DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Be Happy Have Fun in 2021

Welcome to another year where we put an emphasis on being happy and healthy with our bodies and lifestyles!

While many of us focus on weight loss as a measure for our goals, there are many other ways to achieve a healthy body and a healthy lifestyle.

This is a place to discuss meals, exercise suggestions and goals, self care tips, and support all around!

Feel free to join in, offer encouragement, and be motivated!

Awesome thread!

I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I'm trying to adjust my diet, but eating well is more expensive, and the rest of my family doesn't want to change with me, so I'm doing this alone. My approach is to make small changes, a little at a time. Medication is helping a lot, too, but I know I could do better with my diet. 

Making changes alone can be so hard, Lily!  We are here to support you when you need it!

What types of changes do you plan on making?  Will you be cutting out carbs and processed sugars, increase exercise and veggies?  Diabetes runs in my family so I'm always concerned that I'll get it as well.

Here’s what I had for dinner today: taco salad!

74BB03B8-8097-4D0E-9F93-5FBDCDA98131.jpeg

It was about 500 calories.

Ingredients:

1 serving Boca meatless crumbles

1/2 tbsp cooking oil

2 tsp low sodium taco seasoning

1.5 servings of lettuce

1/8 cup Mexican shredded cheese

A handful crushed Cool Ranch Doritos

This could be easily adapted to include any other kinds of meats/cheeses/chips/toppings.  It was SO yummy and the Doritos added such a great flavor and crunch!

9 hours ago, Mashiara Sedai said:

Making changes alone can be so hard, Lily!  We are here to support you when you need it!

What types of changes do you plan on making?  Will you be cutting out carbs and processed sugars, increase exercise and veggies?  Diabetes runs in my family so I'm always concerned that I'll get it as well.

Yes, exactly those changes. 

First, I pretty much eliminated soda. I have maybe one a week. I cheated a bit over the holidays, but I'm back on track. I know I'm never going to give up chocolate, but I'm using portion control there. 

The change I'm working on now is to eat veggies every day. That's harder than it sounds, when nobody else eats them in my house. I think my next attempt at this one is going to be bagged salad with some added veggies. 

The funny thing is that it doesn't really run in my family, but both my brother and I got it. 

I'm so here for you Lily! Over the course of the last two years, I've lost about 40 lbs...20 of that within the last 6 months. I'm 5'3", and was at 174. I am now at 133. It's so hard for me to be transparent about those numbers, but I'm making an effort to be accountable and open, as it helps me be real and honest with myself. I, too, am alone in this journey, and even now, though I feel I'm in a good routine, it's still hard sometimes (a lot of times) when the husband eats whatever in front of my face, especially knowing I struggle with weight. So yeah, I get it.

It was pretty much done with calorie counting (max 1200 calories a day), and increased exercise. I do have a cheat day once a week. It used to be twice a week, but when I cut it down to once a week, that's when the last 10 lbs came off. I never thought I'd be under 140 again, but here we are 💙.

I am here for you to love and support you!! I will happily make videos to send to you for encouragement and laughs, and I might even sing you a song or two 🤣.

My personal goal this year is to keep the weight off, and to run/walk 1000 miles.

Edited by Phaedra

Thanks, Phae!

It turns out that my dog needs to lose another 10-15 pounds and I don't feel comfortable giving him less food than he is getting now (I've already cut him back) so I guess we'll be walking now. That will be good for both of us. 

Congrats on your progress @Phaedra!  That's amazing results!

My current routine is pretty similar.  I started budgeting 1200 calories a day last August.  I increased my veggie/fruit intake.  I focused on cooking meals instead of fast food.  This really helped me lose the weight pretty quickly.  I was down 20 lbs at the end of November.

Since then, I have not been as strict with myself.  I have started intuitive eating, which is listening to my body cues to know when I'm hungry and when I'm full.  Some days I stay within the 1200 range, others I got up to 1500.  I don't worry when I do.  The way to maintain the weight loss is to have a sustainable routine.  There is no way I'm going to make sure all 365 days of my year are within the 1200 range.  It's just not possible.  So letting up a bit and still keeping my weight balanced is my goal.

I've been maintaining my current weight for the past two months--even through Thanksgiving and Christmas!  I am eating whatever I want, but I am stopping when I'm full.  This is groundbreaking for me!  I'm so pleased with my results and my balance.  

Now that the holidays have passed, I do anticipate to lose a few more pounds.  But if I don't, I'm at a weight I'm comfortable with.

I am 5'2" and I'm currently (because I weigh myself daily) 136 lbs.

@LilyElizabeth walking with your pup is a great idea!  Every little bit of movement you can do is a benefit!  I've also found that walking outside really improves my mood.  Especially since the weather is so favorable in Arizona right now.  LOL!  Take advantage of it while it lasts!

That's definitely a good thing, but also a future issue. Getting into a routine of walking is good, but having to change/break it in the summer is not. I'm one of those people who examines a whole issue, and I need to just do it!

If you have a nice area to walk in, that's really great! And if you do it with a doggie, even more fun 🙂

One of the previous Green Heads lost an enormous amount of weight - I'm still dumbstruck and in aw by how much will power and perseverance that must have taken. I think it took her 3 or 4 years.