DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E6: The Flame of Tar Valon

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 6 titled "The Flame of Tar Valon".

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 6.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

Here’s a thought about why Matt was left behind. Putting it in spoilers…

Spoiler

Does anyone else think they are going to play up the rivalry between Mat and Fain? That way, at the end, it’s much more climatic than the books.

Currently, Mat’s the only person we’ve seen interact with Fain (unlike the books).

I could also see Matt sisters being killed by Fain (along with/instead of Perrin’s family?) prior to the Battle of the Two Rivers)

I liked this episode, 7 out of 10. Moiraine was as close to the book Moiraine as I have seen yet.

Logain is definitely a scene stealer. I thought the whole scene that he was able to show his devastation much better than Stepin was able to do.

I am really hoping that the DO isnt really at the eye. That Ishamael has been controlling Siuan's dreams to set up a trap at the Eye. Knowing the 5 were on the way to Tar Valon, he could have easily set up a back up plan incase they made it there and out of his reach.

I really don't like Mat staying behind. Really betrays the book Mat who always did the right thing no matter how much he grumbled and threatened not to do it. Hopefully it turns into him getting fully healed and the luck kicks in.

This episode actually rubbed me the wrong way several times, and I've been more or less fully on board up to now.

I was fine with the diversion into tower politics and Aes Sedai world building in the last episode, but two in a row like this was a little too far. It's time to start dealing with book material again soon. More Rand and Mat please.... They haven't had a real pivotal plotline since episode 3. Too long.

The total focus on Moiraine in this episode made the ending feel rushed. It didn't work on screen when everybody agreed to go.  The reason for going to The Eye was always a weak point in the first book. Very rushed. This was different, but has the exact same problem. They should've taken the time to come up with something better for the adaptation, but they would've had to center the episode on that, and they clearly felt tower politics was more important than making the plot feel coherent.

I'm complaining a lot here, but I actually liked the episode anyway. I was entertained and engaged throughout. It might be the best written (from a dialogue standpoint, anyway) and acted episode so far. But as a book fan there were things that made me rage.

Best moment = Moiraine healing Mat

Worst moment = the rushed ending

I'm going to re-watch shortly, and will probably like it more the second time. But I'm ready for them to make the book stuff the main plot again for a few episodes. The first three episodes were following the spine of the story pretty closely. Everything was different from the book, but I could clearly see EOTW at the core of it.

The last three episodes have diverged from that. They were all good, but we're running out of episodes now.

The moment where Moiraine heals Mat is a pretty close approximation of a book scene. Different but well done and I loved it. More of that please.

Edited by NinjaPowers975

If I grade the episode on a how true I feel it is to EOTW then yes I would give it a lower grade.   But if I grade it on how true I feel it is to the books - then I would give this episode the best grade of them all.   How I mesh the perspectives is going to be interesting.  

The B.S interview with the part of the 4 arcs of WOT plays true.   Depending on what your favorite part of the series is, will affect how you see this episode imo.  

Moiraine & Siuan are 2 of my favorite characters, so I absolutely loved having them highlighted in this episode.    Moiraine how she looks in the Hall is basically how I picture her, at least in terms of dress & expressions, and I doubt now that I'll be able to remove Rosamund Pike from Moiraine.   Just absolutely amazing for me.  

I had heard rumours this was where Mat would be left - and like mentioned, it likely had to be due to the pandemic and loss of Barney Harris.   But for me at least a clean break will help with the transition to the new Mat portrayal.  

I really enjoyed how the Waygate was portrayed.

Basically what a great episode.  I think I will have to re-watch this one several times in order for me to figure out exactly how to finally properly appreciate it.  

1 hour ago, Owayn The Traveller said:

and before someone gets snarky and says ‘I dint need to watch’ or ‘thanks for watching this far and good luck’, don’t. I’ll be watching to the end in hope that Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time makes an appearance. 
Im a stubborn, woolheaded shepherded like that. 

That makes you a true Servant of All.   Or perhaps better - Jenn Aiel.   Those that kept true to their oaths.  Without you there is no Rhuidean.

2 hours ago, Frenata said:

It feels pretty clear that they're just flat out wrong about this. The show is playing up the reality-from-the-books that the Aes Sedai don't know as much as they think they know.

"Lol let's send these five and see what happens" is pretty comparable as a 'plan' as Moiraine's plan in the books. That is: neither is a particularly good plan and in both cases they are sorta just falling into obvious traps. But again, book-Moiraine never imagined the world-changing reality of the DR.

Mat staying behind was a bit of a shock to me.

Moiraine's wording of the oath notably differed from Siuan's: while Siuan said "obey the judgement of the AS", Moiraine said "obey the judgement of Siuan Sanche". ?

Maigan: "ships disappearing in the west"

Me: "reeeeeee"

Rand think he kills the dark one in the first 3 books…

UGH. 

Okay. Trying to find some good things:

Leane! I love her character and she makes an appearance as Keeper!

Mo and Su as lovers okay whatever. Gratuitous bewbs, hmm. What am I watching here?

I continue to like the opening credits of the loom and thread. ?

Uh...that ending sequence was brutal. Tho; Mandarb? ?

Wooden acting reached new levels of bad. ?

7 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

The B.S interview

Another important comment to keep in mind from the interview is that BS said Rafe, and co, aren’t adapting each book but the entire story.

Personally, I think this helps get my head around some of the changes. I try to think about the end goal for the changes made.

It's truly like people got together to figure out all the things that made Wheel of Time Wheel of Time, then squeezed out any last drop of that essence, before discarding it and giving us the dry empty shell-husk. 

Then we're expected to fill in the gaps of a technically very poorly produced show's horrendous story editing with our knowledge of the books? 

No thanks. 

1 hour ago, thievingsackofpotatoes said:

Same. Usually can shake it off on my second viewing and enjoy the episode more as a “viewer.”

I had that same feeling for episode 1 and it took a second viewing for me to actually like it. The first time watching episode 1-2-3 hated the first and tolerated the second and third.

Once episode 4-5-6 came out I had separated the book wheel from the series wheel enough to appreciate them each upon the initial viewing and become more excited for the next installment each subsequent week. I think the final two episodes are gonna be amazing! The Ways shouldn’t be too hard to pull off but the eye, green man, forsaken and Ba’alzamon etc will need to be epic for the series to really stand out to the masses and I think it will.

Well RJ showrunner has solved the male gaze problem.  In scenes with naked women bathing and 2 very attractive women making out all I could think of was " get the mashadar out of Mat."

Also Alanna has a nervous eating problem with fruit. I guess the persimmons were ripe. I think I want a food show with Alanna.

I am contemplating filing a complaint with PETA.  I was cool with letting Taren Ferry be a Trolloc buffet but loosing saddled horses into the wilderness.  That is some crap right there.

My wife asked why I didn't tell her the Mines of Moria were also in WoT.

I found myself unexpectedly tense during the initial Hall scene. Wasn't a huge fan of all the Aes Sedai politicking when I read the books, but it definitely drew me in here.

Loved the cold open.

Was a little bummed about how the waygate opened but I'll get over it.

Felt like a Ter'Angreal to TAR?

1 minute ago, elteryon said:

I found myself unexpectedly tense during the initial Hall scene. Wasn't a huge fan of all the Aes Sedai politicking when I read the books, but it definitely drew me in here.

Loved the cold open.

Was a little bummed about how the waygate opened but I'll get over it.

I definitely agree it has to be a Ter'Angreal to Tel'aran'rhiod with them going to Siuan childhood burned down shack in Tear. Loved the opening scene too with young Siuan on the river fishing....only RJ describes Tear as super flat ground and muddy in the Maule... but I think the show is going with a mountainous backdrop so I'm ok with the change there, it was aesthetically pleasing opposed to see her dragging lines in New Orleans?

9 minutes ago, elteryon said:

Yep, had the same thought. That room didn't feel like a real world place. More like an idealized meeting place based on Siuan's past. I'm guessing Siuan is a dreamer, based on this and her comments about dreams.

Edited by NinjaPowers975

2 hours ago, Arthellion said:

Ngl I loved the first four episodes but the past two have sucked for me.

These aren't the characters I care about. I like Moraine well enough..but we've had two whole episodes with barely any time happening for Rand/Mat/Perrin

Such a waste of  time. I'm very frustrated. I'll give them until season 2 but...just ugh. Very disappointed that it seems it's just going to focus on Moraine as the focal point. 

Be patient, the wheel weaves as the wheel wills and she's a producer on the show. Moraine influence diminishes as a character but then again she is a producer too

34 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

okay full comments later, but want to get this on the record - anyone else get the feeling that Ishy's been playing with Siuan's dreams to get the party sent to they Eye?

Yes.

Although, I briefly toyed with the idea that the forsaken were already free but having them still bound would work much better... so Ishy doing Ishy things is my bet.