DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is 6 episodes going to be able to do books justice

nath

Anyone slightly concerned about only 6 episodes length for series 1? The fact that they are using 1-3 books per season makes me even more nervous.......While 100% things need to be edited and condensed and I am not saying we should have a 14 year TV series. But condensing a full season to 6 episodes doesnt seem enough time to explore things properly...... even cutting out the Seanchan completely and whatever.....GoT condensing the last season to 6 is a good example of what happens of trying to squeeze too much into too few episodes. I suppose I always assumed it would be 10 episodes and combing two books per season. Still super excited but slightly worried about season length doing the world justice. 

• Community Administrator

As far as everyone knew until a poorly written article said otherwise, there were a total of 8 episodes, 6 of which were named.

The first 6 episodes were completely filmed when the pandemic shut production down. The final two episodes of the season were later filmed in 2021.

https://dragonmount.com/tv/index/

https://nerdist.com/article/wheel-of-time-tv-series-everything-we-know/

1 hour ago, nath said:

he fact that they are using 1-3 books per season makes me even more nervous.....

And... where did you hear this? Nothing about that is remotely confirmed, even the episode titles don't really support that.

Maybe later out they can combine 3 books per season,  If there are only 8 episodes and if each episode is 1 hour there is no way they can go to book 3 in the first season.  Even trying to get book 2 would be rushing it.  Later on they could easily combine multiple books into a season,

Honestly, 50% of the content of the books is pretty much meaningless to the story/plot and only describes the scenery and clothing ? 

Imo it makes sense to compress the story a bit. The way it is in the books, is a bit long winded and it would not fit the tv show format.

I am accepting that this is an adaptation that will try to be true to the spirit of the books but may see some significant restructuring. I'm approaching this more free than I approached the ASOIAF adaptation.

There's 14 books. There will not be 14 seasons. And their are hundreds of characters. And they will be cut and condensed. And they'll need to be introduced and developed in a way that works for a TV format and actor's schedules.

Edited by Agitel

Book 7 on can really be condensed, yes even i nthe first few books there is alot of fluff.  But I just think it will go too fast if the first season goes from finding Rand to Falme. 8 episodes just isn't alot of time, if they made an episode 2 hours it would help.   I would rather it go a bit slow for the first couple of books and then pick the pace up.  My guess is it will be like GOT so maybe 8 seasons at the most.  But to do it justice I would think you will need at least 6 seasons.

On 7/13/2021 at 12:38 PM, Sabio said:

Book 7 on can really be condensed, yes even i nthe first few books there is alot of fluff.  But I just think it will go too fast if the first season goes from finding Rand to Falme. 8 episodes just isn't alot of time, if they made an episode 2 hours it would help.   I would rather it go a bit slow for the first couple of books and then pick the pace up.  My guess is it will be like GOT so maybe 8 seasons at the most.  But to do it justice I would think you will need at least 6 seasons.

I think 6 is the bare minimum and you'd hope for 8 or 9. It would help if some seasons were 10 or 12 episodes long instead of 8. And it will also help if they keep the runtime close to an hour per episode.