DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Setting up RPG site. How can I do it?

Robert Laurel

• 3 weeks later...

That depends on what you want to do.

I've been part of forum RPG's that are played out on a forum (much like this one). But I have also roleplayed through email and on sites that run on other software than a forum.

What is your goal? Do you have a group of players already? Are you starting out? Have you ever join an RPG site?

And also: what is your experience and skill level with running a site on the technical side?

Proboards is still around: you can sign up an create a free forum to start out. You need very little technical skills.

https://www.proboards.com/

Another option is Forumotion. This is also a place where you can create a free forum and start out.

https://www.forumotion.com/

It will be a lot of work! People don't just find forums anymore. What you could do, is create a group on Facebook, or start a Twitter account, or an Insta account, to support and show off your forum. You will need to work very hard to get people to sign up. That means providing a lot of content yourself, so that people will want to interact.

But it can be done ?

Dragonmount is (i believe) self-hosted on servers that Jason runs. The forum software alone is roughly 200$+ whatever upgrades and hosting costs in addition to. That is why the forum has ads to help compensate the cost. 

Running online forum, or any system, is a pricy thing. In addition to the costs it also takes time to build the structure, the background for the RP story you are hosting, and then if you want to go beyond the default things, having someone make it pretty.

I personally use Jcink.net for my needs, because having to update forums with self-hosting is a PITA, so for new or experienced I will always point to something that is not self hosted. There are lots of resources through tumblr if you search Jcink there. 

I have spent years building RP structures under multiple genre's and it takes a lot of trial and error to find what works for you and your players. If this is something you are seriously interested in running, I recommend looking for players in your immediate circle and see if they want to share in the experience. A site started with just one person who is interesting in contributing never succeeds. So, start by finding a team of interested people and go from there. ?

• Community Administrator
2 minutes ago, Arie said:

Dragonmount is (i believe) self-hosted on servers that Jason runs. The forum software alone is roughly 200$+ whatever upgrades and hosting costs in addition to. That is why the forum has ads to help compensate the cost. 

Running online forum, or any system, is a pricy thing. In addition to the costs it also takes time to build the structure, the background for the RP story you are hosting, and then if you want to go beyond the default things, having someone make it pretty.

I personally use Jcink.net for my needs, because having to update forums with self-hosting is a PITA, so for new or experienced I will always point to something that is not self hosted. There are lots of resources through tumblr if you search Jcink there. 

I have spent years building RP structures under multiple genre's and it takes a lot of trial and error to find what works for you and your players. If this is something you are seriously interested in running, I recommend looking for players in your immediate circle and see if they want to share in the experience. A site started with just one person who is interesting in contributing never succeeds. So, start by finding a team of interested people and go from there. ?

I'd personally recommend starting a Discord Server. 
Free, Easy, and likely to be around longer then web forums.