DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

DM News:JordanCon Charity Auction Quilt

Mashiara Sedai

• Community Administrator

In 2019, a group project was put forward in the JordanCon Costumers Facebook group.  The idea--suggested by Christine Wessling--was to create a quilt.  Each block of the quilt would represent one of the books with The Wheel of Time, and each block would be created by a different crafter.  The idea was quickly embraced by many in the group and the books were snagged!

Here are the details from JordanCon:

On May 2, 2019 Christine Wessling posted in the JordanCon Costumers Facebook group asking if there was an interest in doing a group quilt for the Charity auction. She had experience with similar projects and wanted to give back to JordanCon after being embraced by the Con’s people. Within hours there was a flood of comments and interest.  Three days later Christine and Natalie Gehling had developed a plan for the quilt.  Each block was to be a book cover using the Tall Tales Quilt Block, but enlarged by 100%. By the end of the following week, all the blocks had been claimed by a JordanCon enthusiast and Joy Allen had agreed to take on the dauting task of quilting the blanket together.

All blocks were turned in by December 31, 2019 so the quilt could be ready for the April 2020 convention.  Some blocks were claimed by new people as life hit others. Thankfully all the books were claimed, and a piece was finished for each in time. Then 2020 hit everyone. Allen had finished the quilt, but it was decided the quilt should be held for the 2021 convention when more of the participants would have a chance of seeing the finished work in-person.

Now everyone can enjoy seeing the finished quilt as a preview prior to the July convention.  The makers hope many people will appreciate the work put into creating the piece. It was a labor of love by many different people.

Good luck to the winner of the Wheel of Time quilt auction!  May it bring you much joy and comfort as you read many books curled up under the quilt.
The bidding will be on Friday and Saturday of JordanCon 2021.

Note on the care of the quilt: Machine wash cold, delicate cycle. Line or lay flat to dry. DO NOT put this in a dryer!!

I feel so fortunate that I was able to contribute to this project!  I knew I wanted to make my love of Lan and Nynaeve apparent, so I picked Knife of Dreams.  There are so many wonderful Lan and Nynaeve moments--when Nynaeve breaks her block, her first confession to him in The Eye of the World, Lan giving her his ring and her Accepted testing in The Great Hunt--but the ultimate has to be Nynaeve's trek through the borderlands gathering her husband an army.  "The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai'don!" is the best line of the book.  I tried to capture that theme with a golden crane, crown, and lance on a field of blue.

I envy the lucky winner of this quilt!  It will be an amazing addition to any fan's collection!

You can read more from each of the contributors on JordanCon's website.

View full news item