DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moraine & Lanfear

Verroth

Hello all!

Do you think Moraine destroyed the twisted redstone doorframe on purpose to trap Lanfear with her? She put the ivory bracelet angreal on the cart not only to lure Lanfear, but she may have known it would also destroy the doorframe itself when used inside the doorframe, trapping them both inside.

When Egwene had her test for Accepted we have seen how dangerous would be to just keep her ter'ngreal (twisted stone ring) near the Silver Arches, and here a used one angreal has been put inside the redstone doorframe with them. I believe this led to the fires and total meltdown of the twisted redstone doorframe, not just from Moraine and Lanfear themselves channeling.

I don't know how much she knew about what exactly would cause the destruction of the doorway, but she knew what she had to do, as it was revealed to her at Rhuidean.  It's an interesting hypothesis that it was a reaction with the angreal, or possibly with a ter'angreal that Lanfear might have had on her.  However, Jordan answered this question way back in 2000 in an interview. Basically, it really was just two powerful channellers actively weaving as they passed through the doorway that did it.  How this squares with the fact that Rand was channelling his fire sword as he backed out of the doorway at Tear is something of a mystery, however.

That's a really interesting answer from RJ, thank you for that. Seems plausible, but the angreal reaction hypothesis was making the whole Egwene scene description much more meaningful for future events; maybe it was something he planned in the beginning but then forgot altogether? In that case I see no other importance or intention of that scene from Acceptance trial. There's no other similar action than this with Moraine and Lanfear.

I reckon that "dangerous resonance" between the twisted stone ring and the silver arches was meant to simply demonstrate that the function of the silver arches ter'angreal was related to function of the twisted rings ter'angreal.  Though we didn't come across the concept of "Dreamshards" until later (though they were in fact in use from the very beginning), it seems as though the function of the silver arches is to create Dreamshards that one can enter in the flesh.  And of course, we know that the twisted rings were training tools for Dreamwalkers meant to aid them in entering Tel'aran'Rhiod, until they became proficient enough with it that they didn't need them any longer.