DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 1 Discussion (Full Book Spoilers)

SinisterDeath

2 hours ago, Arthellion said:

This is really interesting to me. Because both I (book fan) and wife (never touched the books) were absolutely wowed by the one power scene. Felt like it was the best rendition of magic we've seen on television or film. (Maybe Doctor Strange beats it out, but aside from that...)

Haha it seems like half of everyone loved the way Channeling was portrayed and the other half hated it. Well I fell in the middle. Didn't amaze me, but I didn't think it looked bad either.

Same type of convo going on about the Trollocs. But here I definitely skewed more negative. The back and forth between actors in costume and CGI felt super obvious to me and gave them a slightly goofy feel IMO. 

I watched all 3 episodes last night. 

Perrin married? Ok, little weird, but i can see it for development and character reasons that are easier to explain 

Two Rivers; kinda bothered me that they knew Aes Sedai on site., suppose to be more backwater

Did like the casting choices, and how the characters acted, Mat being the exception. Not fond of the tragic backstory they are giving him. He's more of a troublemaker, not a delinquent with bad parents.

Over all I really did like it, and I'm excited to see what they do with it. Kinda knew they couldn't hit every story part, but I'm glad with how they are handling the overall story so far 

12 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

Rotton Tomato ratings are 65% from critics (53% from top critics)

Audience rating is 82%

Not great scores.

Will be fascinating to see how many viewers tune in again next week.   

A lot of the critic scores that are negative skew towards the "it's LOTR!" "IT's NOT GOT". A lot of  the Audience scores that are negative are "IT"S NOT THE BOOK!" 

So we shall see. I do think the criticism on pacing will be a concern and it's somethign that they have to fixe in season 2/3. 

That said, all Season 1 has to do is stay watchable in the 80 percent range to guarantee a season 3. A lot of shows have rocky Season 1s. Season 2 will determine the future of the series. 

Edited by Arthellion

We never see Lan and Moiraine interact with each other in private in the books, aside from 1 scene after Shadar Logoth. 

If Lan were to drop his outward composure anywhere it would be in private with Moiraine.  I personally thought the scene was a perfect example of showing this intimate but non romantic dynamic that they have.

9 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

Lol let that rage out buddy. 

Clearly these aren't books. Clearly Lan would know if Moraine was cold and voce versa. 

Clearly you don't understand that you're watching a show, not reading a book, and Lan in the book would translate terribly to screen.

Its not that I have a problem with reading comprehension, its that im not a child, and tiny meaningless changes don't cause me to rage on the internet. 

You don't understand the difference in mediums, thats ok. Enjoy your day. Read the books, or watch something else. But stop acting like tiny things are destroying the show.

Dude - they have butchered Lan's character.

There is no getting away from it.  He got snuck up on by Nynaeve whilst he was distracted - give me a break.  That's the antithesis of what Lan is (at least at this stage of the story).

He's more like an Aes Sedai lackey - and not a very smart one - than a Warder in this new turning of the wheel.

Edited by Maximillion

1 minute ago, Maximillion said:

There is no getting away form it.  He got snuck up on by Nynaeve whilst he was distracted - give me a break.  That's the antithesis of what Lan is (at least at this stage of the story).

He's more like an Aes Sedai lackey - and not a very smart one - than a Warder in this new turning of the wheel.

Geee, Lan was snuck up on in a moment of distraction as his Aes Sedai lies near death.  Snuck up on by a, by book canon, skilled tracker and woodsman(woman).  And then moments later completely disarms her like the badass that he is.

4 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

There is no getting away from it.  He got snuck up on by Nynaeve whilst he was distracted - give me a break.  That's the antithesis of what Lan is (at least at this stage of the story).

I mean, if thats what Lans character is to you, then you clearly only read the books in the most surface of ways. Lans stoicism and martial skill are secondary to who he really is.

Edited by Apoc81

13 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

I mean, if thats what Lans character is to you, then you clearly only read the books in the most surface of ways. Lans stoicism and martial skill are secondary to who he really is.

Secondary or not - they do not disappear because of his other traits.

He got snuck up on for goodness sake.

Only thing that really bothered me about Lan is that he didn't keep Rand in line more when he was getting mouthy with Moiraine. Feel like Lan wouldn't put up with that. Nyneave sneaking up close enough to put a knife to his throat is admitidly rather weird to me, but not the end of the world. Couldn't care less about the bath, like seriously dude's not a masochist. I think a little more emphasis should have been put on the fact that he was the one leading the party on the flight from the Two Rivers, and I wish there time spent on his growing mentorship of the two river boys and Rand in particular but time constraints are what they are.

All in all not perfect but fairly good and growing on me.

16 minutes ago, Skipp said:

Geee, Lan was snuck up on in a moment of distraction as his Aes Sedai lies near death.  Snuck up on by a, by book canon, skilled tracker and woodsman(woman).  And then moments later completely disarms her like the badass that he is.

Yes, indeed he did.

I think they did a pretty good job, though a few things I didn't like

- I don't like what they did to Mats family. I understand someone's comment about making it not seem like all of two rivers only has great people, but I like that about the books. That is a different world and the Two Rivers is so out of touch and just live thier peaceful little lives. If they wanted to show the town asshole, they could have shown Cenn Buie. 

- Nyneave didn't tug on her braid even once!!! Sad one of her characters main traits didn't make it in. Would've been very simple to add. 

- Thom seems very wrong to me already. He's very aggressive and mean to them in the show. 

- Perrin being married? No thanks, don't think he needed that 

- Lan, didn't utter the word "Sheephearder" even once.  This was another (for me) very important term to use for rand, as they continue it all through out the books and it shows just another personality trait of Lan and then the tie between Rand and Lan. It's Lan's nickname basically for Rand. 

- Overall I think it went a little fast for me. Already knowing the characters I'm ok watching it, but for someone who hasn't it would have been nice for them to spend the first episode letting us get to know and actually care/ like some of the characters before sending the trollics in. If I was watching this with out have read the books, I don't think I would really care about any of them at this point. 

And there is more gore then I need though I understand a lot of people like it in shows, but I can live without. 

Also, I know this is really shallow, but the mole on Egwene's nose is extremely distracting on screen. I totally get it's not the actresses fault, and I actually think she's an excellent actress, but it just immediately draws my attention, every scene she's in.

6 minutes ago, SashaTarasa said:

- Nyneave didn't tug on her braid even once!!! Sad one of her characters main traits didn't make it in. Would've been very simple to add. 

Her scalp was a little sore from the braid tug the Trolloc gave her. ?

For reals, though. I don't know how realistic it would be to see her pull it as much as she does in the books (hopefully some), but it'd be nice to see her gripping her braid when she's emotional and struggling to stay composed.

1 minute ago, Apoc81 said:

Also, I know this is really shallow, but the mole on Egwene's nose is extremely distracting on screen. I totally get it's not the actresses fault, and I actually think she's an excellent actress, but it just immediately draws my attention, every scene she's in.

You better get used to it. ? Josha has a small pimple next to his nostrils. It's quite visible on one scene

2 minutes ago, Agitel said:

Her scalp was a little sore from the braid tug the Trolloc gave her. ?

For reals, though. I don't know how realistic it would be to see her pull it as much as she does in the books (hopefully some), but it'd be nice to see her gripping her braid when she's emotional and struggling to stay composed.

??? yes I'd imagine that would be a bit painful. 

And I agree, not needed As much as in the books, but here and there would've been nice to me. 

10 minutes ago, SashaTarasa said:

Nyneave didn't tug on her braid even once!!! Sad one of her characters main traits didn't make it in. Would've been very simple to add. 

Personally I'm glad she's not tugging on her braid as in the books. That got really annoying after the 100th time haha. One of those "character traits" that doesn't really do much other than show frustration, which in a tv show can be done better through the actors facial expressions.

In the same vein, I'm glad that Rand, Matt, and Perrin haven't been constantly talking about how they sure don't understand women but the other ones do. Haha.

4 hours ago, Meskell said:

I assume for the sake of cost they have ignored the smooth ageless face of the AES Sedai?

I was thinking this as well, though I have no idea how you would pull that off on screen.... and I'm sure it would cost a lot to do. 

Guessing any talk of ageless face is out the window

I kept trying to view this show with an open mind, but it was hard. So many additions to leave out good chunks that imo shouldn’t be absent. I thought the 2nd and 3rd episodes were good, but man, that first one was a bit brutal for me.

I get they’re trying to make it more questionable as to who the Dragon Reborn is for new viewers, but man, the sacrifices this causes just isn’t worth it.

I actually really like the depiction of the Children of the Light. I was thrown off by their designs at first but they’ve grown on me. Have only good to say about them tbh.

I will say, the best thing so far has been the settings. Beautiful landscapes that give a Wheel of Time feel. So far I’d give the season somewhere between a 7-8/10. I was disappointed, expecting more, but I still have hope this'll get better.