DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Teaser Trailer Pros and Cons?

templar7

6 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Wasn't excited either to be honest. I wonder though how much of my lack of interest is due to the dumpster fire that was the last season of GoT.

Let’s put our artillery in front of our walls, and use our cavalry in a frontal assault in the middle of the night instead of as a support unit after contact is made. Haha I wonder what Mat would have said if he saw that battle unfold. 

1 hour ago, JaimAybara said:

Let’s put our artillery in front of our walls, and use our cavalry in a frontal assault in the middle of the night instead of as a support unit after contact is made. Haha I wonder what Mat would have said if he saw that battle unfold. 

Ha!  Or in LotR when the Rohan cavalry forms a nice pretty line to attack the Oliphants.  Just why?

9 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

I never cared to put myself mentally in their world.

Throughout my life I have always imagined myself in those worlds. I have lived beneath the golden canopy of Lothlorien. I boldly went where no one has gone before, and I also did it in a galaxy far far away. I traveled back to the future in a DeLorian DMC-12, and came back after an Excellent Adventure. I visited Avalon and even once rode a Luck Dragon to the Ivory Tower. I learned magic as a student in Slytherin and then wearing my trademark Green I was there during Tarmon Gai'don.

I never once saw myself anywhere in GoT. 

This is so well put, and I completely agree!

It could be because you stood a 99.9% chance of not only dying, but dying horribly in GoT.

Then, none of the cultures were something I would hold in any kind of esteem or want to be part of.

14 hours ago, Beidomon said:

To be fair, HBO didn’t really need to do a lot here because everyone is already familiar with the franchise. But the casting, wardrobe, and cinematography already look better. I know I’m used to GOT so I’m biased, but that my impression currently. 

Nah, no bias. GoT would beat WoJ hands down if they were both nominated for awards in those categories.

I watched all of GOT and was a big fan up until season 5 (like most everyone else). I have been looking forward to the prequel, cause I thought it would bring a new take on a good series. I did not even finish watching the GOT teaser. Even those 90 seconds were 30 too many for me. I just saw it and thought "Oh, this again". Also, the white dreadlocks look like cheap sci fi wigs from 20 years ago. 

I think that WOT is better because it is vibrant and shows both happy times and dark times. Because WOT is not GOT, and that is that. I am very happy that it is not going grimdark and trying to be GOT, even though that vibrancy is giving some people YA vibes. 

14 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

Because I would classify GoT as low fantasy up until the point the Dragons are introduced. Then it middles in no-mans land. Occasionally stepping into magic but mostly avoiding it like the plague. 

One can even say their dragons are steeped in more of a mythical beast system as opposed to more "magical" dragons (See Dragonheart, AD&D, et al) 

So I would say it isn't in the same fantasy "Class" as WoT. As WoT isnt in the same class at LotR (High fantasy) 

Yeah, I agree that even though the show tried to lean away from fantasy, most of the source is low fantasy to begin with. My point is though that because GoT doesn't require as much CGI as WoT would, WoT's budget would have to be significantly larger than that of GoT to maintain the same production values across the board.

As a thought experiment let's say I give you $10 million for a theoretical battle episode:

GoT: 

-actors

-extras

-costumes

-props

-etc etc

-CGI dragon, one scene, 30 seconds total

-CGI cityscape, 10 minutes total 

WoT:

-actors

-extras

-costumes

-props

-etc etc

-CGI Channeling, most scenes, 5 minutes total

-CGI Wolves, multiple scenes, 10 seconds total

-CGI Mist, 1 minute total

-CGI Dark Hounds, 1 minute total

-CGI Dreamworld, 10 minutes total

-CGI cityscape, 10 minute total

-CGI Fades, 30 seconds total

Etc etc etc, you get the idea.

My point is, with the same budget, you'd have to make cuts somewhere. That's why I don't think GoT's budget is a good bar for the Wheel of Time show. If anything, if the budget isn't significantly more than that, I think it would tell us that the scope and scale of the show would be smaller in comparison, or that the quality in certain areas would be less.

Edited by TheMountain

• Community Administrator
8 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Check out the new pics and tell me if you have the same opinion...

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

My only problem with the clothing was that the Two Rivers' hayseeds looked dressed just as well as Moiraine and Lan.

You know, I think there's a misconception that Rural = Poor, and don't take care of themselves, and have low quality - everything.

Two Rivers main exports are Wool & Tabac. The books mainly described their clothing as "Stiff 2 rivers wool", the clothing is generally "Conservatively" cut, in that cleavage and skin isn't shown off. 

The clothing shouldn't look like Silk, but there's no reason it can't look nice. Specially if they packed their "Sunday best". ?

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

You know, I think there's a misconception that Rural = Poor, and don't take care of themselves, and have low quality - everything.

Two Rivers main exports are Wool & Tabac. The books mainly described their clothing as "Stiff 2 rivers wool", the clothing is generally "Conservatively" cut, in that cleavage and skin isn't shown off. 

The clothing shouldn't look like Silk, but there's no reason it can't look nice. Specially if they packed their "Sunday best". ?

Believe it was described as 'stout'.

But the wool is basically all they should be wearing.  Moiraine and Lan should have access to linens and silks and wools in a much finer weave.  Not saying the Two River's gang should be slovenly but they shouldn't compare to 'rich' outlanders.  They all look they shopped at the same store.

15 hours ago, TheMountain said:

Wasn't excited either to be honest. I wonder though how much of my lack of interest is due to the dumpster fire that was the last season of GoT.

I hated the end result of GoT, but they're working from good, complete material and it's not D&D, and I blame D&D and not HBO for what happened.

Con: I'm sick and tired of some fans whining on social media about Rand not being the main focus on season 1. Just let it go and understand the reasons for this change. Triggered. ?

Con: Fans whining about Barney on every official social media post. Just let it go. ?

Edited by DaddyFinn