DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E6: The Flame of Tar Valon

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 6 titled "The Flame of Tar Valon".

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 6.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

3 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Consciously or unconsciously, he started channeling before the Eye.

M herself doesn't know

Eotw ch52

“I begin to wonder,” Moiraine said. “The Eye of the World was made against the greatest need the world would ever face, but was it made for the use to which . . . we . . . put it, or to guard these things?

I always understood that Ish tempted them there, but in fact that backfired and he created his own nemesis. Had rand not channelled then, the Dragon would not have become as powerful as he did

But this is a topic that had been debated for years

1 hour ago, TheDreadReader said:

On of the challenges of thinking in terms of numbers is that if someone or a dozen people remark that x looks bad whereas 100 people don't, the numbers 1 to 12 may look significant but they may still only represent approximately 10% of responses.  

Similiarly, if 99 people all have the same complaint but they continue to watch the show, how significant of a factor is it really?

I would say it depends on the complaints, I give the show 5/10 and have had a few issues with it.  But nothing that would make me say gahh I can never watch this again but also I have no desire to watch the series again and again.  It doesn't mean the complaints aren't valid and they aren't giving Rafe ideas how to make season 2 better.  You could also say ohh 500 complained about this out of 5000, doesn't mean more haven't thought the same thing.  But maybe more just hasn't bothered to publicly say it.  But if enough people are saying OMg your weapons look so fake how the heck could you allow that?  It might make them think ok we went a bit too cheap on weapons or the writing here could have been a bit better.  Or they really didn't seem to like Moiraine suddenly just sipping tea outside Rand's room. It's when they make the same mistakes over and over is when they are going to lose people or that will seperate an ok series from a great series.

Edited by Sabio

43 minutes ago, Ralph said:

M herself doesn't know

Eotw ch52

“I begin to wonder,” Moiraine said. “The Eye of the World was made against the greatest need the world would ever face, but was it made for the use to which . . . we . . . put it, or to guard these things?

I always understood that Ish tempted them there, but in fact that backfired and he created his own nemesis. Had rand not channelled then, the Dragon would not have become as powerful as he did

But this is a topic that had been debated for years

Doesn't matter who knew when or if the channeling was conscious or unconscious.  Your statement was that the Eye started Rand channeling - which is false.

7 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Doesn't matter who knew when or if the channeling was conscious or unconscious.  Your statement was that the Eye started Rand channeling - which is false.

There has been a debate amongst the fans about the true prophesied purpose of the Eye at least since TSR came out, and probably earlier. 

I intended to refer to a fairly accepted theory that the Eye caused Rand to have the awareness of his channeling, and thereby to become a powerful channeler very quickly. 

I did not explain it clearly, you are right. 

But the conversation is what the Eye was for, and I believe it was to instigate Rand's conscious channeling. 

And I added that M herself was unsure what the purpose of the Eye was. 

Edited by Ralph

29 minutes ago, Ralph said:

There has been a debate amongst the fans about the true prophesied purpose of the Eye at least since TSR came out, and probably earlier. 

I intended to refer to a fairly accepted theory that the Eye caused Rand to have the awareness of his channeling, and thereby to become a powerful channeler very quickly. 

I did not explain it clearly, you are right. 

But the conversation is what the Eye was for, and I believe it was to instigate Rand's conscious channeling. 

And I added that M herself was unsure what the purpose of the Eye was. 

I am of the same mind that the Eye was created to give the DR a boost to his channeling.  Essentially skipping his initial growth spurt. This is all speculation on my part but if Rand had started channeling normally, reaching his max power all the while channeling tainted Saidin he would have gone mad sooner.

I also believe that the using the Eye is what caused the Seal to break which is why Ishammael led them there.  But once again there is nothing to support this in text.

1 hour ago, Sabio said:

I would say it depends on the complaints, I give the show 5/10 and have had a few issues with it.  But nothing that would make me say gahh I can never watch this again but also I have no desire to watch the series again and again.  It doesn't mean the complaints aren't valid and they aren't giving Rafe ideas how to make season 2 better.  You could also say ohh 500 complained about this out of 5000, doesn't mean more haven't thought the same thing.  But maybe more just hasn't bothered to publicly say it.  But if enough people are saying OMg your weapons look so fake how the heck could you allow that?  It might make them think ok we went a bit too cheap on weapons or the writing here could have been a bit better.  Or they really didn't seem to like Moiraine suddenly just sipping tea outside Rand's room. It's when they make the same mistakes over and over is when they are going to lose people or that will seperate an ok series from a great series.

Some of it depends on how you define what a great series is.   As a baseline, a series that keeps getting renewed is a series that maintains a consistent viewership or increases it.   After that things can get subjective.  People love the LOTR movies, I hated them.  People love the GOT series, I found it rather meh.  At the moment, my general rating for the WOT series in probably around a 6.5 to 7.25 out of ten. 

But, as a general rule, it is harder to get everything in season one right for the majority of fans.  It is far easier to course correct many of those things in subsequent seasons.   Just look at the Witcher, they had complaints about some armor and they worked to fix it in season two.  Improvements can be expected over time. 

Take Steppin's axes.  They were in one episode.  They were destroyed.  Solution to complaints?  Never show them again.  Problem solved. ?

True, problem is solved, But for me something like the axes should never have been an issue.  When they were reviewing that episode someone surely should have noticed that.  Seems like an easy fix they could have taken care of.   One thing they should have learned from other series is fans pay attention to every little detail.  

7 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Rand channeled at least a couple times before the Eye

The recorded instances are:

Washing fatigue from Bela (and possibly enhancing her in some way also) - reaction reckless behaviour in Baerlon

Whatever he did in Shadar Logoth to drive off Mordeth & Moving the boom on the riverboat to smash the trolloc - reaction balancing on the mast and sliding down the stay on the boat

Calling lightning to break out when trapped by Howel Gode - immediate reaction of fever

Doing something in the ways to drive off Machin Shin described as a light appearing inside it

The eye appeared to allow him to push much closer to his potential strength than normal so soon without burning out and to do so without the exposure to the taint that would have occurred drawing from the source.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:30 PM, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

The recorded instances are:

Washing fatigue from Bela (and possibly enhancing her in some way also) - reaction reckless behaviour in Baerlon

Whatever he did in Shadar Logoth to drive off Mordeth & Moving the boom on the riverboat to smash the trolloc - reaction balancing on the mast and sliding down the stay on the boat

Calling lightning to break out when trapped by Howel Gode - immediate reaction of fever

Doing something in the ways to drive off Machin Shin described as a light appearing inside it

The eye appeared to allow him to push much closer to his potential strength than normal so soon without burning out and to do so without the exposure to the taint that would have occurred drawing from the source.

I saw it mentioned somewhere (YT channel comment) that a few people thought that Rand throwing the trolloc off the ways in Ep7 was an homage to him throwing a trolloc off of the boat (by unconsciously using the boom).