DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Seanchan Culture discussion

What are your opinions on the Seanchan culture? Could you live under it? What would some of the pros and cons be? Let me know what you think!

I absolutely could not live under the Seanchan. I hate, hate, hate the way they treat channelers. Making them into weapons in war and pets in peace? It's horrible. The Asha'man were weapons, but they were not leashed. They had the opportunity to volunteer. The damane do not. They believe they should be collared, used as weapons and treated like a pet. It's sickening. 

The Seanchan might be horrible in their treatment of channelers, but you have to admit they are well organized. Their military is exceptional, and if they lose a battle, their generals sit down, figure out what went wrong, and never repeat that mistake. The people they conquer live in safety, provided they are not channelers, and are well cared for.

With that said however, the Seanchan force you to swear an oath to them, or you will be executed. They have Listeners everywhere, so you have to always mind what you say, and they are very dismissive of others culture. The idea of so'jhin, and da'covale is horrible. No one should be born into slavery, and forced to dress a certain way, or live a certain way. Even the children of the Empress live their lives horribly. They are constantly forced to backstab each other, and compete for power. They are trained to watch for assassins at all times, and often attempts are made on their lives. 

I hate the Seanchan and their treatment of people they consider "lesser". It is horrible, and no one should be leashed for something they cannot control, or born into slavery. It is wrong in so many ways. 

I personally don't feel i could live under the Seanchan, at least not with who I am now and what I've been through.

I'm huge for freedom and equality on all parts, which really goes against the Seanchan ?

In the past, I think I could have been okay being either da'covale, or part of the blood. I think I could have found peace in having some choices taken away from me, it does take blame from yourself when things happen, as you didn't get to make that choice.

Their military though, deserves respect as you said. It's clear that they take pride in it, as it's something, I think, unlike anything else we see in WoT. 

I do also appreciate some of the omens that are embedded in their beliefs. I am a believer of, if it's meant to be it will be, but there are times where certain things happen that you just know something is up in the universe that maybe we don't understand. (For instance, once I was out for a walk, and my mom was at work. My grandpa passed years ago, and birds always remind me of him. So almost at the exact same moment I found a feather, and my mom shared something on FB about lost dad's with a feather. I just truly believe my Grandpa was there with us then, or watching over us).