DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Romantic relationships

Guire

Will showrunners allow any of the main characters to complete story arc without a relationship?  For example will Egwene complete arc only having limited romance with Rand if Gawyn is cut.  Or Perrin if Faile/Laila are killed or never materialize.  This could be an interesting hero journey if they do.  Or would that be anti-woke having lead female not have time for love because she is saving the world. ?

Honestly, lets look at this in a positive way. How bout we get all Oprah in this place and go “You get someone, and you get someone!”

Who is Padan Fain going to end up with? Will it be a storybook romance?

Well storybook in the sense that they are insane, live in a sewer, and declare themselves the king and queen of rats? lol

46 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Honestly, lets look at this in a positive way. How bout we get all Oprah in this place and go “You get someone, and you get someone!”

Who is Padan Fain going to end up with? Will it be a storybook romance?

Well storybook in the sense that they are insane, live in a sewer, and declare themselves the king and queen of rats? lol

Fain and mashadar are the power couple that we never knew we always needed.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:51 AM, Guire said:

For example will Egwene complete arc only having limited romance with Rand if Gawyn is cut.

I think that some of the reactions to the Rand/Egwene sexy time shots may have gotten a little ahead of themselves.   In the books both Rand and Egwene have 'virtual' experiences of a relationship without it happening in the main timeline.  I always thought that R/Egwene felt a little too forced.

That said...  I'd be happy if they cut the whole Galad/Gawyn question.  I'd be happy if they cut Rand and his three ladies.  

Bela and Mandarb definitely needs to be a thing though.

In my mind Rand and Egwene were just each other's default. They would definitely have ended up being a comfortable couple if nothing interesting had happened in their lives. They would not have been unhappy either.

Rand and his three ladies can stay ? I'd like to see them try and do a convincing polyamorous thing there. That would be fun. As long as it doesn't become the main raison d'etre for some of the characters. Romance is nice, but it is never the goal.

1 hour ago, Daenelia said:

In my mind Rand and Egwene were just each other's default. They would definitely have ended up being a comfortable couple if nothing interesting had happened in their lives. They would not have been unhappy either.

Rand and his three ladies can stay ? I'd like to see them try and do a convincing polyamorous thing there. That would be fun. As long as it doesn't become the main raison d'etre for some of the characters. Romance is nice, but it is never the goal.

Agreed. I saw each of Rand’s relationships as such:

- Elayne taught him court politics and how to rule.

- Aviendha taught him about his Aiel heritage. 
- Min was his grip on who he was and where he came from. 

Each important to his growth into the Dragon Reborn and his ability to unite the nations for TG. Each a strong character independent of their relationship to Rand. As are all the characters in WOT, IMO. A testament to Jordan’s work.

I hope the romances in the TV-series has a purpose / character growth implications. In the books it felt like that the default was that everyone had to couple up. I don't mind the TV-show trailer playing up Rand's and Egwene's physical relationship since they have been aged up and it will give more impact when their relationship ends.

On a side note trailer Rand has the love sick puppy look to me so I hope Egwene is gentle with him and don't break his heart to much since he will have other things to deal with...

On 9/12/2021 at 5:51 AM, Guire said:

Will showrunners allow any of the main characters to complete story arc without a relationship?  For example will Egwene complete arc only having limited romance with Rand if Gawyn is cut.  Or Perrin if Faile/Laila are killed or never materialize.  This could be an interesting hero journey if they do.  Or would that be anti-woke having lead female not have time for love because she is saving the world. ?

I kind of expect Egwene to end the show without a love interest. Her relationship towards the end is more a drag on her arc of sacrifice for the Tower than it is anything else, in terms of diluting her love for the Tower and what the Aes Sedai stand for as the motivation behind most/all of her actions. Most of the others are tougher. Faile is the only one I could even remotely see being dropped, but she's much more important to Perrin's development than Gawyn is to Egwene's, so I expect she'll stay.

Rand and his Unholy Trinity may be one of the dumbest aspects of the books. The explanation of why these three ladies would each settle for sharing him with the other two literally boils down to “well, it’s ta’veren.” That’s a lazy plot device in any writing, but especially when you use it on three supposedly smart and strong-willed women.

It’s also going to make Rand look like a total d-bag and threatens to turn WOTTV into Bachelor in Randland. I don’t know how the series addresses this, but it’s probably the only major change to the core story that I would welcome.

59 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

Rand and his Unholy Trinity may be one of the dumbest aspects of the books. The explanation of why these three ladies would each settle for sharing him with the other two literally boils down to “well, it’s ta’veren.” That’s a lazy plot device in any writing, but especially when you use it on three supposedly smart and strong-willed women.

It’s also going to make Rand look like a total d-bag and threatens to turn WOTTV into Bachelor in Randland. I don’t know how the series addresses this, but it’s probably the only major change to the core story that I would welcome.

Elayne was always my least favorite of the girls. I could see Aviendha and Min working if they just get to spend more time together. If Rafe has to choose just one I hope it's Min. She was always the right one for him. ?

5 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Elayne was always my least favorite of the girls. I could see Aviendha and Min working if they just get to spend more time together. If Rafe has to choose just one I hope it's Min. She was always the right one for him. ?

Yea if it's a choice it better be Min.  Maybe just have Elayne be Egwene's close friend that guides her and Rand in court intrigue without romance.  Have Avhienda be something that looks like it is going to be but never materializes.  Min is one that feels like a real relationship.

Tbh from a romantic relationship perspective off the bat I am eager to see if the series holds true to the creeping paranoia and mood changes the dagger has over Mat, or if it falls prey to a Gollum level of love and hate over it. 

2 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

Tbh from a romantic relationship perspective off the bat I am eager to see if the series holds true to the creeping paranoia and mood changes the dagger has over Mat, or if it falls prey to a Gollum level of love and hate over it. 

I want creeping paranoia.  I don't want to see good Mat arguing with dagger Mat on screen.

In the books, maybe, though for me Rand/Aviendha was the most fun and interesting pairing to read. The actress for Min in the show has been cast a lot older (35-37 per Reddit internet sleuthing) than Rand though, I just don't see it working very well in an 8-season show that will take almost 10 years to complete.

17 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

The actress for Min in the show has been cast a lot older (35-37 per Reddit internet sleuthing) than Rand though, I just don't see it working very well in an 8-season show that will take almost 10 years to complete.

Maybe show-Rand has mommy issues? ? Kea doesn't look that old yet.

29 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

I love that you emphasize yet ?

Just hoping we don’t have to use CGI to go Young Luke on anyone over the next 10 years lol

Edited by CaddySedai

2 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

If Rand has mommy issues then we need to skip right to the real cougar in the series.  Verin.  That's a world controlling power couple right there.  And I bet she knows stuff considering what she had to do to stay in darkfriends good graces.;)

I don't have a problem with the triumvirate. But my guess is that there will be some retconning of one or more of the girls sexual preferences. I could see, for example, Elayne becoming a political marriage of convenience and strong friendship but no sex, while Aviendha becomes bisexual and has relations with both Rand and Elayne. And then Rand and Min have a one-on-one deal. 

There are a number of different ways it could be done. I think the things to definitely keep, however, are: the Rand/Avi snow scene; the Avi/Elayne sister ceremony; the double bond of Rand (and Alanna's as well); and the Rand/Min near death scene (which - to make effective - requires a very special relationship exist between them).

3 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I don't have a problem with the triumvirate. But my guess is that there will be some retconning of one or more of the girls sexual preferences. I could see, for example, Elayne becoming a political marriage of convenience and strong friendship but no sex, while Aviendha becomes bisexual and has relations with both Rand and Elayne. And then Rand and Min have a one-on-one deal.

No thanks. If WOTTV starts going down this road, I'm done. No offense intended (and I realize I'm about to lose even more of @SinisterDeath's respect ?), but I have a low tolerance for Woke, and this would be several bridges too far for me. This would be, like, Wheel of Woke.

The easiest and, frankly, best solution is to have Rand work his way through all three, but ultimately settle on one. Elayne is an early dalliance until Rand figures out she's more interested in politics/power (hmmm... where does that seem familiar?), and Rand wavers between Min and Aviendha before ultimately settling on Min or one of them gets killed off.

Edited by Beidomon

I think it is quite realistic to see that Rand won't settle on one person romantically. That is pretty much a reality for most people.

... but I am European, I may see things differently.

I don't think Min would stick with Rand if she was the sole focus of his attentions. He is intense, man!