DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which characters do you think can be killed off?

Guest Wolfbrother31

Guest Wolfbrother31

It's no secret that Amazon studios is trying to find the new GoT with the LotR and WoT shows...

So which, if any, characters do you think they'll kill off for the show?

I honestly hope they don't kill off any major characters because that's what I disliked about GoT. But I think they might have Tam al'Thor & some Emond's Fielders die. And perhaps some Whitecloaks and Borderlanders, maybe Intar?? In the first season. 

I don't think they will kill Tam al'Thor. His role is too critical. In fact, I doubt they will kill anyone who we consider an essential character in Season One.

I'm sure some Emond's field folk will die in the Trolloc attack. And random Whitecloaks and Borderlanders will probably get the axe too. But as for actual main character deaths, I don't see it going that direction. At least not in Season 1.

Oh, yikes—I had not even considered that they might take *that* page out of the GOT playbook... if they sex up the show, add modern swearing, AND kill off main characters for shock value, I will probably begin my own Padan Fain-style downward spiral into madness.

That said... I can see how they might talk themselves into offing Tam. And he may well be the most likely of the big stars to go... Tam's heroic death on Winternight could be used as a major catalyst for Rand to flee Emond's field. Kind of makes sense, in a way... otherwise, do we assume Michael McElhatton only shows up in episodes 1 and maybe 2, then disappears for a 2 or 3 seasons before making a comeback when the Two Rivers returns to plotline-prominence? Amazon might indeed view it as very Game of Thronesy to kill off Roose Bolton Tam a la Ned Stark, not at the end of Season 1, like Ned, but the end of EPISODE ONE!!!! AHHHHHH!!!

Or, maybe, just maybe, they have Tam actually accompany the group that flees Emond's Field on theor merry adventures. This could be the sort of big change Brandon Sanderson hinted he was not thrilled about. And it would give the showrunners more time to play with such a great actor as McElhatton, as well. Almost seems a shame not to have him tag along. Anyway, I am totally spitballing, here—I don't know what to think.

WOT doesn’t need to do something a certain way, just because GOT or LOTR or Star Wars or any other franchise did it that way. The story is more then epic enough to be told the way it is in the Books. It doesn’t need Sexing up or true swearing.

One area i think they will increase compared to EOTW is the amount of Channeling, there isn’t actually a lot of Channeling in the first book and thats why it looks like we are going to see Logain’s capture. 

This is gonna be unpopular, but I think the show might actually kill of some main characters that survived, or kill them earlier than when they died. Part of that would be to decrease the bloating of the main cast, but also to freshen up the story for a modern audience.  

Likely deaths most of the fandom agrees on are Morgase (by Rahvin or Valda), Gawyn (much earlier than AMOL), Moiraine and Lanfear dying permanently. 

The show might consider even more drastic deaths. 

1. Elayne by the Gholem (or at the hands of Black Ajah). It changes the Caemlyn plot certainly, but I personally wonder if Elayne is expendable as a main character on the show. Her death would certainly make some waves and liven up the Caemlyn succession situation. 
  2. Lan, dies killing Demandred. I'd cry buckets, but that could be the point.
  3. Siuan (and Bryne) could die much earlier, perhaps in the Seanchan Raid on the White Tower. Leanne as well, but even earlier than that. Perhaps in the coup attempt.
  4. Rand can die at the end. The body switch is gonna be hell to explain for the show and Tam's eulogy will hit that much harder.
  5. Faile at the last battle, just to up the stakes and torture Perrin and the audience.
Edited by Carebear Sedai

20 minutes ago, Carebear Sedai said:

This is gonna be unpopular, but I think the show might actually kill of some main characters that survived, or kill them earlier than when they died. Part of that would be to decrease the bloating of the main cast, but also to freshen up the story for a modern audience.  

Likely deaths most of the fandom agrees on are Morgase (by Rahvin or Valda), Gawyn (much earlier than AMOL), Moiraine and Lanfear dying permanently. 

The show might consider even more drastic deaths. 

1. Elayne by the Gholem (or at the hands of Black Ajah). It changes the Caemlyn plot certainly, but I personally wonder if Elayne is expendable as a main character on the show. Her death would certainly make some waves and liven up the Caemlyn succession situation. 
  2. Lan, dies killing Demandred. I'd cry buckets, but that could be the point.
  3. Siuan (and Bryne) could die much earlier, perhaps in the Seanchan Raid on the White Tower. Leanne as well, but even earlier than that. Perhaps in the coup attempt.
  4. Rand can die at the end. The body switch is gonna be hell to explain for the show and Tam's eulogy will hit that much harder.
  5. Faile at the last battle, just to up the stakes and torture Perrin and the audience.

I can absolutely see some of these things happening. I just don't see them doing it in Season One. They need to spend some time connecting us with characters so that if they do make these moves, the emotional payoff is worth the change.

I don't expect we'll get a main deaths until Morgase or Gawyn, but surely a lot of side characters might end up dying in the meantime to up the stakes. The Tairen Ferry man Brandon Sanderson's set pictures spoiled set a precedence in my mind. I could see the Grinwell family, Tinkers involving Aram's grandparents, and other named tertiary people dying. Darkfriends, trollock, and fades killing all along the boy's path would certainly damage these kids' psyche and kickstart their personal developments that much faster. I could also see a few Black Ajah kills to follow.

But I'd think the more "shocking" part of the show in the beginning is how our young naive heroes becoming killers of their own. Perrin gets his first death this season. Egwene, Rand and Mat in book 2. Each of those is a moment in their own rights. 

Edited by Carebear Sedai

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see anyone dying in Season 1 because it wouldn't hurt. I don't see a high body count of secondary and tertiary characters just because the audience will notice if you create named backgrounds just for the purpose of killing them and you don't want to waste too much time building up others for no reason. Also, I don't see them killing characters that would force radical change; like killing Gawyn in the tower fighting wouldn't do that but killing Elayne would. They're already expanding Logain, Elaida and probably others, you don't want to build up a whole new character in the middle of your series.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is the rumor of adding a character specifically to do in Episode 1 so there is that.

I am of 2 minds of this whole thing.

On one side I want them to stay as close to the books as possible.

On the other hand, I can see them wanting those dramatic water cooler moments.

If I was going to vote for the shock "death" it might be Perrin.  They could kill him but still have him appear in the wolf dream ala Tel'arinrhoid 

I don't think Rand, Mat, Perrin, Elayne or Nyneave can die. If  you kill anyone, I think it's Egwene, earlier that supposed to and Gawyn. @Elder_Hamanthinks Gawyn and Galad should be merged and I see that as an option but I think killing him is better for the story.

Like I and others have said, you have to look at killing characters like Balefiring people. Killing Perrin would require too much work to fix as would Faile, much as some don't like her.

I don't agree but I wonder like an earlier post said, would they leave Moraine dead? I don't like it and you'd have to change a few things, like Mats arc, unless she expects to be alive but the Fins accidentally kill her. I say leave her dead because Rosamund won a golden globe, may win an oscar and who knows what else. Amazon and the show people will probably do a cost benefit analysis of keeping her, and paying her, vs leaving her dead and building up someone new they don't have to pay as much.

Edited by mistborn82