in the sample. I even went to other audiobooks she has done and I'm not thrilled by what I heard although I do like a good deal. It could be a matter of getting used to her style and again I will likely use a credit for it. I don't particularly enjoy hearing someone bad mouth the complete set of audiobooks and I in my opinion they that Kate and Michael are some of the best audiobook readers I've heard and I've heard a lot. 

I have always been a big fan of actually reading rather than audio books but last couple of years I’ve gotten into audio books massively, I own copies of the whole series but I find I have a lot more time to listen than read these days and desperately wanted to listen to the whole series. RP does an amazing job, my concern is that it’s just a publicity stunt and she isn’t doing the others too, I would love to see some actual reassurance that she is also doing the others.

I just can’t stand the terrible quality or the voice of the current audio books (Kramer etc) I’m sorry to the fans of their work but after listening to Steven Pacey narrate for Joe Abercrombie’s work, or Michael Page do the Malazan Book of the fallen you just can’t compare, listening to those guys have spoilt me for other audiobooks because they do it so well, and to me, RP brings a similar level of skill and makes the books a joy to listen too. (Def agree with the hypnotic comment- don’t listen at night or you will nod off and that’s not a criticism it’s that her voice is so lovely!)

Really just want that confirmation that she’s doing the other books too

On 10/22/2021 at 9:31 AM, Elder_Haman said:

I listened to the sample over at Audible... this thing is horrible!!! She reads so slowly and in a monotone way.... it's perfect for making one fall asleep.  I have no clue why they would ever try to replace what they have. This new recording is just a money grab.