DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Can a Malkieri man remove the hadori?

I was wondering if a Malkieri man could take off the hadori, however temporarily. I imagine that if the ki'sain was washed off unintentionally somehow, the woman who wore it would still be a woman. But how about Malkeri men? If they lose the hadori, or have it removed, perhaps forcefully, or even just to wash their face, what happens? Is it taboo for a Malkieri man to have his forehead bare? If not, how long and in what circumstances is he allowed to remove it? This has never been touched on in the books (to my knowledge at least). Did Robert Jordan or Brandon Sanderson ever mention it?

7 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I imagine it is just like jewelry, though with much more significance. That leather would soak up lots of skin oil, salt, dirt and would have to be cleaned or replaced on occasion. 

That sounds very plausible. I wonder then if it’s like the Mandalorian’s helmet? Where a man can’t be seen without it?

Nynaeve points out that it's the sign of a personal commitment to fight the Shadow. I expect there would be men who wouldn't wear it, though they would not be many, and even Darkfriends would wear it to blend in. Though in the southlands, it's become interpreted as a warning: "Treat with respect. This man may be volatile".

I doubt Malkieri would've slept with hadori on, except on active duty in the field.

15 hours ago, Kalessin said:

Nynaeve points out that it's the sign of a personal commitment to fight the Shadow. I expect there would be men who wouldn't wear it, though they would not be many, and even Darkfriends would wear it to blend in. Though in the southlands, it's become interpreted as a warning: "Treat with respect. This man may be volatile".

I doubt Malkieri would've slept with hadori on, except on active duty in the field.

Now that is very interesting! I could see that happening. There are certainly Malkieri men who have less respect for the customs *cough* Ryne *cough*. I wonder if Lan ever takes his off, and if he does, if it’s weird for everyone. I’m thinking he would take it off in front of Nynaeve but nobody else except maybe Moiraine pre Fires of Heaven. 

I wonder if the hadori has more importance to Lan, or just a stronger bind on him because he would have no one to give it to him if something were to happen to it. I imagine Bukama gave the hadori to Lan originally, but since Lan is the Aan’allien or Man Alone, I wonder if he lost it and it had to be given back, who would do it?