DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

That Potential Waygate.

CaddySedai

4 minutes ago, Chaotik_lord said:

This is positive but not constructive-that first Bali gate you shared really does look alive.   (I always pictured the Waygate doors as being kind of like giant cellar doors, with a slight angle so that forward always had a little bit of down as well).    I’m hoping there will be doors-and I am with someone else in that I also imagined the exterior “framing” would vary by location.  In no way would they be so visibly advertised as on a bare hill, with no trees around.   Either the grove remained, or it was hidden after the corruption.   But I’m open to see what comes of this.  Again, that Bali gate is positively vivacious.

I think it was both positive and constructive.

I have a feeling its from later on in the series and may very well be a waygate outside of a stedding...and the trees might be behind and away from the waygate. That would satisfy both the need for it to be outsize the nullification zone and also in a location one might build one.

TBH if it IS a waygate I'm curious how they will be shown when they cant be in the open but are built OVER. Do they incorporate the architecture into the buildings? does it become a support wall?

Could be cool tbh

I hope that there is a hidden leaf key and when you place it on this structure the gate grows from the leaf like vines, branches, and or roots shooting out and across the divide between the two parts.  It is also possible that they could add CGI to make those two pillars (don't know what else to call them) look like they are covered in carved leaves and vines that seem to move.

18 minutes ago, thehumantrashcan said:

I hope that there is a hidden leaf key and when you place it on this structure the gate grows from the leaf like vines, branches, and or roots shooting out and across the divide between the two parts.  It is also possible that they could add CGI to make those two pillars (don't know what else to call them) look like they are covered in carved leaves and vines that seem to move.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

8 hours ago, thehumantrashcan said:

I approve of this.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, thehumantrashcan said:

When I mentioned the Stargate (from the movie & associated tv series) earlier this is kind of the idea that I was thinking of.   It's just a weird ring artifact, then it is a weird ring artifact that rotates, and then when you have the correct symbols it is a ring that moves and a great (for its time) visual effect.  

The rectangular space between the upright pillars is perfect for framing a green screen and you can adorn the pillars with practical effects (or cgi) pretty easily.   I'd be wholly on board with it working like you described it.

I do think that it can be useful to look at how other movies/shows have done things because it does give us a sense of what is possible/probable to do.  Like for the portal stones, I always saw them working like the transporter room in Star Trek or the phone booth scene in the first Matrix movie.  A bit of sparkly bits left behind or a slow dissolving of the people using them.

My two fears (at this point) is how much budget are they willing to use for something that will be used just a few times before being replaced by other travelling methods.   And, how similar will the reaction to the waygates be to the reactions of some fans to how they've shown channeling so far.   I take some comfort in Rafe's point about investing time and resources into showing us SL and I think the way they showed channeling in the teaser makes a lot of sense to me.  So, I am pretty positive about them.