DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Query re: different editions of the books - spoilers from the whole series on black ajah

PRH

Hi all!

I suspect that I am just going a bit crazy, but feel the need to ask and confirm.

I first read WOT as it was released and generally had the hardback on reserve on opening day (well at least after the first few). I re-read up to that new book each time one came out, but since the series finished I haven't read it for several years. I decided recently to read the whole series again, and got on Kindle as I had had to get rid of my previous book collection when I left South Africa.

I want to ask if there were any changes in the books between editions?  I was expecting certain things as I was reading that didn't happen. I really thought originally Vandene had turned out to be black ajah, had killed her sister and then suffered from extreme guilt, and had also admitted to other things (like shielding the draghkar from Moiraine; letting in trollocs to Emonds Field etc.).  Obviously this doesn't happen in the books. Then I thought maybe my memory had gone wrong and I was thinking of Verin not Vandene - but Verin never claims to have done these things.  I'm sure there were a couple of other things, but I can't recall them now. I may even re-read again soon.

Please let me know if I utterly imagined the above, or if I read it on some fan fiction or something, or if there were ever any different editions when the books were first released.  It may preserve my sanity if you do!

Thanks

A forgetful imaginative fan

Hello PRH formerly from South Africa! I'm from Cape Town (and still living there - which part of SA are you from?)

Anyhoo, yeah I think you might be getting a bit confused. I've read these books from when they were first published, and the older ones up to 30 times (yeah I'm obsessed), and that never happened. Vandene was grief-stricken, not guilt-stricken by the death of her sister. She later avenged her. There was a Black Ajah member with them. Another one also shielded the Dragkar, but again it wasn't Vandene. The Trollocs weren't let into Emonds Field by the Black Ajah, as far as I can recall. I don't want to give away too much info here (spoiler alert).

Thanks so much for getting back to me!  Well it proves I have an overdeveloped imagination then. I do wonder if I read fan fiction at some point and made it canon in the back of my mind. I was still waiting for some kind of additional reveal even as I re-read I was so convinced that info was going to appear.  At least I can let go of the issue.

I lived near what was Nelspruit for a number of years, getting the new releases from Exclusive books I seem to recall!

Man, everyone lives on the other side of the country from me! My Koeksussie came from that area too, if I recall correctly.

I got mine from Exclusive books too ?

So anyhoo, I hope you'll stick around here and join in - there are lots of areas to explore. There's the book discussions, obviously, but also Role Playing and then the Social Side, where we pretend we're really Aes Sedai or Wolfkin or Aiel ?

Naah we're not quite that crazy (shut up, we are!) but we like to hang out in a social setting with other people who also love the WoT.

I'd love to get over to Cape Town though!  Never did get that side!  We nearly did once, but ended up going to Namibia instead. 

Thanks, I will have a look around and see what you all get up to ? I see that there is a TV show coming up too, so that'll be interesting.  I may re-read a little more slower, as I did at lightning pace this time.

Thanks again ?

It's a pleasure! If you pop in by the White Tower & Warders Social group, remind me of who you are ?

Two of my sisters just came back from a short, aborted trip to Namibia. They were flooded out!

We're mostly extremely excited about the upcoming show.