DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

FoL- Your Lights (discussion)

Cross

with so much darkness in the world, especially given the previous year, it's been my determination to make the new one brighter. it's not something we can sit back and wait to happen on its own, or hope that things merely brighten up. rather its our choice as to how we react and how we MAKE the new year. 

as with the calling of Aes Sedai, to be servants to all, i think it's easily also applied to being Lights to all. 

so in that vein, let's share ideas, experiences and what we do to be a Light to the world. what can we do to brighten someone's day? how can we start to shift our mindsets out of darkness and pandemic and drama into one of light so we can be a lantern to our neighbors and the world by extension? do you already spread your light? if so how? 

being there for people is key. though can also  be draining on us who are stepping in that gap. 

on a smaller level i like to think that my work brings a little light into people's lives. if they read a funny strip, or escape into a comic, or read a book taking them into another world. providing that, even momentary, escape i hope shines a light for people

I've been percolating on this one for a couple of days. The past year has not impacted me the way it has many others, and I carry a bit of guilt for it. Granted, I recognize it is ridiculous, and I do keep it in check, but it doesn't change the fact I still feel it sometimes. I spent a lot of time last year feeling like I need to give back somehow, because so much was given to me, but taken away from others. And since COVID limits in-person things, it was difficult for me to find ways to balance this within myself. So I decided to support as many local businesses as I could by buying local, as well as donating what I could to fundraisers and to those needing help.

Emotional support has been more difficult, as I have been feeling a bit empty in that department for awhile now. My role in life has always been being there for others, providing support and encouragement. I'm a positive person, and have a way of finding the words/actions a person needs to help them along their way. Unfortunately, I don't really have that in return, and with some significant family stuff happening since last summer, what is going out exceeds what is coming in. I will say it has gotten better the last couple of months, however, I am still working to replenish what has been given. Regardless of all this, though, I still give all I can to help others see the silver lining that is indeed there.

For everyone: from now until the end of the year, make a pact with yourself. Promise that you will take a moment to step outside, close your eyes, and deeply breathe in the air. As you do, take in what you smell, what you feel on your skin, and what you hear around you. Hold that breath for a moment, reflecting on those things. As you exhale, relax all your muscles, letting the tension drain away. Open your eyes, and look at the world's beauty for what it is. The vibrancy of the colors, the movement of the wind. Do this every day. I'd be willing to bet that by the end of the year (most likely much sooner), you'll look within and find a peace, a balance, in your soul.

silver-lining.jpg

Edited by Phaedra

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 8:28 PM, Cross said:

on a smaller level i like to think that my work brings a little light into people's lives. if they read a funny strip, or escape into a comic, or read a book taking them into another world. providing that, even momentary, escape i hope shines a light for people

It does, very much so. Without the escapism of the arts and culture, our lives would be even bleaker than it already is.