DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is there a new prologue in The Eye of the World?

I am currently re-reading The Eye of the World for the first time in 30 years.  Before the well remembered prologue with Lews Therin, there is a chapter with Egwene's POV from when she was 9yo.  I don't remember this at all and I don't see it listed here on the site or on WOT

When was this added to the book?  Or is my memory that bad? 

• Community Administrator
8 hours ago, Ghost of Cicero said:

I am currently re-reading The Eye of the World for the first time in 30 years.  Before the well remembered prologue with Lews Therin, there is a chapter with Egwene's POV from when she was 9yo.  I don't remember this at all and I don't see it listed here on the site or on WOT

Around 2002 they split the Eye of the World into two books, "From the Two Rivers" and "To the Blight" marketed to YA readers. This included a new Prologue titled "Ravens".
https://www.tor.com/2014/08/26/the-wheel-of-time-reread-redux-from-the-two-rivers/

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2021 at 1:13 AM, Ghost of Cicero said:

I just noticed this. Interestingly, the Ravens prologue is available when I read Eye of the World on the Nook app on my phone, but it does not appear when I open the book on the Nook reader itself. Very odd. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 10:13 PM, Ghost of Cicero said:

Yes.... you are absolutely correct! There is a new chapter before the official prologue that has been inserted into the new version of the paperback of Eye of the World. The newest version with the cover advertising the new show on Amazon Prime. 

I have not read the entire series yet. I read the first 3 book years ago and still have my old copy of EoyW. My old copy was tattered so I got the new paperback and instantly noticed the new chapter. I wanted to finally read the entire series before watching the bastardized tv show. I saw the new chapter and instantly compared it to the old version. I was like WTF!!! Where did this come from and who really wrote this!!!!!!!!????!!!!! 

I think this is really wrong! Robert Jordan did not write this this way. I don't know if this is a chapter from new spring meant to give a little more detail to the beginning of the story or if it's written by some hack trying to make the original better but whatever it is its WRONG!!! If I were Jordan my ghost would be pissed. And there is not a single mention of any new or expanded content in this new edition anywhere on the cover. I actually refuse to read the new version and I'm reading my old copy. Who knows what else they decided to change. 

So..... your not crazy! Your memory is fine and it's not the Mandela effect.  They completely added this and tried to sneak it in without any reason why. 

Oh... I am reading the newest version of the paperback they are selling promoting the new show on amazon. This is the entire book and it's not split into two. 

I want to know who actually wrote this. I still have not read it. I refuse! If it didnt come from Jordan or Sanderson it's not really part of WoT. IF i read it it will be when I'm completely finished with the entire, true version of this story and not before. 

Edited by James1111
Added more to post

Probably one of those things RJ decided not to put in, to me seems like adding a child's view to growing up in the Two Rivers would of added nothing  of real value for the reader so he kept it out.  Then when it got split into two books was added back as a little filler and a way to add something new to encourage people to buy.  I always felt like splitting the books up was more of a money grab so the series could be re-released.