DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Oath Rod

• Community Administrator
21 hours ago, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

Does anyone know why the Oath Rod caps lifespans at 300? Not sure why, and none of the books I can find say why. If anyone remembers any interviews with RJ or BS, that would be great. Thanks.

I don't know if there's any reason "why" they reduce a channelers life span by "half", but during the Age of Legends they were used on "criminals", to "Bind" & prevent them from using the One Power in the wrong way. This was seen as preferable to "severing".

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

I don't know if there's any reason "why" they reduce a channelers life span by "half", but during the Age of Legends they were used on "criminals", to "Bind" & prevent them from using the One Power in the wrong way. This was seen as preferable to "severing".

Yeah, I don’t know why either, which is a problem, because it could either prove for sure, or disprove a big theory I have about time. I was just curious if anybody knew anything more about it. 

2 hours ago, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

Yeah, I don’t know why either, which is a problem, because it could either prove for sure, or disprove a big theory I have about time. I was just curious if anybody knew anything more about it. 

Let's hear that theory?

According to the companion Oath Rods could be used on non channelers. They weren't necessarily used to stop you from channeling just to prevent you from commiting your crime again and to also make you possibly spend the rest of your life, if necessary making restitution.  They were used on the worst criminals those incorrigibly violent, because of personality flaws, or madness.  The older one was when bound the more it restricted.  It was considered the death penalty since it was going to cut your life short.  A forsaken strength channeler could live to 800 but with the oath rod it was around 300 so it could really cut your life short.  Sadly RJ didn't leave much explaining why it cut ones life short.

8 hours ago, Sabio said:

According to the companion Oath Rods could be used on non channelers.

Just checked my companion, and yep it does say that. Goes to show that ya just can't trust everything in the WoT Wikia. ? 

5 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Just checked my companion, and yep it does say that. Goes to show that ya just can't trust everything in the WoT Wikia. ? 

Yeah, you can't. Kind of sad, really. 

14 hours ago, Sabio said:

According to the companion Oath Rods could be used on non channelers. They weren't necessarily used to stop you from channeling just to prevent you from commiting your crime again and to also make you possibly spend the rest of your life, if necessary making restitution.  They were used on the worst criminals those incorrigibly violent, because of personality flaws, or madness.  The older one was when bound the more it restricted.  It was considered the death penalty since it was going to cut your life short.  A forsaken strength channeler could live to 800 but with the oath rod it was around 300 so it could really cut your life short.  Sadly RJ didn't leave much explaining why it cut ones life short.

Thanks for all the info. It really is a shame that RJ died before he could finish the series. There's so much we aren't going to know, now. 

What really amazes me is when you look at the Companion is how much detail and information RJ had for the series.  Yet you discover some stuff seems oddly left out like why the Oath Rod limits a persons life.  You would think that since he came up with that he would of put something down as to why.