DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hello!

WhiteVeils

I first started reading WOT in 1990, and have finished as books have come out since.  It's been a long time since I did a full read, but I'm listening to the audio books now that the show is going to come out.

I really loved the books and there are certain moments in it that are just awesome.  Certain characterizations that are great too.

But I find myself really hoping profoundly that the show /is/ a new turning of the wheel...an opportunity to do a really strong edit, both getting rid of cruft/boring stuff in the middle books, and to remove or retune some of the really problematic stuff that verges on abuse in some areas.  I think it can do that and not lose anything at all, and it will make the core story so much stronger.  I have lots of thoughts of what I'd like them to cut or retune, and I'm almost afraid to hope too much that they will, because I don't want to be disappointed. And frankly, if they don't, this show will go over like a lead balloon.  

So, praying for the best?  Anyway, it's nice to meet you.

WV

Hi, there. Wow reading from 1990 is pretty amazing I can't claim to have started that early. For me WoT is one of my favourite book series. I don't claim it's perfect I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect book, movie or anything else we make. I think as humans we are imperfect creatures constantly striving for perfection. I don't mind if the TV series changes things from the books as long as the changes are not worse than the original story. In my opinion if you are making a change it needs to at least be as good a choice as the source material and preferably better otherwise the change is pointless. This was my problem with several of the changes in the Game of Thrones series (that and the steady decline in quality from season 5 onwards, again just my humble opinion don't want to offend if you are a massive GoT fan). I hope the WoT series learns from  the mistakes of the GoT series because I think if it's done right and finds it's audience it can surpass GoT. The end of WoT is leagues ahead of GoT in my opinion.

Edited by SingleMort

15 hours ago, SingleMort said:

The end of WoT is leagues ahead of GoT in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more.  I also feel that GoT really only gets people's attention by having no qualms about killing off 'main characters' and more often than not punishing characters who stand up for good and honorable things.

18 hours ago, thehumantrashcan said:

Couldn't agree more.  I also feel that GoT really only gets people's attention by having no qualms about killing off 'main characters' and more often than not punishing characters who stand up for good and honorable things.

Lol I could rant for some time about all the problems I have with GoT but this probably isn't the best place to do that. I was just saying I think WoT has the potential to do better because I think it has a stronger payoff.  There are some things that are a little bit dated now like Rand not wanted to fight a bad person if they are a woman and there's a few moments that feel like they were a bit too drawn out but I think overall it's one of the most satisfying series I've read. It delivers what it promises.

Edited by SingleMort