DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Musical shift

DojoToad

I am a child of the 80's - born in 1968.  In any case, 80's rock/pop are my kind of music.  Favorite is Phil Collins/Genesis.  But also like Foreigner, Journey, Van Halen, Heart, etc...

One thing I noticed recently.  I used to like Billy Joel in the 80's and was indifferent to Tom Petty.  Complete switch.  Now I can't stand Billy Joel and really enjoy Tom Petty.  Anyone else notice a similar change for themselves as the years wear on?

Edited by DojoToad

Nirvana. I was unconvinced at the time, because I guess the tone was just lost on me. But I appreciate them more now, even if it is only because I really enjoy the Foo Fighters and you can't do that without at least listening to Nirvana. But I am still not into very dark songs. I'm just not there.

Other than that , just a few songs that mostly make me nostalgic, but that I don't really like (or liked then). I still enjoy Billy Joel and Tom Petty is (was) awesome. The only true constant is Prince. I keep thinking 'nah, he wasn't that good' and then it hits me: he really was.

I started going back and pulling out my old CDs.  It seems I still like the old mix CDs I used to make.  I think some of the revival punk is more poppy than I remembered and those are the ones I don't enjoy now.  But Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American" is still a masterpiece even if some of the songs are pop punk.  I have already listened to it 3 times this weekend just because of you starting this post.

I also find I enjoy even more the classic rock I grew up listening to because of my dad.  Doobie Brothers, Eric Clapton, Almond Brothers, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 11:47 AM, Daenelia said:

Nirvana. I was unconvinced at the time, because I guess the tone was just lost on me. But I appreciate them more now, even if it is only because I really enjoy the Foo Fighters and you can't do that without at least listening to Nirvana. But I am still not into very dark songs. I'm just not there.

Other than that , just a few songs that mostly make me nostalgic, but that I don't really like (or liked then). I still enjoy Billy Joel and Tom Petty is (was) awesome. The only true constant is Prince. I keep thinking 'nah, he wasn't that good' and then it hits me: he really was.

I came of age in the early 90's...classic rock and thrash/metal were my main touchstones  of the time. 

The thing that has changed is, less metal and *waay* more Prince. Prince just was...an enigma...lol...to a young white boy in rural Indiana. Now one of my faves. 

Just now, WheelofJuke said:

I came of age in the early 90's...classic rock and thrash/metal were my main touchstones  of the time. 

The thing that has changed is, less metal and *waay* more Prince. Prince just was...an enigma...lol...to a young white boy in rural Indiana. Now one of my faves. 

Maybe we always catch up to what we missed the first time round ?

But omg, I hear Prince and I think: how can we have taken that kind of genius for granted.