DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I am curious what people think are good qualities in a Warder. Loyalty? Bravery? Skill with a sword? Who better to ask than the more experienced Warders themselves? What are qualities you want to have as a Warder? Both on DM and in WoT

The qualities I think a Warder should have are loyalty, bravery, and honesty. Do you agree? Disagree? Let me know!

In both, honesty is something very important to me. How well could fare an Aes Sedai with Warders who wouldn't speak their mind ? Ofc combat skills would be OP (dual swords > everything else) especially in WOT 😋  as well as loyalty to the White Tower.

In DM - but I guess everyone's a bit different - I would look more for banter, and someone who would have the same interests (I just need to geek out sometimes), someone i would feel connected to / is easy to talk to.

What I look for in a Warder is someone who is there for me when I need someone to talk to. There needs to be an element of fun in the relationship, too. I guess I could sum it up by saying I'm looking for a friend. And I definitely value loyalty. 

My first Warder was just a fun relationship. We were Aspies together and we wreaked our share of havoc around the WT. We never really developed a deep friendship in real life, although we are still on Facebook. 

My second Warder relationship was different. He was there for me during a very dark time in my life and we talked on messenger every night for a long time. Our lives have gone in different directions now, but I know the affection we have for each other is still there. 

Neither of them are on DM anymore, btw. 

In Randland, I would say that it's a pyramid built on combat skills, loyalty and honesty. You can't have just one or two of those - you need all three. Obviously there's no point to a Warder if he doesn't have combat skills. And if he's not loyal to his Aes Sedai, again, there's no point to having him. And if he lies to his Aes Sedai, she can't trust him. The whole pyramid would collapse then.

On DM, my personal needs would be for entertainment first. I really do love laughing and having intelligent conversations. Equal to that, someone who I can be myself with, 100%. I was very lucky to have 2 Warders who not only accepted my dark side (not Black, people! But Mama is not a kitten to be handled without gloves), but actually loved it. They are the only 2 people I have ever been able to speak the truth to, fully and without holding back either for fear of rejection or of discomforting them. With that, also came acceptance of myself. I owe them more than I could ever repay.

I think there some basic core value, but beyond that also in randland we see personality comes into it. And in DM i very much think it depends on the same, we are different so different people look for different things... friendship is important I'd say and just getting eachother...and being able to grow togheter and come stronger out of challenges

But it's different for everyone...for me it has not on this side of things been someone at the Right time and space for all factors to align Right...I had several bonds in the RP though..and they all were different and unique in their own way.

I'm not a Warder, but this is the path I would like to follow here on DM, so this is a very interesting topic 🙂

In WoT I put at first place combat skills, because of course without them he can be a friend, a help, a lover, anything else you want but not a Warder. He also has to be 100 % loyal to his Aes Sedai and follow her without asking. A Warder never asks his Aes Sedai why she does something and he really doesn't care if she is with Elaida's White Tower or the Rebel, if she is for the Dragon Roborn or against the Dragon Reborn.

His Aes Sedai knows what she does, the Warder knows how to protect her.

Going this way I'm not sure about honesty.

In DM of course is totally different. For what I see as an inexperienced member, a Warder is supposed to be a person who asks, who talks, who shares interests and most of all part of his/her time with his/her Aes Sedai, but also other people. Sometimes can be to laugh together, to make a joke or to talk about something serious, also when we, but maybe I have to say most of all when, we have different opinions about something.

I think a good warder does care what their AS does...in private, it's near impossible to protect someone and make sure they are safe without...and we see plenty of private interactions where they discuss things...beeing a sounding board is a good thing. And there is a reason AS more then once kept secrets from their warders because they knew they would object. 

It's just a time and a place to ask those questions 😉 None of the best warders we got to know behind scenes were mellow, they would be silent in public...but they all had their discussions if you like in private with their AS.

On 6/6/2021 at 8:37 PM, Liitha said:

It's just a time and a place to ask those questions 😉 None of the best warders we got to know behind scenes were mellow, they would be silent in public...but they all had their discussions if you like in private with their AS.

Yes this is ebasically what I mean (maybe I haven't explained myself in the right way, but I'm not english/american, so I justify myself 😉 )

What we can see, in public (after 8 books) is that a warder normally doesn't want to contradict his Aes Sedai. In private, as you say, well, it's another story, even if I think the last word is always from the AS.