DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chocolate Week 2021: Power of Chocolate (Discussion)

chocolate is powerful. there are many scientific reasons to explain away the effects it seems to have on the human soul. but is there more to it? what is it about chocolate that has fueled such a love affair with humanity?

it's a sign of affection, this dark, sometimes bitter, sometimes sweet confection. but why? is it a reflection on our own emotional experiences? a healing balm? 

let's discuss it all! 

first off, what is chocolate to you? 

Chocolate is a stress reliever and a source of caffeine to me. When I had the flu, I started drinking soda again, and now, when I feel sleepy during the day, I eat some chocolate. That little bit of caffeine really helps. 

i take one square of dark chocolate a day, one because i like it and two it supposedly is good for the heart and health. win win 

i'm pretty well off caffiene as a whole, save chocolate. though caffiene and sugar have the opposite effect on me, they relax me. so i suppose that goes to the stress relief. 

do you find that it does ease your stress?

I think part of the chocolate phenomenon is cultural thing. Thinking about why we associate chocolate with love is really interesting -- I don't really have an answer, actually. Off the top of my head, maybe it's that chocolate used to be really hard to make, so it was a display of commitment -- or, at the very least, resources -- to get some for someone you love? Because if you think about it, chocolate comes from South America, right? So Europe wouldn't have had it until the Columbian exchange, and even then, you have to harvest the beans, then put them through a very elaborate process before you end up with a chocolate bar. Now, we have machines to do it, but maybe back then it was a labor of love. And it's delicious.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, and missing some historical context. Thoughts?

i think you're on the right train piedpiper, though there's also the science behind it stimulating oxytocin, so we're physically conditioned to like it once we've had it. perhaps it's an association with that feeling, us realizing it's how we feel when we love someone and things equated along that line 

On 2/11/2021 at 11:45 PM, JamesBrown said:

I eat it because it tastes good.

I'm just a simple country boy...

I must be your cousin then *grins*