DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lan is too pretty

Guire

I assume making Lan look a little younger is about shrinking the age gap between Nyn and him.  Their relationship is too important to series to be unbelievable.  Then it occurred that possibly having some eye candy for female viewers may be part of marketing to larger female demographic.  Does anyone know how viewership breaks down for fantasy shows between male/female viewers?  

I get making changes but man I wanted the craggy soldier Lan.  At least they could give him some facial scars or something.

He works for me. He's missing the grey hairs that I pictured in my head, but is otherwise pretty much perfect - angular and stony-faced. It's a no-brainer to me that they'd make Lan kinda hot, because of course he is.

I wouldn't be against facial scars but I don't think that's in the books so idk, I don't see the point. Am I remembering wrong? It would be a lot of work to apply that makeup consistently every time he's on screen, so I can see why they wouldn't go that route.

No scars in books on face.  I just meant something to make him look like a man who has spent his life fighting an unwinnable war.  Some of it is just Henny is pretty like I said.  I will get used to it but I come from a military family.  I know what old soldiers look like.  Hopefully Henny can capture that.

my opinion on a man's "prettyness" is not particularly relevant, because as a straight man i am not equipped to judge; but while some characters (all of them men) described lan as ugly, i never imagined him as such. there is an air to lan. a solidity. lan makes you feel safe. lan makes you feel like you can trust him. I'd be surprised if women did not react to this

I am pretty sure the term "weathered" was used at least once in the description in the books.

Something that always stuck out to me was his piercing blue eyes, his stare, and then later on the chilling blue eyes after the bond was severed.

BUT, I thought he was better in the trailer then I was expecting so all in all I am not too bothered by the casting choice.

If I'm just describing how I pictured Lan, without this being a criticism of the show (matching exact physical appearance is less important than other things almost always), I imagine book-Lan with a bit more physical presence. A bit more broad shouldered and thick set, with a wider jaw.

1 hour ago, Agitel said:

I imagine book-Lan with a bit more physical presence. A bit more broad shouldered and thick set, with a wider jaw.

Yeah. Frankly, Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn was my mental picture of Lan well before Viggo was ever cast as Aragorn.

Edited by Elder_Haman

Ok so I am thinking this is pretty much a me problem.  Daughter sent me a pic of her and her hubby this morning. SMH.  My Korean son-in-law looks way to much like Henney.  I think my brain won't let me picture my innocent, overly nice son-in-law as hardened warder.  

Well at least my grimacing, dark haired nurse daughter won't have to worry about costumes for a few years. They pretty much walk around cos playing Nyn and Lan.

18 hours ago, Guire said:

Ok so I am thinking this is pretty much a me problem.  Daughter sent me a pic of her and her hubby this morning. SMH.  My Korean son-in-law looks way to much like Henney.  I think my brain won't let me picture my innocent, overly nice son-in-law as hardened warder.  

Well at least my grimacing, dark haired nurse daughter won't have to worry about costumes for a few years. They pretty much walk around cos playing Nyn and Lan.

LoL ... Your daughter could do worse than Lan, heh? ?

On 9/4/2021 at 6:48 AM, Guire said:

No scars in books on face.  I just meant something to make him look like a man who has spent his life fighting an unwinnable war.  Some of it is just Henny is pretty like I said.  I will get used to it but I come from a military family.  I know what old soldiers look like.  Hopefully Henny can capture that.

But he has an Aes Sedai to heal his injuries so it makes sense he doesn't have any visible scars. He's been with her for 20 years so any scars he got before (unless REALLY bad) would have faded.

It's okay that he doesn't LOOK like Lan, as long as he acts like Lan, and that will incude stony facial expressions. Daniel Henney is actually about the same age as Lan. And as a woman, I am very happy to have some serious male eye candy.

19 hours ago, Rose said:

This is probably a me thing but I don't actually think Daniel Henney is pretty. He has a rather square face with straight, sharp lines. He's definitely handsome. But pretty? That's not the word I'd use to describe him.

Agreed.  Lack of scars doesn't make him Brad Pitt or Orlando Bloom.

On 9/4/2021 at 10:59 AM, Guire said:

I get making changes but man I wanted the craggy soldier Lan.  At least they could give him some facial scars or something.

I wanted the craggy soldier Lan too. I really wanted Michael Shannon to play him! He's got the height, the cold hard eyes, and the ugly-yet-still-attractive-somehow face ?

9 minutes ago, Seaine's eyebrows said:

I wanted the craggy soldier Lan too. I really wanted Michael Shannon to play him! He's got the height, the cold hard eyes, and the ugly-yet-still-attractive-somehow face ?

I could see that after his role in Man of Steel.  Pretty sure strong consideration was given for age gap with Nyn.  Henney is 40 but doesn't look it.  Most of actors I initially liked look more 50.  Coming around to Henney though.  

3 minutes ago, Guire said:

I could see that after his role in Man of Steel.  Pretty sure strong consideration was given for age gap with Nyn.  Henney is 40 but doesn't look it.  Most of actors I initially liked look more 50.  Coming around to Henney though.  

Agreed, and a craggy Lan with a young Nynaeve was probably never going to happen ? at least Moiraine looks so different from the books that a prettier Lan fits in a way.