DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

frozenfilms.gif

When dealing with frozen things, or frozen people, there are lots of movies that cover these topics.  They include all genres and all ages.  Let's take a look at some of the most well-known.  Be sure to add in ones you've loved (or even ones you've hated).

1. Frozen (2013) & Frozen 2 (2019)

We can't have a Frozen Carnival without talking about Disney's Frozen movies!  I saw Frozen with my sister in theaters.  I'm older than her, and we both immediately identified with our respective Frozen sibling.  Naturally, when Frozen 2 came out, we were first in line to see it!

I really appreciate Elsa as a character for the growth and confidence she portrays.  Despite all the over-hype of the song "Let it Go," there's a powerful message in there, one I really could have used as a child.  I love how she finally embraces who she is and stops hiding.

This goes even further in Frozen 2.  When Elsa sings "Show Yourself," I cry every time!  SPOILER WARNING: she discovers the things she's been looking for in life are within herself.  A very common theme in children's movies, but it was so powerful seeing Elsa's transformation.

2. The Cutting Edge (1992)

Romance at it's best--including 80s-style montages!  The Cutting Edge was my dream romance when I was younger.  Kate is a figure skater who is difficult to work with.  I've always identified with stubborn women.  Doug, an injured hockey player, becomes her skating partner in a last effort to save his own skating career.  It's a slow burn, and there's lots of obstacles in their way, but they'll prove their love and maybe win an Olympic gold metal on the way.

Why do I love this film?  SPOILER WARNING: Doug's desperate love confession at the end is everything!  They both give into their passion for each other, and their passion for skating, and they are able to show their feelings on the ice.  (This is similar to how emotions are shown in the wonderful anime Yuri on Ice. ❤️)  I love this idea because, to quote Bender from Futurama, "I often have thoughts and feelings that can only be expressed through dance."

3. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

The scenes on Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back are amazing!  I love the comradery between Luke and Han.  I love the angry flirtation between Leia and Han.  I just love Han.  Don't forget, this movie also has the "I love you, I know," bit.

Have some to add to the list?

I love all those! As an 80s kid I love the original Star Wars over them all and my all time fav is The Empire Strikes Back!

I would add The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause .

993025915-Santa_Clause_3__Jack_Frost_by_

Martin Short is my most favorite Jack Frost ever!

oooo the cutting edge. i've missed that movie. watched it all the time. 

also, cool runnings

Cool Runnings Review | Movie - Empire

I've seen The Santa Clause, but not the sequels.  I'll need to check them out!

Cool Runnings!  I loved that when I was young!  That's a great example (and not even on my list)!

Speaking of Jack Frost, we have the lovely Rise of the Guardians (2012), starring Chris Pine as Jack Frost.  This animated film is so much fun!

Moving onto something a bit more serious, there's a documentary called My Winnipeg (2007) that's worth a watch.  It's a surreal film about living in Winnipeg, and it's recounted by the filmmaker (Guy Maddin) in a very bizarre way.  He tells about the history of the town, and his own family's history.  

And let's not forget Batman & Robin (1997) in which the villain (or one of them, anyway) is Mr. Freeze.  Gotham looks less creepy when it's covered in ice.

2 hours ago, Cross said:

or the ultimate frozen movie: The Day After Tomorrow

That one’s perfect! That really is the ultimate frozen movie!