DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What is happening right now?

DojoToad

I remember reading before the first COVID-19 shut down that filming was complete on the first 6 episodes. They are now filming season 2. If Rafe is over in Europe to be involved with filming, is his part of post production done?  Why are we waiting until November to air?  Are they trying to find the sweet spot for max success and how do they determine the window?

Sorry, I obviously don’t know how this stuff rolls out…

6 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Are they trying to find the sweet spot for max success

In a word, yes.

How do they determine that? I have no earthly idea. Some of it probably has to do with all the sweet merch they will be able to have available for the Black Friday shoppers. Some with the notion that TV viewing rises in the winter time when people are spending more time inside.

But I suspect it's mostly guesswork.

• Community Administrator
12 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I remember reading before the first COVID-19 shut down that filming was complete on the first 6 episodes. They are now filming season 2. If Rafe is over in Europe to be involved with filming, is his part of post production done?  Why are we waiting until November to air?  Are they trying to find the sweet spot for max success and how do they determine the window?

Sorry, I obviously don’t know how this stuff rolls out…

Movies/TV series almost never immediately release when post-production has wrapped.
They have several internal release dates in mind, and they want post-production to wrap before those dates. They factor in things like what competing shows are expected to be out, optimal release dates for maximum viewership, and a billion other factors we're not privy to.

If this was 15 years ago, you wouldn't think twice about launching a new tv show during the Premiere of the new season of Lost, unless you were confident it could get similar Numbers.

Inversely if you were an Executive at FOX, and you have a show that's doing Okay, but you want to get rid of it. You move it's time slot to prime-time, on the hottest day of the week for TV shows and watch it crash and burn, while everyone's to busy watching LOST, SURVIVOR, or HEROES.

(Or if you're Christopher Titus, and got into an argument with an executive at Fox, they move your show to a dead slot and when it predictably doesn't meet the required viewership, they tell you your show has been canceled until the last legally obligated second)

• Community Administrator
13 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

So the release date is determined, is any further work being done on season 1?  Or is it all in the can?

At this point, it's probably all in the can... or at least 99% done with some final touch ups.
Probably some localization could still be going on.
And Legal. Legal is always going on.

Then I think a sneak screening for a select few (me) is in order.  These people (me) will be sworn to secrecy and be required to sign NDAs.  These special screenings will include a trunk full of swag for all (me) involved.  Where would folks (me) go to sign up?

There is another "historic" reason to launch in the fall. Most networks would launch pilots or new seasons in the fall so that advertisers can put their commercials on because November is when most new car models come out.

That's one of the reasons you also saw shows launch during sweeps months (Nov, Feb, May)

So its sort of become a thing over the year that even streaming services will launch either in the summer (shorter shows...smaller season numbers to boost typically low viewership months) or fall (bigger shows, or shows with high episode counts IE Greys anatomy that has 20 - 23 episodes a season).

Also what others have said before ?

22 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Why are we waiting until November to air?

My guess is that (in addition to all of the points made above), releasing the weekend before Thanksgiving in the US was a conscious decision to maximize the word of mouth. With most people seeing extended families/old friends, the conversation inevitably turns to what tv everyone is watching: "omg you have to check out this super cool new fantasy show on Amazon. Could be the next Thrones. Hopefully they don't mess up the ending LOL." That combined with running through the holiday season where people have more time off/weather starts getting colder/holiday parties for word of mouth, I can see why that would be considered an ideal time to release.

To that point, I would expect (read: hope) that they start to ramp up the marketing significantly over the next few weeks. It's been almost a month (!) since the teaser dropped so you'd think that the full trailer will be released sometime mid-October maybe, some TV spots during football games, etc. Gotta get that hype train rolling

Waiting is hard.

But I keep assuming it will be available worldwide. I should find some confirmation of that, because nothing would be more annoying to have to avoid the forum because you all watched it and I have to wait for it to become available in my neck of the woods. (I checked: it should be available.)

I guess that is one of the things they might be doing: localization? All those episodes have to be subtitled, and have actors do the voices for other languages.

I always thought that a switch is flipped and we all get access at the same time - your time zone would determine if it was 2am, 4pm, or whatever.

I also thought Dune was being released all at once too, but Europe seems to be enjoying it now while the USA is going to wait a few more weeks.

Lmao, now Im picturing some executive in a manor in the dark, fingers steepled. The clock strikes the appointed time and he looks off into the darkness, “Release…season one”. A click is heard, power arcs in the distance, and the world all gets the show at once. 

Thanks Toad. 

42 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Lmao, now Im picturing some executive in a manor in the dark, fingers steepled. The clock strikes the appointed time and he looks off into the darkness, “Release…season one”. A click is heard, power arcs in the distance, and the world all gets the show at once. 

Thanks Toad. 

LOL - you're imagination took you way further than I did.  Glad I could contribute though.  ?

Now I'm thinking Mr. Burns - "Release the hounds"  CHECK THAT "Release the Dark Hounds"

Edited by DojoToad

12 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

LOL - you're imagination took you way further than I did.  Glad I could contribute though.  ?

Now I'm thinking Mr. Burns - "Release the hounds"  CHECK THAT "Release the Dark Hounds"

hehehe Burns was the inspiration for my scenario indeed

This being Amazon, I'd also hazard a guess that they're banking on increased traffic during the holiday season. People who get Prime to watch the show will boost their sales, and people who get Prime for holiday shopping will boost the show's audience.

On 9/30/2021 at 9:40 AM, CaddySedai said:

Thanks Toad. 

Thanks this with be my mental image from now on ?