Jump to content

DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The First Wednesday of 2021


What Will We Get?  

5 members have voted

  1. 1. What kind of content will we get for #WoTWednesday tomorrow?

    • Moiraine's costume
      0
    • Mat's dagger
      1
    • Perrin's hammer
      1
    • Trolloc/Fade design
      0
    • Short teaser with show footage or official logo/promo art
      3
    • Full trailer
      0
    • Nothing at all - like the pit of Shayol Ghul
      0
    • Other (explain in the comments)
      1

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/06/21 at 06:00 PM

Recommended Posts

I think we will see something tomorrow for sure, but my hunch is it will be something of a kind no one is expecting. The same way they showed a glimpse of the Winespring (a location), then followed that with Rand's sword (a familiar item), then Thom's guitar (a new item), I think our next reveal will be categorically different... A character outfit (like Moiraine's cloak) or monster design is a possibility, but I do not think they will show us any cool monsters before the trailer drops. As for a logo or promo art, my spider-sense tells me we are not quiiiiite there yet. What does that leave? I don't have a clue! 😮 ...Maybe a photo(s) of a character in costume, but from an angle where we can't quite see everything...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it will be more in the lines of a short teaser, probably going somewhat more in-depth a with some of the bigger changes/additions to the story from the books.  One consistent thing from the last couple of teasers and Q&As from Rafe is that he wants to prepare us book fans, which likely comprise 99.9% of the show followers at this point, for some big changes that had to be made for production reasons as much as for storytelling ones.  I think we'll see something more along those lines, possibly something to do with Logain's expanded story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

I think we'll see something more along those lines, possibly something to do with Logain's expanded story.

That would be awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be right; I have noticed that theme creeping into the dialogue more and more, as well. I must say, I am ready for anything with this show, but I was rather jarred by the comment 'gird your loins.' Seems a far cry from what we have been hearing all along about staying true to the spirit of the books and Harriet and Brandon signaling their general approval and whatnot. I hate to inject even one iota of pessimism into the conversation, but 'gird your loins?' Not feeling it. 😒

 

I am totally down for an expanded Logain storyline; I love almost all the casting and am willing to be won over by any actor I have doubts about (I'm looking at your, Thom); I understand very well the need to adapt, change, trim things down, and add stuff; and yet... 'gird your loins?' For what, exactly? A sexy, muscular, masculine, brooding 'gleeman' strumming a guitar in a drab travelling cloak that maybe has some dingy, dirty colored patches on the inside, singing a gloomy song that sounds like The Rains of Castamere remixed? Rafe says the costume designer nailed it, and I am willing to wait and see... but I would be lying if I claimed a little part of me is not disappointed that we will not be seeing an older Thom with wild white mustachios and twinkling eyes, playing a harp fit for a court bard, swirling around before the fireplace in a colorful patchwork cloak! 

 

Again, not trying to judge the thing before they have a fair chance to show us their work, but I sometimes wish I could take out a full-page ad in Hollywood and tell them that just because you want your next show to be as successful as Game of Thrones, does not mean you have to copy Game of Thrones' exact tone and texture. Look what happened to Superman when they tried to emulate the world-weary grittiness of Batman Begins with one of America's brightest, most optimistic superheroes. Not good. Not utterly, irredeemably terrible, but not good. On balance, the Wheel of Time is not nearly as gritty, grungy, grubby, dirty, soiled, mucky, bloody, and smutty as the world of Game of Thrones... I really hope they do not think it is there job to make it so. So, here's hoping I am wrong about all this... but 'gird your loins,' I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm for something to do with Fire because we've gotten Iron and Music.

@Borderlanderas for the gird comment, it could be about moving story elements around, like Perrin's storyline will probably start immediately, instead being dragged out or Caemlyn not being there, or the like.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a big worry of mine, too. Not specifically as it relates to Thom - he's never been a favorite of mine - but we all have our favorites and major changes will definitely be jarring.

 

But you're right in that copying GoT's tone will not work for WoT. WoT needs to strive for it's own tone - one that I hope will be part horror, part psychological thriller, and part political drama. There are elements of GoT that can be woven into this show. But I hope it leans into not away from it's fantasy roots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with being worried about some changes.  I kinda understand why they went with a younger, grittier look for Thom, particularly if they're gonna keep or expand upon his romance with Moiraine, which was very subtle in the books and took a lot of people by surprise.  It would look weird to have Moiraine fall for a white-haired old man well past his prime.  Audiences would have a hard time buying it.  I'm more concerned with other sorts of potential changes.  How are they gonna handle Thom's sacrifice?  Are they gonna leave viewers with the impression that he's dead for half the season, barring a few mysterious statements from Moiraine?  Or are they gonna spoil us, but not the characters, and show us more of his life on the run after that, because it's hard to keep an actor on the payroll while having a long absence before he returns to a regular status?

 

And how much of this expanded Logain storyline is gonna dominate later seasons?  I can buy an expanded early arc for him for the sole reasons of introducing Aes Sedai politics earlier on and stressing the importance of the danger the Reds in particular and Aes Sedai more generally pose to the boys.  I could even buy replacing the Caemlyn bit from the books with those scenes, but only if they make them take place in Caemlyn anyway.  Put him on "trial" and still him there, and have Rand's demonstration of his ta'veren-ness be his stumbling upon/overhearing those proceedings and getting away, rather than falling off a wall and meeting a princess.  

 

I dunno what they'll do, though.  Moiraine's supposed to be the "star" of this show, or at least this season, moreso than Rand.  I don't know how much of the narrative they'll add or change or cut to accomplish that.  Just have to wait and watch, I reckon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

I agree with being worried about some changes.  I kinda understand why they went with a younger, grittier look for Thom, particularly if they're gonna keep or expand upon his romance with Moiraine, which was very subtle in the books and took a lot of people by surprise.  It would look weird to have Moiraine fall for a white-haired old man well past his prime.  Audiences would have a hard time buying it. 

For sure. I think they want to give him sort of a "rock star" quality. Gleemen have that by virtue of their profession in the books. But it's probably easier to show that on screen by making Thom embody that rock star quality rather than dropping a bunch of clumsy dialogue about how cool gleemen are in general.

 

24 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

How are they gonna handle Thom's sacrifice?  Are they gonna leave viewers with the impression that he's dead for half the season, barring a few mysterious statements from Moiraine?  Or are they gonna spoil us, but not the characters, and show us more of his life on the run after that, because it's hard to keep an actor on the payroll while having a long absence before he returns to a regular status?

I don't think Thom will sacrifice himself. Instead, I think the group will part ways with him when they leave for Fal Dara and he'll reappear in Cairhien not as "wow, Thom's alive!" but "oh yay, it's Thom!" That should happen somewhere in season 3. This wouldn't be too dissimilar from Alexandre Willaume's work on "The Last Kingdom" where he appeared in the very first episode, then not again until season 2.

 

46 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

And how much of this expanded Logain storyline is gonna dominate later seasons? 

I doubt too much. We'll just have him as a character we pay attention to. When you think about it, he intersects with main characters quite a bit early in the series: Elayne, Egwene and later Min in Tar Valon; Siuan and Leana following the coup; Nynaeve in Salidar; etc.

 

50 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

I dunno what they'll do, though.  Moiraine's supposed to be the "star" of this show, or at least this season, moreso than Rand.  I don't know how much of the narrative they'll add or change or cut to accomplish that.

I wouldn't think too much. I think Moiraine's "starring role" is based on her being the biggest badass of the first season. She and Lan are going to be the ones saving the day. By virtue of that, she'll be the easiest character to root for initially (kinda like Ned Stark) and also the vehicle for carrying most of the water in terms of early worldbuilding (also kinda like Ned Stark).

 

You're right though. We're just gonna have to WAFO.  All I know is that the anticipation is killing me! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

I'm for something to do with Fire because we've gotten Iron and Music.

@Borderlanderas for the gird comment, it could be about moving story elements around, like Perrin's storyline will probably start immediately, instead being dragged out or Caemlyn not being there, or the like.

 

I would be psyched if we see one of Moiraine's "fireballs" in this case. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw that reply as well.  I wasn't really expecting nothing today, but stuff happens, or fails to happen, I guess.  It does rather speak to either a lack of planning, or a lack of urgency regarding the desire to hype us up for an upcoming release, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perrins Hammer!!!

We are still talking about Season 1, bit early to talk about.S6 or S7 isn’t it For the Power wrought Hammer or S2 or S3 for the one he was given in Tear?

Actually at this stage it would be more likely the Axe he left EF with.

Edited by Harldin
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harldin said:

Perrins Hammer!!!

We are still talking about Season 1, bit early to talk about.S6 or S7 isn’t it For the Power wrought Hammer or S2 or S3 for the one he was given in Tear?

Actually at this stage it would be more likely the Axe he left EF with.

Good point!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thrasymachus said:

I just saw that reply as well.  I wasn't really expecting nothing today, but stuff happens, or fails to happen, I guess.  It does rather speak to either a lack of planning, or a lack of urgency regarding the desire to hype us up for an upcoming release, though.

Or a marketing plan that doesn't envision giving the fan base a free preview.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

As opposed to all the previous "free previews" they've been handing out?

Right.

The marketing plan may have included tossing the rabid fans little items like casting announcements and prop reveals like Tam's sword on Wednesdays. It may not include releasing something like a teaser trailer or a full trailer ahead of the national marketing campaign.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, but it's not like we got a little teaser or prop reveal or anything.  We got nothing.  On the first Wednesday of the new year, the year in which the show is expected, if not all but confirmed, to be released.  After making WheelofTime Wednesdays a thing.  After saying we could expect an increase in activity from @WoTonPrime only barely a month ago.  Look, I'm not expecting a release until this Fall, and I'm not really expecting any kind of uptick in teasers or prop reveals or any of that, nor a full trailer for at least a couple more months.  But even I expected something today.  That there's nothing says something.  It says they didn't even have a little teaser or prop reveal or casting announcement or anything to show us today.  Either they wanted to, but things behind the scenes weren't ready for it yet, which speaks to the state of behind the scenes production more generally, or they didn't have any plans to release something today, which speaks to the lack of urgency in keeping the fans hyped and glued to their twitter account for more news.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

Sure, but it's not like we got a little teaser or prop reveal or anything.  We got nothing.  On the first Wednesday of the new year, the year in which the show is expected, if not all but confirmed, to be released.  After making WheelofTime Wednesdays a thing.  After saying we could expect an increase in activity from @WoTonPrime only barely a month ago.  Look, I'm not expecting a release until this Fall, and I'm not really expecting any kind of uptick in teasers or prop reveals or any of that, nor a full trailer for at least a couple more months.  But even I expected something today.  That there's nothing says something.  It says they didn't even have a little teaser or prop reveal or casting announcement or anything to show us today.  Either they wanted to, but things behind the scenes weren't ready for it yet, which speaks to the state of behind the scenes production more generally, or they didn't have any plans to release something today, which speaks to the lack of urgency in keeping the fans hyped and glued to their twitter account for more news.

Or - and bear with me here my pessimistic friend - it means we are going to get something big very soon.

 

The NFL playoffs begin this weekend. The college National Championship game is Monday. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed, but not bummed out. Clearly, this is all part of The Master Plan. Bear with me...

 

Had they done some sort of cool reveal today—or any announcement at all—2 weeks after Thom's guitar, it would be tantamount to promising us that the timeline for these reveals was reliably accelerating (since the guitar was 3 weeks after Rand's sword) and that we could also expect something cool next week, following a 3-2-1 pattern. And after the 1... what then? Only something truly epic would slake our thirst, to quote the venerable Davey Jones. Perhaps they aren't quite ready to commit to that just yet.

 

But, if they feed us again next week, they can maintain the goodwill by demonstrating that *approximately* every 3 weeks we will get a cool tidbit to tide us over, and they can play that game for a few months if they need to until they are ready to really roll out the big release-date announcement/teaser-trailer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...