DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New to the Wheel

Reyr

Hello my new friends,

I stumbled upon Dragonmount in my search for nerdom. I'm a 34 year old cis-gendered gay male who just hit the halfway point of book 4 (The Shadow Rising). In my search for people to discuss events and discover more of the world as I learn about it all for the first time. Any tips or pointers on what to avoid or search for (besides the obviously warned about SPOILERS), or even any discussions anyone would like to have with a first time reader of the series; I am ready to jump in to speculation, story discussion, cultural relevance (including some things that need to be left behind in terms of mindsets).

I am happy to be here and excited to delve further into the world than I originally thought I would. 

Thank you all!

Welcome, Reyr!

Is funny how the Wheel of Time can suck you in, hey... 

DM is certainly the place for such 'nerdom' and discussions! It's also a pretty great community (this from somebody who first stumbled upon it in 1999 in a search for similar ? ).

Check out the discussion boards if you haven't already (most spoilers there should be easily marked??). Feel free to post up new topics and queries as you go along, too!

And if you're into writing fiction, and would be keen on getting into the rp here, we'd be happy to have you poke around/throw out ideas/instigate stories there also ?

Cass, thank you for your welcome and response. I will definitely be checking out the discussion forums, probably with a little hesitation to begin new topics as I'm sure they have all been brought up. But I look forward to getting involved. 

I didn't know there was an RP section to be interested in but that intrigues me greatly. How would one get started there?

No worries! Can't wait to see what you get up to, and definitely don't hesitate too much with posting ? It really is a pretty easy-going community, and there's no great harm done if you raise something of interest that might have been raised before - posts etc. can be shifted if really bothersome, and it's always fun seeing the series again through the ponderings of fresh eyes/times/minds!   

I hadn't frequented the discussions area for a while (until your post), but heads up - DON'T click on the recent 'An opinion of Nynaeve' post unless you want spoilers which include a (very neat) breakdown of several very important events in the series, including the end!

Yes, we have RP (since the beginning of the site, but the boards etc have changed plenty of times since then) ? . Players come in fits and starts these days, but it can be a lot of fun. There are two main sections at present - one based on the Wheel of Time world and one anything-goes. One gets started in the latter simply by posting here, and the former by thinking of a WoT-esque character they'd like to RP and writing a basic biography as application. From there, access is granted to the relevant planning boards etc and the author can post their stories/join in 'In Character'. If you're keen on more details, there's a very detailed post here that outlines step-by-step and etiquette etc. Feel free to hit me or the RP-boss @Taymist, up with any questions along the way!