DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

That Potential Waygate.

CaddySedai

So, before I get into this yes...yes I get it. If this thing is in fact a waygate its blasphemy and should be balefired out of existence, I get it. We've had that conversation on the site and I don't think it needs to come up again. 

Now lets try to do something POSITIVE... or at least constructive XD

Possible Waygate Photos - Wheel of Time TV Series News

That being said I wanted to discuss it as one in this thread from a more positive standpoint. Architectural, Practical, etc.

So I'll kick it off with a few things ?

First. Yes, this isn't your father's waygate. However from a cinematic standpoint - depending on how its portrayed it could...make a ton more sense than the waygates as described.

So I always pictured the waygate as a door, not overly large...at most a gate sized door at the least the size of a house's double door. Makes sense earlier in the series but then starts going wonk as armies are being moved. This massive honking thing could easily fit several abreast with their mounts...so moving an army would be way easier.

Second. I love the architecture. If you were going to replace the beloved waygate with its living stonework with something, this things awesome. I could see how for those who know what it is...its a spectacular means of connecting distant points...but later on would be regarded as little more than a ruin by those who do not know. Besides - it seems to take inspiration from the Bali gates. These are some of the most striking structures that I know of.

Heaven's Gate, Pura Lempuyang Door, Bali, Indonesia | Places to travel,  Places to visit, Breathtaking places

The Famous Bali Gates - Handara Golf Course in Bedugal, Bali - A Global  Stroll

I honestly love these things and totally support their existence in the series...even if it HAD to be the waygate lol. And in all honesty I wish they looked more like the Bali gates.

That said...if you are going to save money not having a cool door or anything (unless the door "appears" which is acceptable) then I expect a bangin special effect. 

Something like this clip from a game trailer with a much much smaller but similarly designed entity.

https://giant.gfycat.com/AcidicCostlyElkhound.mp4

How would you like to see how the waygate is used?

And again this assumes that this is the waygate and you don't get to "wish it into the form from the books" lol. Unless it does a magic door appear-y thing. I approve of this lol. No cop-outs ?

I don't mind the change to the Waygates that much overall.  They definitely don't match the picture that I had in my head but I can see how they might also point to how they do the portal stones also.  Creating a semi-consistent look and feel might be one of the reasons for the change.  Getting rid of the portal stones and combining them with the Waygates might be another.  That is pure speculation on my part.

In terms of the CGI effect, I keep thinking that they might try to make it look Stargate-y which I think could be pretty cool but also may be a little weird to our head canons. 

Edited by TheDreadReader
fixed a typo.

I think those would have been an excellent replacement for portal stones - not sure how they're going to turn them into Waygates. But, I'm glad they're using something real as something from the books - it must be so meaningful to the people who live there.

6 minutes ago, Elgee said:

I think those would have been an excellent replacement for portal stones - not sure how they're going to turn them into Waygates. But, I'm glad they're using something real as something from the books - it must be so meaningful to the people who live there.

Perhaps something to do with channeling saidin makes the Waygate cross with one in a portal world or something? Idk. The whole portal world thing could get scrapped.

10 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Imagine this... the Waygate gets changed into an instant portal. No more Ways.

Can you be 100% sure that it won't happen? I'm not.

Almost 100%. IRRC, one of the actors (maybe Rosamund Pike) mentioned the Ways as being particularly amazing. 

1 hour ago, TheMountain said:

Imagine this... the Waygate gets changed into an instant portal. No more Ways.

Can you be 100% sure that it won't happen? I'm not.

I mean, kiiinda against the spirit and of this post being ways to imagine it working in a positive way but. Okies. lol

Edited by CaddySedai

11 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

I mean, kiiinda against the spirit and of this post being ways to imagine it working in a positive way but. Okies. lol

My bad, you're right. One idea I had was that the portal could appear to open from within itself. Starting at a singularity... and then the vines would start rushing out and encrusting the structure, widening the rift until it reached the pillars. 

Just now, Guire said:

My only issue is the back side without stairs.  It kind of looks like an overdone bar b que grill.  I envision trollocs flipping villagers on the grill.

Well, I mean Stargate platforms didn't have back stairs either. The wormhole only worked one direction. 

12 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Well, I mean Stargate platforms didn't have back stairs either. The wormhole only worked one direction. 

I assume we will never see the back side in show.  I wish the released photos had never included it.  Now it will be pull the leaf and a gust of hotdogs and hamburgers tickles Perrin's sensitive nose.

I don’t think we are supposed to see the back side of a waygate. 

Pretty sure thats a one way trip to dead. 

The back side of the structure tho? pretty sure thats fine to see. Books and Series lol. 

Edited by CaddySedai

I suspect they'll just have Waygates be opened with the One Power and then possibly also have them act as Portal Stones, though they may just ignore Portal Stones altogether.

I don't think it's intentionally cheap nor do I think it's hiding a true design that appears when opened. Rafe expected book fans to know what it was when the poster was revealed, he thought people would recognize it as is.

Maybe they'll have different designs for different Waygates across the continent.

16 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

So back in the day there was always someone to channel when non-channelers wanted to use them?

Maybe, they might also go with Ogier singing to open the Waygates and the One Power to use them like Portal Stones.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the structure itself which could be used to open it.

Edited by AusLeviathan

1 hour ago, DaddyFinn said:

So back in the day there was always someone to channel when non-channelers wanted to use them?

Not necessarily. Back in the AoL you had items infused with the Power via standing weaves that could last hundreds upon hundreds of years.

You simply need to know what you are looking for and what it does. Knowledge that is lost by common folk over time and even many Aes Sedai - due to the danger of the Ways one might think hiding the knowledge even from their own wise.

Yeah, really hoping that's a portal stone.  The Waygates were grown by Ogier by planting special talismans, given to them by powerful male channelers. Hence the look of a living thing that looks even more alive once activated.  Those don't look like they grew out of the ground...in any way.

My guess is they are simply passing by this portal stone on their journey, but it will be remembered by Rand for another time.  Unless they literally skip a bunch of story and have them camp there, and Rand wakes up in a portal world. 

So that's my positive contribution.  It's not a Waygate.  ?  *phew*

Edited by JJLXL
Clarity

This is positive but not constructive-that first Bali gate you shared really does look alive.   (I always pictured the Waygate doors as being kind of like giant cellar doors, with a slight angle so that forward always had a little bit of down as well).    I’m hoping there will be doors-and I am with someone else in that I also imagined the exterior “framing” would vary by location.  In no way would they be so visibly advertised as on a bare hill, with no trees around.   Either the grove remained, or it was hidden after the corruption.   But I’m open to see what comes of this.  Again, that Bali gate is positively vivacious.