DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Readers - Book by Book Discussion the First Time Through

Dajokr

Hi all,

Just finished Eye of the World - I've had this series on my "to read" list for thirty years and I'm finally doing it!

I was watching a spoiler free review of the series (Merphy Napier) and she made an excellent point that readers who worked through the series as it came out got the benefit of discussing and theorizing during the wait between books, which only serves to enhance the experience of reading any series, and must be so with one that is so in depth and complex.  I remember doing the same with other series (e.g., Harry Potter).

Does anyone know of a thread or a site where there are book by book discussions, ones which avoid spoilers for future volumes? 

• Community Administrator
22 minutes ago, Dajokr said:

Hi all,

Just finished Eye of the World - I've had this series on my "to read" list for thirty years and I'm finally doing it!

I was watching a spoiler free review of the series (Merphy Napier) and she made an excellent point that readers who worked through the series as it came out got the benefit of discussing and theorizing during the wait between books, which only serves to enhance the experience of reading any series, and must be so with one that is so in depth and complex.  I remember doing the same with other series (e.g., Harry Potter).

Does anyone know of a thread or a site where there are book by book discussions, ones which avoid spoilers for future volumes? 

DM used to have a Structured Wheel of Time Discussion forum, which was supposed to be spoiler free within the context of the post.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160316191004/http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/forum/85-structured-wheel-of-time-discussion/

If you would like to discuss the Eye of the World without future spoilers, feel free to start a thread here with (No Spoilers) in the title, and I and the other mods can make sure it stays spoiler free to the best of our abilities.

I'll look into seeing if we can get that structured forum back in some manner.

On 6/10/2021 at 7:49 PM, Dajokr said:

Well done! I hope you enjoyed it ?

If you start a discussion as SD suggested, I'll definitely pop in and join in ?

Reddit's wot sub actually has a decent system for dealing with spoilers.  You tag your post with the book you're at or want to discuss, and for the most part, the users and mods are pretty good about not spoiling things past that.  

There are no guarantees, though, even users with the best intentions sometimes slip up.

It's also worth mentioning, do NOT go googling stuff.  Google is terrible about spoiling character's ultimate fates, when all you wanted was to be reminded of who that S-named Aes Sedai was, or something similar.

Edited by Thrasymachus