DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Babylon 5 - Reboot

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator

Babylon-5-logopng.png?fit=1440,%2B9999&c

Babylon 5 is going to be rebooted. According to The Hollywood Reporter, The CW is developing a “from-the-ground-up reboot” with series creator J. Michael Straczynski, which will follow Earthforce officer John Sheridan as he is assigned to the titular station—and the destiny that he faces after Earth finds itself locked into a war with an ancient civilization.

https://www.tor.com/2021/09/27/babylon-5-the-cw-j-michael-straczynski/?fbclid=IwAR3z76OC7seU-tzKTdEzUnJASskQSPSngSPP9fL_XfIsZdVnUijuwTWNDww

6 minutes ago, thehumantrashcan said:

Ooooh!  I am interested.

Right?

I'm sure this'll get flack for being on the "CW", but given that PTEN and TNT were WB Affiliates, and "The WB" later became "the CW", that puts this still largely in the same house.

I love that they're bringing back Straczynski! Definitely need some more Sci-Fi to fill in the gaps between Discovery/Picard, and the Orville!

2 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

Is it needed?

No, but Yes?

3 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

but would you not be more interested in new stories in that universe?

Definitely. I'm most interested in the story beyond the original series finale.

My hope with a reboot, is that it could go beyond the original. 
If they tried to continue where it left off, it would be jarring without a reboot. ? 

But that is what a reboot is, right? I mean, I still think they'd have no choice but to add some stuff, replace other stuff. There are more options now and times have changed. If they did the same scripts and shots, it would be a little ... weird?

Of course, I keep BSG in mind, where it worked awesomely. Then again, Ron Moore really did add a lot and change things to keep the story moving.

Then again, B5 was already a big thing and very respected for what it accomplished. They would have no trouble adding new stuff onto what already is there. Like Star Trek did. Even if they did not always move forward into the future.

I would really welcome another long running franchise in another universe. I'd love for Star Trek, Stargate ( ... and star wars) to get companionship from the B5 universe. What I do know is that these franchises can tackle different types of story and of course I am all for diversity, as a Trekkie!

Who knows? If it is a successful reboot it can still happen!

• 4 weeks later...