DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I think Nynaeve is arguably the second most important character in the series, here's why:

1. Saved Egwene (future Amyrlin) from the Seanchan. 
  2. The first in the series to use balefire.
  3. Bests Moghedien in Tanchico. retrieves male Adam, and seal. from out from under Lindrin's nose.
  4. Captures Moghedien.
  5. Instrumental in killing Rahvin.
  6. Heals Stilling. 
  7. Beats block, marries Lan, uses bowl of winds, and saves Kin and Wind Finders from Seanchan.
  8. Cleanses Taint. Rand was channeling Saidin, but was passing it through Nynaeve' s Saidar filter.
  9. Heals madness caused by taint.
  10. Saves Rand in Bandar Eban
  11. Keeps Rand's head from swelling to much.
  12. Removes Compulsion.

All while being an Accepted! In the ring ceremony, the Aes Sedai hesitated to give her the ring. Claiming she was not worthy. She should have listed these achievements, and told them where they could stick their ring. then she should have gone to Myreille and taken Lan from her.

Lest I forget, through the use of her herbs on Alanna, SAVED THE  WORLD!

Making her second only to Rand, the most important character in the books. 

Your thoughts?

Absolutely (and neat summary ☺️). There's no doubt she's an incredibly pivotal character, and the storyline would have been lost without her - would Rand even have [spoiler] cleared OR survived the madness of the taint[/spoiler] without her, for example? 🤔

I think the first time Moraine used it was on the Darkhounds. Nynaeve used it on the Fades in the brigands camp. on their way to Tear. Chronologically I think its about the same time frame, as they all seem to get to tear at about the same time. I can't think of an earlier incident of it being used. It has been a while since I read the books.

Edited by loudbeak
1 hour ago, loudbeak said:

I think the first time Moraine used it was on the Darkhounds. Nynaeve used it on the Fades in the brigands camp. on their way to Tear. Chronologically I think its about the same time frame, as they all seem to get to tear at about the same time. I can't think of an earlier incident of it being used. It has been a while since I read the books.

From what I recollect, Moiraine's first use in the main novels was on the Darkhouds, but I also don't even remember the first time Nyneave used it. Memories are fun that way.. 

I'm currently rereading TDR and should be getting to that point pretty soon in the next few days, so I'll keep an eye out for it. 😉

God I don't want to start the books again they are so all consuming. they push everything else out of  the way. and there is so much good stuff out there to read. I think I've read the first six books more than ten times each, the rest less often but at least four to five. I started this addiction in the mid 90s.

Probably her number one rival would be Egwene

1/Doesn’t give in to the Seanchan during her time as a Damane.

2/First AS Dreamer in 473 years.

3/Is seen by the Aiel as one of them following her time as a Wise One Apprentice.

4/Broke out of an illusion Orchestrated by Moghedien

5/Is raised to the Amyrlin Seat while still an accepted.

6/Rediscovers Travelling

7/Refuses to bend to Elaida despite everything Elaida does to break her gaining huge respect amongst many of the AS in the Tower.

8/Leads the Counter Attack that drove the Seanchan forces out of the Tower

9/Successfully re-unifies the Tower

10/Defeated Mesaana and a number of Black Ajah in the Tower

11/Defeats Taim and then destroys the Sharans by releasing the Flame of Tar Valon, ending her own life in a great sacrifice. 

1 hour ago, Thrasymachus said:

Nah.  She's clearly #3.  Rand is a bit more important than her, it's almost negligible, really, but still there.  But nobody can beat the obvious #1.  Bela.

But don’t forget as all true WOT fans believe,

Bella was the Creator in Disguise 🐎😉

Egwene achievements are impressive, but still doesn't beat healing Stilling. (unheard of in the age of legends) Nor do they compare to healing taint madness, and cleansing the taint.

Bella doesn't count she's the Creator. (Insurmountable advantage)

I read the story up to book 6 to my kids in the 90s. At that time that was as far as they went. That's when I first asked that question. "Do you think Bella's the creator?"